A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 296,684
Currently Running With Scissors:
657 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 157
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Frugal Living Swap (SIGNUP CLOSED; MAIL BY 2/6/2010)  (Read 93333 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dharma_rebel
I'm a little bit country, and I'm a little bit rock and roll.

put a bird on it

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #270 on: December 29, 2009 05:50:35 PM »

I'm hoping my partner would like to exchange notebooks (or even e-mails/word docs) with favorite grocery shopping tips and recipes and other ways to save money and time in the kitchen. Like, buying meat in bulk and cooking it up and then several diferent recipes you can use with it (there's some kind of food network show that does that!)

*raises hand* Yep, that's something I do! I'm a part-time single mom (long story) to a toddler, so I only need to make so much food. I bought a freezer with my last tax return and I buy meat at costco. Some gets frozen straight away, some, like ground beef, gets cooked up with onions and garlic then frozen. I can use that for tacos, spaghetti sauce, chili, casseroles. I also split up casseroles into small portions and freeze them. In the summer I can or freeze stuff from my garden.

My crappy Christmas and a nasty case of pregnancy-depression have also kept me quiet.  I don't suffer from postpartum depression - I get to deal with it while I'm pregnant.  And then yesterday I started having contractions and I still don't know whether they're preterm labour, bad Braxton Hicks or a bladder infection.  So I'll quite possibly be staying quiet while I try to rest and get rid of these things - it's WAY too early for me to have this kid (as in, no way it would survive) so I don't want to risk anything.

I too loved the pink power ranger idea..although I might go with Wonder Woman or something similar.  As tiring as it is breastfeeding and caring for a new baby, it's my favourite stage of life - I can't wait to be doing it again in May.  I just weaned my youngest in August so it won't have been a long break, but I always get excited to nurse again...it really relaxes me.

Wishing I could give you a great big hug! I hope you have an extra supportive partner and are getting some relaxing time in. I miss nursing my little one soooo much. What a great excuse to kick back and put your feet up for 15 minutes. I have no idea how much I saved on formula. I also pureed a lot of my own baby food (and I'd also dump some into my own food, a la Deceptively Delicious). So much cheaper and better for baby!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dharma_rebel
I'm a little bit country, and I'm a little bit rock and roll.

put a bird on it

« Reply #271 on: December 29, 2009 05:58:55 PM »

Double post, sorry!

The only bad thing about the fleece draft dodger I would think(okay, this is for my house, not neccessarily your mom's Smiley ) it would collect dog hair like wild fire!

Yeah, a fleece draft dodger would be bad news at my house. On the other hand, fleece swiffer covers are a godsend.

I bet you could make one like you'd make a bolster pillow (is that what they're called?) only longer and skinnier. You could tie the ends and then fray them. Might be kinda cute, in the right place.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mink_bikini

A very proud Craftster best of 2012 awardee

« Reply #272 on: December 29, 2009 06:46:48 PM »

Just had another idea, how about crafting a frugal gift giving kit for b.days, etc throughout the year:
* Reusable gift wrap i.e Fabric gift bags or just square fabric in different sizes that can be returned to you when the person has opened their gift (assuming you are giving the gift in person, not if posting)
* Handmade cards with blank insides would save a fortune throughout the year.
* Gift tags - repurpd/fabric ones for family that could be reused each year perhaps.
* A bunch of those gift tag bows made from magazines/newspaper/scrap paper would save someone some cash and look really nice or just some cool paper to make your own.
* Old fabric scarves could also be used as wrapping (furoshiki?)

Apologies if this idea has alreday come up but I am not completely caught up on the back pages of this awesome thread.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Liralen

"What a crazy random happenstance."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #273 on: December 29, 2009 06:47:29 PM »

Oh my gosh, I don't think I'll be able to keep up with you guys.  I type a lot, especially when excited as my questionnaire will show, but I'm pretty sure I'll be mostly quiet on here.  Too many good ideas are making my head spin.  And too many things I forgot to put on my list that I'd like to receive or make.  I'm sure I'll be sending my partner another book of things to add to the list.

I didn't even think about jewelry.  I also like to receive/make headbands from scrap fabric, magazine beads, and there are some other ideas I've had that I haven't done yet.  

Embroidered snark is awesome.  And I LOVE embroidered tea towels.  I only have one right now but I used to love my grandmothers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Follow your inner moonlight, don't hide the madness."  -- Allen Ginsberg

http://musedcreations.blogspot.com
Tanza
Angel in the making....

« Reply #274 on: December 29, 2009 06:49:21 PM »

Jenna-Gayle, where are you?  Sounds like you aren't too far from my parents (Dothan, AL).

As far as all those out grown boy's shirts, I just took a big bag of outgrown 10 and 12 pants from my son and gave them to the guidance counselor at his elementary school.  She discretely saw that they reached the family of a younger boy who desperately needed them.

I had originally planned to just throw them in the back of the closet to hold until a spring yardsale.  But, things are so awful around here, I couldn't in good conscience not find a need.

our schools don't do anything like that here, they have a second hand box but most parents.....we live in a low socioeconomic are mind you, would rather buy brand new, *go figure* we all dress mainly from a second hand shop with the odd new item here or there.

I told master 12 I was doing this and was promptly told that HE wanted the blanket.....soooooo ooo I have enough shirts to make 2 lap size(larger ones) without backings, BUT I just went through the bag of small mesn clothes I have by the door ready to go out, offered on freecycle 3 times no one wnats them, so of it is almost new....geuss what my partner will be getting, if they want it of course, rag rugs, floor mats, blankets, maybe even some repurposed clothes for kids or smaller sized women....I love sending withint my own country cause then I can send a 3 kg parcel for the same cost as a tiny one to overseas.....

I just cleaned up my walk in pantry too.
loving this swap and it hasn't even started yet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wist
Pintrest

Life is a terminal disease, NO one gets out alive.....The idea is to enjoy it while you can.

Aquarian Spiritual church
PixieVal
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There is no right or wrong, when it comes to making art. Making sure that you have fun is the most important part. -Mickey Mouse

Did he just go crazy and fall asleep?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #275 on: December 29, 2009 06:55:22 PM »

Just had another idea, how about crafting a frugal gift giving kit for b.days, etc throughout the year:
* Reusable gift wrap i.e Fabric gift bags or just square fabric in different sizes that can be returned to you when the person has opened their gift (assuming you are giving the gift in person, not if posting)
* Handmade cards with blank insides would save a fortune throughout the year.
* Gift tags - repurpd/fabric ones for family that could be reused each year perhaps.
* A bunch of those gift tag bows made from magazines/newspaper/scrap paper would save someone some cash and look really nice or just some cool paper to make your own.
* Old fabric scarves could also be used as wrapping (furoshiki?)

Apologies if this idea has alreday come up but I am not completely caught up on the back pages of this awesome thread.

Love this idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cjclark
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.

Inside a dog it's too dark to read.

« Reply #276 on: December 29, 2009 07:26:53 PM »

I'm hoping my partner would like to exchange notebooks (or even e-mails/word docs) with favorite grocery shopping tips and recipes and other ways to save money and time in the kitchen. Like, buying meat in bulk and cooking it up and then several different recipes you can use with it (there's some kind of food network show that does that!)

Oh, now THAT sounds right up my alley. I cooked a 12 pound ham last week (there are only two of us) and then made it into all sorts of things. And this week I made a whopping 7 pound pot roast, followed by beef pot pie, shepherd's pie and beef stew.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Woohoo! Baby Clark is on the way. Due October 24th.
kaz814
Cooking Moderator
Purses, Bags, Wallets Moderator
Reusing, Recycling, Recrafting Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #277 on: December 29, 2009 07:54:47 PM »

On a rather random note ... I'm at my grandparents' this week, and I was putting everyone on little charts (where you live, where you're willing to send to, crafts you can and want, allergies and allergins) and my grandmother was terribly confused by the whole idea of swapping.

"But where ARE these people?  How do you get things to them?"

When she finally got it, she just looked at me like I was crazy.  Little does she know how fun it is! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

guacaMolly
« Reply #278 on: December 29, 2009 08:01:50 PM »

flower-- I eat low carb, and try to do as much whole food cooking/baking as possible, I use a lot of recipes from healthyindulgences. blogspot.com . She is gluten free, and frequently gives the dairy free option in her recipes (ie oil instead of butter or coconut milk instead of heavy whipping cream). Everything I've made from her recipes is amazing.

pixieval, I love the idea about sending craft supplies that wouldn't have to be bought! If anyone is into inchies/altered art/paper ephemera/random watch parts/glass vials, I could totally put together a bit of craft supply spoiling!

Oh my gosh, I don't think I'll be able to keep up with you guys.  I type a lot, especially when excited as my questionnaire will show, but I'm pretty sure I'll be mostly quiet on here.  Too many good ideas are making my head spin.  And too many things I forgot to put on my list that I'd like to receive or make.  I'm sure I'll be sending my partner another book of things to add to the list.

I didn't even think about jewelry.  I also like to receive/make headbands from scrap fabric, magazine beads, and there are some other ideas I've had that I haven't done yet.  

Embroidered snark is awesome.  And I LOVE embroidered tea towels.  I only have one right now but I used to love my grandmothers.

I have developed a serious love of headbands/eawarmers/caloriemetries, I would also love to play with some paper beads. Great ideas!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

emerri
« Reply #279 on: December 29, 2009 08:33:18 PM »

Hey Tanza, your in Australia, where do you get washing soda from?
Ever since having my third bub I seem to go through washing liquid at an insane rate.

I love the idea of doing a pantry inventory too and a menu planner, I really need to get back a love for my kitchen.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 157 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
One-Minute Hair Makeover
What You Need to Change About Your Hair Routine This Winter
How to Do a Plaited Updo
Sleek Ponytail Hair Tutorial
How To Get "Sombre" and Balayage Hair
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...