A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 301,508
Currently Running With Scissors:
414 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 157
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Frugal Living Swap (SIGNUP CLOSED; MAIL BY 2/6/2010)  (Read 105873 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cjclark
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.

Inside a dog it's too dark to read.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #500 on: January 04, 2010 11:19:31 AM »

I was going to suggest hummus as a snack too. It's extremely cheap if you use dried chickpeas to make it. Basically, chickpeas, garlic, a little olive oil/tahini/even peanut butter if it wasn't too sweet/almond butter/etc (some type of oil basically) and lemon. Or, just mash the chickpeas and flavor to taste. Good on veggies, crackers, warmed up and stirred into pasta or rice... um. Yum. I think I'm going to have some for lunch!

And we eat a ton of popcorn here. We spent $14 on an air popper at Walmart so we don't have to use oil or butter for popping it. We spray it with a bit of butter flavored cooking spray and sprinkle on "popcorn salt" which is a fine grain salt. It has a lot of fiber so fills you up and I find I pretty much have to have a glass of water with it, so that fills me up too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Woohoo! Baby Clark is on the way. Due October 24th.
Aikibookworm
Dangerously clever and resourceful.

« Reply #501 on: January 04, 2010 11:30:44 AM »

I had seen the request for more info on Mother Earth News, but I've been hesitant to answer in an effort to be tactful.

OK, first off, it's a good magazine, and I get to read it for free at the library.  I wouldn't buy it, though.  I do get a lot out of 2 or 3 articles per issue.  But, in recent years, M.E.N. has, oh how to put this?, lost some of it's outsiders/alternative edge.  It's gotten a little more mainstream, hip, and corporate.  Don't get me wrong, it's still better than 90% of the tripe on the news stand!  But, I'm just sad that a hippie mama has gone alterna-yuppie, if that makes any sense.

If I can swing it out of my tax return (most of which is already spoken for), I am eager to subscribe to Countryside.  I can't get it locally and only get to enjoy it when I can pick up a copy when I'm in the city which isn't often enough to get every issue.  It is more radical than M.E.N., has a tight knit reader community, doesn't shy away from controversy, and is all about hardcore homesteading yet with much information that nonhomesteaders/noncountry folks can glean.  Countryside is much more out there/hardcore/fringe than the modern day M.E.N.  Homesteading, off the grid electricity, self-sufficiency, food and water issues, etc.

http://www.countrysidemag.com/
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010 09:45:39 PM by Aikibookworm » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Let's hear it for the hippies and the yippies!"
- John Lennon in the song Give Peace a Chance

my wist:  http://www.wists.com/Aikibookworm
amymisha
« Reply #502 on: January 04, 2010 11:56:30 AM »

I need to say a big hear! hear! for the info on Mother Earth News. I own the first 5 years, carefully scavenged together through used book stores and a few ebay lots years ago. I have pretty much stopped reading it now. If you can get your hands on any of the older issues from the early 70s, they area TREASURE TROVE of info. They used to have all their old articles online, but now it seems their website is just ads ads ads. : ( But it's worth scouring yard sales, used book shops etc. I love them and read them often.

I love Countryside magazine too, but rarely read it.

Anyway, just wanted to say yay on the old MEN.

Even though I am an urban kid, I still find the info useful. We have a great Urban Homesteaders meetup group here in the Boston area, so I don't feel like such a weirdo! : )
Amy

I had seen the request for more info on Mother Earth News, but I've been hesitant to answer in an effort to be tactful.

OK, first off, it's a good magazine, and I get to read it for free at the library.  I wouldn't buy it, though.  I do get a lot out of 2 or 3 articles per issue.  But, in recent years, M.E.N. has, oh how to put this?, lost some of it's outsiders/alternative edge.  It's gotten a little more mainstream, hip, and corporate.  Don't get me wrong, it's still better than 90% of the tripe on the news stand!  But, I'm just sad that a hippie mama has gone alterna-yuppie, if that makes any sense.

If I can swing it out of my tax return (most of which is already spoken for), I am eager to subscribe to Countryside.  I can't get it locally and only get to enjoy it when I can pick up a copy when I'm in the city which isn't often enough to get every issue.  It is more radical than H.E.N., is a tight knit reader community, doesn't shy away from controversy, and is all about hardcore homesteading yet with much information that nonhomesteaders/noncountry folks can glean.  Countryside is much more out there/hardcore/fringe than the modern day M.E.N.  Homesteading, off the grid electricity, self-sufficiency, food and water issues, etc.

http://www.countrysidemag.com/
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amymisha
« Reply #503 on: January 04, 2010 12:01:27 PM »

Also wanted to add....I may be quite for these next 2 weeks or so. I do gift entry for 2 nonprofits and my crazy head about to explode season is drawing to a close. I'll have more time to chime in, craft and stalk my partner after my favorite semi-national holiday, Martin Luther King Day (the day all nonprofit gift entry guys and girls get to take a deep breath and clean their desks off!). Right now, I'm still working about 10-11 hours a day. Ugh.
Amy needs sleep, a massage and a valium!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pantsafari
« Reply #504 on: January 04, 2010 12:11:58 PM »

Oh I feel so bad for those of you in cold climates!! I live in So. California, and it has been a beautifully warm winter. If Im paired up with any of you that live in cold places, I would love to make you some wristwarmers/fingerless gloves, slippers etc...I love making things like that but dont often get to use them!

Also on the topic of Crock Pots...My future MIL gave the BF and I one for christmas...BEST GIFT EVER. I would love some good crockpot recipies. Ill definately be checking out that blog that was mentioned.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The never ending quest for pants continues...
donniesgirl
« Reply #505 on: January 04, 2010 12:12:46 PM »

bleepity bleep bleep - I went off for a few days & there are 30 more pages!

On Mother Earth News, I bought my first issue this last weekend based on a quick thumb through in the checkout stand & was pretty disappointed when I got it home.  The "gardening in a small space" article was kind of a puff piece & I got nothing from it.  Plus, there was nothing about gardening in more difficult climates than the author's Nor Cal home which, frankly, is as mild as it gets.  Her plants were tomatoes, peppers, lettuce, and basil, which are great, but pretty generic.  I'd love something with more on more unusual plants like amaranth - I see that in the catalogs & have no idea how to harvest it.  Then the barley bit had 4 recipes, 3 of which were generic ol' barley recipes that could've been from any generic magazine.  Well I'm glad it wasn't just me - I'll have to check out Countryside.

My dad just bought us Dave Ramsey's Total Money Makeover for Christmas - WOW!  I'm not that far into it, but it sure is eye opening.  And it's making me think even more about being frugal.  The timing is perfect for it, coinciding with this swap and the new year.  I'm seeing so many areas that I could change in our budget and that even though we haven't fallen prey to a lot of the typical money traps, we have still not been using our money to its best advantage.  I'd really love to keep all this in mind when I'm crafting for this swap - particularly using what I already have and avoiding buying things...but then that's sort of a rule, isn't it? Smiley

Yep!  Check out his free podcast too - it's on his website.  I have all his FPU CDs, I'm a CPA, & I still learned things.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010 12:32:21 PM by donniesgirl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

donniesgirl
« Reply #506 on: January 04, 2010 12:20:39 PM »

On a side note I have a question for all you creative gals with regards to snack foods. Or moreso healthy-use-what-you-have snacks. I almost always get a bit hungry in the middle of the day but don't EVER know what to snack on. I'll either end up defaulting to junk (which I hate) or not eating anything at all (which makes me a million times more hungry when dinner rolls around) I just didn't know if you guys had any good suggestions. I already do the veggie sticks but just looking for something else.

I'm starting my new year with a "clean eating" approach & I've been reading Tosca Reno's Clean Eating Recharged book & one of the best ideas she had in there (IMHO) was "emergency breakfast in a bag."  She puts oats, a scoop of protein powder, dried fruits, nuts, and wheat germ into single serving baggies to keep in her office or take in her purse.  Her idea is she's rarely anywhere that can't get you a cup of hot water, like a hotel or work.  Then you just add the "emergency breakfast in a bag," stir, and voila.

The other thing I spent most of last weekend doing was canning soups.  I figure I can control what goes into them & canning them in single serving sizes means I can take them to work, pour into a mug, heat & voila.  I also did some bigger jars in case I wanted it for a meal for DH & I.  I did 6 soups last weekend: four squash with tomato & orzo, greens with garlic (kale, chard, mustard greens, spinach), carrot, corn crab, lentil vegetable, and salmon miso (I am actually adding the miso separately after heating since you're not supposed to bring it over boiling).  I figure I'll make another batch of soup every weekend or two.  That way I don't reach for the junk in the vending machine. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jenna_Gayle
« Reply #507 on: January 04, 2010 12:29:57 PM »

They are a bit more commercial than they used to be, but I still get good info from them.  If you can get your hands on the CD collection you should check those out   Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Live neither in the past nor in the future, but let each day's work absorb your entire energies, and satisfy your widest ambition. ~Sir William Osler
amymisha
« Reply #508 on: January 04, 2010 12:38:44 PM »

Oooh also... Backwoods Home is quite good too. A little more libertarian in focus, but some great articles... many are up online...
http://www.backwoodshome.com/article_index.html#mo

Back to work. I just pop in while doing imports. Ugh. 1 more hour. Then 2 or 3 more hours. Then bed.
A.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
IdlersDesign
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

« Reply #509 on: January 04, 2010 12:59:51 PM »

Oooh also... Backwoods Home is quite good too. A little more libertarian in focus, but some great articles... many are up online...
http://www.backwoodshome.com/article_index.html#mo

Back to work. I just pop in while doing imports. Ugh. 1 more hour. Then 2 or 3 more hours. Then bed.
A.

Interesting magazines (although I was a bit shocked by the long list of arm-related articles  Shocked); I really should pay a visit to the American Book Center here.

Talking about writings from the '70's...I've got the classic "Complete Book of Self Sufficiency" by John Seymour http://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Book-Self-Sufficiency/dp/0751304263, a kind of frugal bible  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

`No one should do for me that which I can reasonably do for myself D.H. Lawrence

pinterest
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 157 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Easter Crafting Ideas
Glowing Giant Spider Web on the Cheap
Using Dead Trees as Halloween Decoration
How to Make a Polymer Clay Rosh Hashana Magnet Part 2/2
Creative Play Date Activities
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Mirror Wall
January 21, 2015 Featured Projects
January 21st is Squirrel Appreciation Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...