A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,132
Currently Running With Scissors:
367 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 157
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Frugal Living Swap (SIGNUP CLOSED; MAIL BY 2/6/2010)  (Read 95198 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

psychonmemphis
« Reply #610 on: January 06, 2010 01:14:40 PM »

my man does not eat vegis at all unless it is in spaghetti or chili!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

13 Days of Halloween: co-organizing
Coraline swap rd 4: organizing
 http://www.etsy.com/shop/psychonmemphis
I would really like to swap for a quilt for christmas, i will swap anything from supplies,crafts to my etsy shop items! please pm me asap!
Avabrowneyes

Genius is like lightning--it comes and it goes.

View Profile
« Reply #611 on: January 06, 2010 01:22:41 PM »

Hey Ya'll! 12 hours of not logging in and 8 new pages have appeared. Whew.

I don't have time to read up at the moment, but I wanted to thank whoever suggested the book Grandmother's Kitchen Wisdom. I swapped for it on PaperBackSwap and just got it in the mail. Guys, this book is a treasure trove. It covers everything, including making your own shampoo. I'm off to experiment now!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lylanni
« Reply #612 on: January 06, 2010 01:28:30 PM »

Thanks itchyfingers! I'll have to try that.  I think the thing he doesn't like is when the beans are the star of the dish.  He doesnt mind the taste of them, I think it's the texture.  Like I said he likes chili...which is kinda odd.  But if there is meat and rice in it i think he might try it Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jenna_Gayle
« Reply #613 on: January 06, 2010 01:49:50 PM »

Best eating in the world:

A mom and pop restaurant in the South with rough hewn wooden walls, rolls of paper towels at each table, and where you spread newspaper on the table, and they spill out a big tub of boiled fresh crawfish and corn on the cob.
MMmmmm, makes me want Low Country Boil!!!

I grew up in Jacksonville Fl and i learned to swim when my sister pushed me in a lake at my dads work that had gators in it, not so funny then but hilarious now, i did swim though!

We have visiting gators in our ponds quite a bit- we live right in the middle of the swamp just west of the Okefenokee if anyone's familiar with it.  One even made it up to the in-laws car port (he was only about 3 feet).  We were standing on the bank of the large pond (about 2 acres or so) fishing one afternoon and our pup was on the dock straight across the pond.  We had just seen one of our visitors swimming by a few minutes earlier, so we called the dog over just to be safe.  Well, I guess we should have left her alone because she dove off of the dock and swam the whole way over to us!!  I about ___ myself!!!  She finally made it over to us safe and sound, but I don't think she'll ever try that again!!  Crazy little bean head!!   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Live neither in the past nor in the future, but let each day's work absorb your entire energies, and satisfy your widest ambition. ~Sir William Osler
psychonmemphis
« Reply #614 on: January 06, 2010 02:16:16 PM »

ahhhhhhhhhhhh that sounds scary!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

13 Days of Halloween: co-organizing
Coraline swap rd 4: organizing
 http://www.etsy.com/shop/psychonmemphis
I would really like to swap for a quilt for christmas, i will swap anything from supplies,crafts to my etsy shop items! please pm me asap!
itchyfingers

Baby is here - at long last!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #615 on: January 06, 2010 02:26:43 PM »

We have bear and moose up here but alligators seem way scarier to me.  Maybe because I've never actually seen a bear within city limits (although I think my husband has) and the moose only get aggresive if you freak them out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Baby number four is here and he's a boy!!  Time to start using all the great stuff I got from a bunch of Craftster friends:
Baby Shower in a Box

Wists
grenouille78
« Reply #616 on: January 06, 2010 03:00:02 PM »

Whew! I caught up again. I like the ideas that are coming out of this thread. Is it the 8th yet?!?! I want to make stufffff! Instead, I've been re-reading my Tightwad Gazette books. Gotta get in the proper frame of mind, y'know.

This past summer I threw together a solar cooker. I baked a couple batches of cookies in it; it was cool! Until the wind blew down my reflector. I want to make a more permanent version this time around. I've got several more months of rain ahead before it's even worth attempting again. That and line-drying the laundry (on my clothesline strung up between the house, a fence post and a small tree.  Cheesy) I know, I know, some people do it in their house, but I don't have a good out-of-the-way spot to string up another line. I defrosted my freezer this morning, something that has needed done for... um, way too long. Wow! All the room in there now that it's not half full of ice! I got rid of some old stuff, too. Several years ago I used to do bulk cooking with things I bought on sale. I'm going to try to start doing that again. Gonna have to invest in ziploc bags unless someone has a better idea. I'm also going to put a list on the freezer door of what I've got in there.

Thanks itchyfingers! I'll have to try that.  I think the thing he doesn't like is when the beans are the star of the dish.  He doesnt mind the taste of them, I think it's the texture.  Like I said he likes chili...which is kinda odd.  But if there is meat and rice in it i think he might try it Smiley

This is my exact dilemma! I would love to use beans more often and there are so many bean dishes that sound good, but dh will have nothing to do with them. He says it's the texture, too. I totally don't get that because I can think of a lot of other foods with more offensive texture than beans, but whatever. He absolutely will not eat chili with beans in it. He will eat refried beans at the Mexican restaurant, but he always mixes them up with the rice. Here was a thought I had the other day: what if I cooked and mashed the beans and then mixed them up with raw ground beef. Do you think it would all hold together when I brown the ground beef? Do you think it would fool him? haha Has anyone tried such a thing? I made a beet cake awhile back and he was none the wiser. hee hee

Does anyone else have a dh or so who is resistant to frugal living? Sometimes I feel thwarted at every turn. He doesn't necessarily buy the most expensive of whatever, but if he gets it in his head that he wants something, he just goes and buys it instead of trying to find other solutions or making do with an older model. We have free housing and no car payments so we ought to have a ton of money in savings, but we don't. Where does it all go? I'm not sure because I've never been able to nail him down to work on a budget with me. Looks like I'm just going to ahve to take matters into my own hands. It sure would be nice to have some help on it, though, instead of feeling like I'm swimming upstream. Anyone else feel like that?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lylanni
« Reply #617 on: January 06, 2010 03:18:30 PM »

I don't know if the bean mashing would work, grenouille78,  but it sounds like a really good idea to me! I might have to try that lol.  I'm forever hiding veggies anywhere I can in dishes as my husband and son both are extremely picky.  Try pureeing broccoli in spaghetti sauce...worked like a charm and neither knew it  Wink

As for resistance, I'm in the same boat.  It's not that he goes out and buys a bunch of stuff, but he refuses to cut back on things we're already spending on (Cable for instance, or cheaper cell phone plan).  I feel your pain at being thwarted Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Aikibookworm
Dangerously clever and resourceful.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #618 on: January 06, 2010 03:32:21 PM »

Whoa!  Grocery score on the dried beans!  Yeah, you!

Itchyfingers -- Did you see the Mythbusters where Grant, Kari, and Tory dealt with moose?  Too funny.

Well, I am a happy camper because I just found a vintage blue Ball canning jar at the thrift shop for 50cents at the local thrift shop and will be making the soap dispenser on my wist, now!  (Sorry, onegroovyday!)  *goes off to delete the soap dispenser from my wist*  Now, I'm going to try to make up the homemade liquid handsoap to put in it! Cheesy

ETA:  My picky, picky son doesn't realize he's eating bell peppers and carrots in spaghetti sauce.  And, I also use chili as a way to sneak in a bunch of veggies.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010 03:41:36 PM by Aikibookworm » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Let's hear it for the hippies and the yippies!"
- John Lennon in the song Give Peace a Chance

my wist:  http://www.wists.com/Aikibookworm
onegroovyday
Tutorial Contributor

"UNLESS"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #619 on: January 06, 2010 03:42:08 PM »

Whoa!  Grocery score on the dried beans!  Yeah, you!

Itchyfingers -- Did you see the Mythbusters where Grant, Kari, and Tory dealt with moose?  Too funny.

Well, I am a happy camper because I just found a vintage blue Ball canning jar at the thrift shop for 50cents at the local thrift shop and will be making the soap dispenser on my wist, now!  (Sorry, onegroovyday!)  *goes off to delete the soap dispenser from my wist*  Now, I'm going to try to make up the homemade liquid handsoap to put in it! Cheesy

hey thats supposed to be my soap dispenser.... Wink...... if ya find another one..... its mine, right?.......I'll trade you something for it... Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 157 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How To Highlight and Contour Your Abs
How To Make Blackhead-Removing Mask
Missing Beauty Products From the U.S.
A Frizz-Free Braid That’s Perfect for Summer
How to Fix a Smudged Nail
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...