A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,030
Currently Running With Scissors:
679 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 157
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Frugal Living Swap (SIGNUP CLOSED; MAIL BY 2/6/2010)  (Read 94641 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

rottenlittleboys

Inspiration without application is moot.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #530 on: January 04, 2010 07:34:12 PM »

Don't know if I mentioned this or not earlier, but I reuse the plastic mesh that some produce comes in.  (Onion and garlic are two that come to mind).  If anyone happens to have some laying around and wants to know what to do with it, I'd LOVE some in my swap stuff!!  Grin Grin

Me too! Pot and people scrubbers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rottenlittleboys

Inspiration without application is moot.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #531 on: January 04, 2010 08:07:46 PM »

I had seen the request for more info on Mother Earth News, but I've been hesitant to answer in an effort to be tactful.

OK, first off, it's a good magazine, and I get to read it for free at the library.  I wouldn't buy it, though.  I do get a lot out of 2 or 3 articles per issue.  But, in recent years, M.E.N. has, oh how to put this?, lost some of it's outsiders/alternative edge.  It's gotten a little more mainstream, hip, and corporate.  Don't get me wrong, it's still better than 90% of the tripe on the news stand!  But, I'm just sad that a hippie mama has gone alterna-yuppie, if that makes any sense.

I have to second this. I still really enjoy the mag, but it does not cover the 'basic-basics' anymore.

If you are just getting into the scene, it is a good step off point.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

imafundork
« Reply #532 on: January 04, 2010 08:09:28 PM »

I am having such a hard time keeping up with this thread. Y'all are just too darn chatty!!!  Shocked

my heat is working again.. Grin... tried to turn it on yesterday.. (first time in 5 plus years, South Fla. resident)..... highs in the low 50's, which isnt bad when its only for a couple days... but we are getting a good long week or so of this weather.... I had to give in.....I feel kinda bad complaining about 50's when there are some of you out there in sub zero.......

I did however make some really yummy 'FRIGERATOR SOUP' this weekend..(stove on = warmer house)........ that is I opened up the frige and what ever was in there went into my soup.... tomatoes, carrotts, celery, tofu, beans.... and a whole bunch of spices that I picked out of the pantry with my eyes closed.........then I had to throw in some brown rice too....... I was really impressed....its way yummy...... and I have enough for the week.....

My heat is on too. I hate using it or the AC, but I just couldn't bear it any longer.  Your soup sounds yummy....any extra for your long lost friend, Kara?! Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Wistful Thinking
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
cjclark
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.

Inside a dog it's too dark to read.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #533 on: January 04, 2010 08:30:43 PM »

Just out of curiosity, is anyone else in this swap from Indiana?

I'm not from Indiana currently, but I grew up there. :-) We make it back a few times a year to visit family (mainly my parents).

As for all the other stuff... yes, Mother Earth News used to be MUCH better. I grew up reading it as my parents were early subscribers. My Dad has about 15-20 years worth of the magazines stored in the garage. My parents also have the entire set of Foxfire books (which I also grew up reading). I have three of them on my bookshelf now that I borrowed last time I was up there.

I think the most frugal thing we do food-wise is make a pt of beans. We usually do it in the crockpot, but it can be done stovetop as well. Make a big pot of just plain beans on Sunday (black beans, pinto beans, navy beans, whatever we are in the mood for) then I use them in a variety of dishes all week. We might have a bean soup, bean salads, just as a side dish with some spices, rice and beans, bean stew, refried beans. Yeah, and if we can't get to them all, they freeze well too. Best part of beans - cheap, healthy, low fat, easy.

That's all I can think of. It's supposed to be something like 15 degrees here in Texas tomorrow. I've lived here for long enough my blood has thinned out and I'm just freezing when it's like this. Tomorrow, I'm breaking out the long-johns.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Woohoo! Baby Clark is on the way. Due October 24th.
Avabrowneyes

Genius is like lightning--it comes and it goes.

View Profile
« Reply #534 on: January 04, 2010 08:41:40 PM »

oohh..Avabrowneyes ..I have knitted some AWESOME fingerless mittens this winter... Wink

*leans forward with interest* Oh, realllllyyyy?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Aikibookworm
Dangerously clever and resourceful.

« Reply #535 on: January 04, 2010 09:26:27 PM »

*shivers*  As I type this, it is 16 degreesF outside, but the wind chill is 4 degreesF.  We are still dropping.  It's supposed to be 10 degreesF with a wind chill of 0 degreesF or less tonight.  Tomorrow morning will be layers, layers, layers on both me and kiddo!

On the cold winter note, most of us probably remember the Laura Ingalls Wilder books from our girlhood.  This afternoon over lunch, I got out a copy of The Long Winter I got a while back by used book trade at my friend Sarah's store.  I've long liked the book and have been in the mood to read it again lately.  Talk about a perspective check!  I'm going to be reading it aloud to my son chapter by chapter over the next few weeks of bitter cold to lend a little dose of reality to our situation vs. what could be.

My local library subscribes to a magazine I have really come to enjoy called Herb Companion.  I usually take at least a page of notes out of each issue.  I wouldn't pay to subscribe, but I do gobble up each new library copy eagerly.  Some of you may enjoy taking a look.

I've been rereading this thread and compiling my interlibrary loan list for when I'm at the library to do ESL tutoring in the morning.  In addition to the 3 I raved about above (those 3 are sooooo WONDERFUL!!!), I also want to recommend the following books to y'all.  These are all books that are precious enough to me that I bought my own copies (including one bought brand new *gasp!*):

The More With Less Cookbook by Doris Janzen Longacre   
This is a thrifty classic for a reason, folks!  It is more than a recipe book.  It is a book on spiritual/environmental/humanity responsibility that is also full of great tasting, international, thrifty recipes.  Christian (Mennonite) slant but useful to even those outside of the faith -- anyone of a thrifty mindset with a sense of responsibility to the larger world.
http://www.amazon.com/More-Less-Cookbook-World-Community/dp/083619263X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1262668429&sr=1-1

Living More With Less  by Doris Janzen Longacre
This book will put some firmness in your frugality backbone and some heart into your thrifty/environmental/spiritual conscience.  It stands on its own, but there is a synergistic effect when combined with the above cookbook.  I love this book!  Same religious disclaimer.
http://www.amazon.com/Living-More-Doris-Janzen-Longacre/dp/0836119304/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1262668491&sr=1-1

Encyclopedia of Country Living, 10th ed. by Carla Emery
I actually paid brand new price for this on amazon because, at the time, used copies plus the cost of shipping were about equal to new with free shipping price.  I recommend this to ALL of you as a library book/interlibrary loan.  Will it be useful for all of you to own?  No.  Will it be edifying reading for all of you?  Yes.  Even if you don't get a whole lot of practical use out of it (and, even urban condo dwellers will be surprised at just how much thrifty efficiency you can glean), the mentality of the book is inspiring.
http://www.amazon.com/Encyclopedia-Country-Living-Carla-Emery/dp/1570615535/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1262668115&sr=1-1

For those of you who are, like me, history freaks and are intrigued by WWII homefront efforts like rationing cards, victory gardens, and Rosie the Riveters, this is a cookbook that is also full of lots of pages of history lessons.  I had interlibrary loaned it and liked it so much that over the course of a few months, I watched and waited for a cheap enough used copy to become available that I could own.  This likely isn't a book that all of you would be interested in owning, but it is a VERY interesting read and a good perspective check.  And, for those of you who have historical interest like me and also like recipe books like me, this is a great treat!  (Used copies are outrageously expensive at the moment.  I think mine was $4 years ago, but they are over $30 now on amazon used!  Still, worth snagging via the library!)

Grandma's Wartime Kitchen by Joanne Lamb Hayes
http://www.amazon.com/Grandmas-Wartime-Kitchen-World-Cooked/dp/0312253230/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1262668335&sr=1-3-fkmr1

Here are links for the books I mentioned in an earlier post. (I cannot rave enthusiastically enough about these 3 magnificent books!  They are huge favorites!)

Tough Times, Strong Women
http://www.amazon.com/Tough-Times-Strong-Women-ILLUSTRATED/dp/0898212030/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1262668955&sr=1-1

We Had Everything But Money
http://www.amazon.com/We-Had-Everything-But-Money/dp/0898210992/ref=pd_sim_b_5

When the Banks Closed, We Opened Our Hearts
http://www.amazon.com/When-Banks-Closed-Opened-Hearts/dp/089821257X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1262669012&sr=1-1

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Let's hear it for the hippies and the yippies!"
- John Lennon in the song Give Peace a Chance

my wist:  http://www.wists.com/Aikibookworm
Mizell
Give me yarn or give me death!

« Reply #536 on: January 04, 2010 09:33:44 PM »

wow, this thread sure has grown! I have a lot to go back and read, but I saw a post about refrigerator soup and it made me smile, I did the same thing two days ago..although I did not pick my spices with my eyes closed..I'm not that brave:)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

One year of marriage and he's still alive!!
Personal Swaps Are Go
Crafty detective swap:sending soon
Alphabet inchies: sent
Frugal swap 2: signed up
yarnies vs sewists: awaiting partners
http://www.wists.com/cmizell
Blog: everyone else has one! http://knitkitsch.blogspot.com/
Roxsun40
« Reply #537 on: January 04, 2010 09:38:15 PM »

I just sent my questionare in! This will be my first swap and I am already looking up ideas!!!!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

edie22
« Reply #538 on: January 04, 2010 10:13:12 PM »

if anyone needs cowls/fingerless gloves/hats crocheted, personal swaps are always an idea... its completely cheap to stuff a cowl or some fingerless glvoves in a padded envelope.  Even with a DCN, its like $3 -- just as an idea.

I am another oneo of those ones freezing in South Florida.  we had to get a new AC last summer and I don't think the heat option works very well. me and the husband are  huddled under blankets and I stole the rice pack and am using it as a neck warmer.  Its very nice!! Hot cocoa too is a good idea for us right now!!

A lady at work brough in a purse organizer to show me how she made it and it looks like it'd be simple to make and helpful because I'm always switching bags and leaving something important behind (usually my phone charger). 

On crockpots - man, I use mine all the time.  I made potroast in it this weekend, And I usually make potroast or a pork roast in it.  I am going to check out that crock pot site because I love cooking in it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Swaps!
-Yarnies vs Sewists - crafting
-Giant Multi-Theme Swap rnd 3 - stalking

http://www.pinterest.com/edie22
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #539 on: January 04, 2010 10:36:32 PM »

I love the pot of beans and refrigerator soup! Tonight I made egg drop soup with chicken and about a ton of veggies (mushrooms, corn, peas, spinach, water chestnuts, broccoli, carrots). So far this year I've been rocking the cooking at home, taking my lunches to work, and sneaking extra veggies into every dish! Spinach and broccoli made it into our breakfast scrambled eggs too. My bf wanted to go out to eat tonight and I actually resisted and said we were cooking in again Smiley

I love veggies and eat a ton of them, and am not currently vegetarian but was in the past, but up until about a year ago I still got Vegetarian Times magazine, which is pretty good. I still have all my back issues, so I think a project one of these days will be to go through them and pull the recipes I want and then see if someone would like me to pass them on to them!
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010 10:37:26 PM by MareMare » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 8/13

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 157 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Top Liquid Foundations For Fair to Dark Skin
Carrie Underwood Collaborated on Nail Polish Line
4 Must-Have Skin Care Ingredients
Massage Your Way to Better Skin
Best New Beauty Products For August
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes
Meatless Monday: No Meat Lasagna

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...