A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 296,695
Currently Running With Scissors:
645 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 157
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Frugal Living Swap (SIGNUP CLOSED; MAIL BY 2/6/2010)  (Read 93355 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

amymisha
« Reply #660 on: January 07, 2010 05:40:32 AM »

I'm kind of a crazy couponer, and one of the first times I went shopping with my boyfriend he looked at me at the end and said, "Teach me to do that!" So, I've taught him what I know. We've been together for 6 years now and he still calls every time he gets a great deal...."You'll never guess what I just got for 50 cents using a coupon!!" : ) It's cool, because now he's been unemployed for over 6 months, and is really flexing his cheapskate muscles.

My favorite coupon tip.... write a generic email that says something along the lines of "I really enjoy using your products. Could you put me on your snail mail list and send some coupons or samples?" Then gather together email addresses of companies (If I can find my list, I'll post it). Then mass send it. You can customize it as you wish for each company, but you'll be amazed at how many GREAT coupons you can get. You can usually do this once every 4-6 months. I do it for veg/vegan/organic companies and get TONS of free item coupons this way. Free. Totally free. Free miso, free whatever. The companies are usually really great about it. Eden foods will send coupons and samples of grains and pastas. Amy's will send free item coupons and high value coupons. And it's through email, so it's free....just takes time. But once you have the email list you just need to remind yourself to send that email every half year or so. Hain Celestial is great about sending coupons, otehr big companies are too.

My tip for the day....

I have an un-frugal fiancee!! I hate when he goes grocery shopping because he never looks to see what's on sale... and I'm not sure what he spends his money on, but we never have money. we always seem to be streching to make things work the last few days before pay day. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
flower
« Reply #661 on: January 07, 2010 06:43:10 AM »

You are a rock star!  I would love a copy of that generic e-mail!  Thanks for the great tip.  Smiley

My favorite coupon tip.... write a generic email that says something along the lines of "I really enjoy using your products. Could you put me on your snail mail list and send some coupons or samples?" Then gather together email addresses of companies (If I can find my list, I'll post it). Then mass send it. You can customize it as you wish for each company, but you'll be amazed at how many GREAT coupons you can get. You can usually do this once every 4-6 months. I do it for veg/vegan/organic companies and get TONS of free item coupons this way. Free. Totally free. Free miso, free whatever. The companies are usually really great about it. Eden foods will send coupons and samples of grains and pastas. Amy's will send free item coupons and high value coupons. And it's through email, so it's free....just takes time. But once you have the email list you just need to remind yourself to send that email every half year or so. Hain Celestial is great about sending coupons, otehr big companies are too.

My tip for the day....

School is cancelled.  I'm going to get ahead a little more on lesson planning then I plan  to start crafting for this swap!  I'm gong to make something that I could use myself or give to my partner.  Wooo hoo!  On a sadder note, I accidently put my $4 Abercrombie wool sweater in the dryer yesterday!  Sad  Boo!!!  Oh well.  Now I have more felted sweater supplies.  Grr!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

amymisha
« Reply #662 on: January 07, 2010 06:48:18 AM »

Here's the email list (some might bounce..it's old)- Just copy/paste it into the BCC field, I put my own email in the to field.
amy@amyskitchen.net, bernie@annies.com, info@anniesnaturals.com, info@aroracreations.com, info@barbarasbakery.com, marketing@bocaburger.net, TalkToUs@smallplanetfoods.com, feedback@cedarlanefoods.com, info@cedarfoods.com, info@edenfoods.com, MOOSEWOOD@FFKINC.COM, askus@fantasticfoods.com, info@fieldroast.com, info@FollowYourHeart.com, acole@gardenburger.com, news@thehainfoodgroup.com, kashico@kashi.com, infor@lightlife.com, question@lundberg.com, pfo@pacificfoods.com, office@primalspiritfoods.com, info@SpectrumOrganic.com, info@tastybite.com, tofutti@nac.net, info@tofurky.com, info@turtlemountain.com, robin@wholesoyco.com, info@zoefoods.com 

And here's the generic email I just sent, edit to your heart's content....
Hello,
My name is Amy. I'm a single mom of a 15 year old daughter. I've been vegetarian for 22 years and my daughter has been veg since birth. She's 15 now. I work two jobs right now and it's really important for me to be able to have high quality food she can make herself readily available to her! (And me, I don't have much time to cook!)

We both really love your products and rarely see coupons in the paper. I was wondering if you have any coupons for your products you might be able to send via snail mail? Or samples of new things? I have to be pretty frugal so I mostly use coupons on everything.

My address is:
Amy Barker
(my mailing address)

If you have a snail mail newsletter list, or can send coupons or samples, I would REALLY appreciate it!

Thanks for the great food!
Amy

You are a rock star!  I would love a copy of that generic e-mail!  Thanks for the great tip.  Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged
cjclark
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.

Inside a dog it's too dark to read.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #663 on: January 07, 2010 07:48:08 AM »

On a sadder note, I accidently put my $4 Abercrombie wool sweater in the dryer yesterday!  Sad  Boo!!!  Oh well.  Now I have more felted sweater supplies.  Grr!!

At least you only paid $4 for it. I am wearing a wool sweater right now I got for free (there was a clothing exchange - you bring your unwanted stuff and swap it for an equal amount of other people's unwanted stuff) and if it went into the dryer I'd be pretty bummed, but not as bummed as if I had paid full price at the mall for it! I generally hand wash / dry flat my wool sweaters anyway, so they don't even get close to the dryer. Safer that way!

Maybe you can make cute mittens out of it or something.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Woohoo! Baby Clark is on the way. Due October 24th.
BabyCakes8510

*Sparkly like a holiday*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #664 on: January 07, 2010 08:13:13 AM »

You know, I hear that you save electricity by unplugging things you aren't using, even more than just turning them off. Smiley

IT IS TRUE! 
The hubs and I decided we were going to test it out. We picked two months that would be generally the same as far as electrical use. Neither month required heat or AC. One month we operated like normal. The next month we unplugged what we were not using. ie: phone chargers, coffee pot, toaster, lamps. Before bed we unplugged the tv and computer (if they weren't already). We compared bills. There was a $15 difference! I thought that was significant. And once you get into the habit its easy to remember.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jenna_Gayle
« Reply #665 on: January 07, 2010 08:36:01 AM »

Alright I caved. Smiley I said I was not going to join another swap and I did...I am just learning too much and seeing too many kindred spirits here not to join in. Smiley

Cant wait for partners. Smiley

By the way you were chiming in... I figured this would happen!   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Live neither in the past nor in the future, but let each day's work absorb your entire energies, and satisfy your widest ambition. ~Sir William Osler
Jenna_Gayle
« Reply #666 on: January 07, 2010 09:04:30 AM »

Best eating in the world:

A mom and pop restaurant in the South with rough hewn wooden walls, rolls of paper towels at each table, and where you spread newspaper on the table, and they spill out a big tub of boiled fresh crawfish and corn on the cob.

That goes for BBQ too! We always say if it's tumble down and looks like it should be condemned, it probably has great BBQ!

That is sooo true!!  There's a little BBQ shack in a close town that we absolutely love.  It looks like it's really about to fall down.... sitting under a huge oak tree with cut wood surrounding it.  You walk up to a little window, place your order and wait around with all of the old me sitting in the rocking chairs outside!  The first time I tried to take DH there he resisted, but I promised the best BBQ he'd ever tasted..... we try to stop by there at least every other weekend!   Cheesy  Guilty pleasures!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Live neither in the past nor in the future, but let each day's work absorb your entire energies, and satisfy your widest ambition. ~Sir William Osler
dharma_rebel
I'm a little bit country, and I'm a little bit rock and roll.

put a bird on it

« Reply #667 on: January 07, 2010 09:39:55 AM »

amymisha you rule! I just sent out an email, and I already got a reply from Amy's! I also saved them all to my address book so I can do it again in a few months. Thanks for sharing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Aikibookworm
Dangerously clever and resourceful.

« Reply #668 on: January 07, 2010 10:41:32 AM »

I'm wondering if there'll be school tomorrow.  Probably.  What closed the school wasn't the snow (only a couple of inches) but the wind and plunging temperatures.  This area just isn't equipped to handle the -5F we're facing.  Also, the rural roads are BAD from the freezing rain and sleet that came before the snow.  There was already a fatality in the Boothill this morning -- woman's car slid off the road and into a ditch filled with water.  The cold water killed her.  So, it was a school bus issue.  Some of the schools that have announced they'll be open tomorrow have already announced early closing tomorrow (1pm) because of worries that the high wind gusts are going to take out the power and because of adequate heating worries.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Let's hear it for the hippies and the yippies!"
- John Lennon in the song Give Peace a Chance

my wist:  http://www.wists.com/Aikibookworm
amymisha
« Reply #669 on: January 07, 2010 11:08:34 AM »

amymisha you rule! I just sent out an email, and I already got a reply from Amy's! I also saved them all to my address book so I can do it again in a few months. Thanks for sharing!

Amy's is GREAT! I love her meals.... They usually send at least 1 or 2 free coupons.

I also go to websites of foods I like a beg, I mean ask, for coupons. It is nice to get the free item ones, but every little bit helps, especially with the organic and veggie foods! I also love the books of coupons at Whole Foods, pretty much the only reason I go there. Those coupons, put out by Mambo Sprouts, are good anywhere. So I just take them to Stop n Shop or Shaws where I can get the ones under a dollar doubled.

Glad I could help.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 157 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Behind the Scenes: Endless Knight Cover Shoot
Discover 5 Ways to Improve Your Memory
Precious Blood by Tonya Hurley
Turney Duff on Galleon, Goldman and Cocaine
Meet Katherine Parr in Queen’s Gambit
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...