A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 302,804
Currently Running With Scissors:
494 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 157
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Frugal Living Swap (SIGNUP CLOSED; MAIL BY 2/6/2010)  (Read 93019 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

itchyfingers

Baby is here - at long last!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #260 on: December 29, 2009 02:40:30 PM »

Well, I've just been reading..and reading..and reading for the last few days and hardly knowing what to say!  There are so many good ideas and while I'm certain that I could add to my questionairre, I'm hoping my partner won't mind getting my ideas directly.  I'm afraid I'd rewrite it and send it to Kaz and then think of a dozen more things to add (no, I don't expect a dozen things..I just know how nice it is to have a good list of ideas so you have lots of options when crafting).

My crappy Christmas and a nasty case of pregnancy-depression have also kept me quiet.  I don't suffer from postpartum depression - I get to deal with it while I'm pregnant.  And then yesterday I started having contractions and I still don't know whether they're preterm labour, bad Braxton Hicks or a bladder infection.  So I'll quite possibly be staying quiet while I try to rest and get rid of these things - it's WAY too early for me to have this kid (as in, no way it would survive) so I don't want to risk anything.

I too loved the pink power ranger idea..although I might go with Wonder Woman or something similar.  As tiring as it is breastfeeding and caring for a new baby, it's my favourite stage of life - I can't wait to be doing it again in May.  I just weaned my youngest in August so it won't have been a long break, but I always get excited to nurse again...it really relaxes me.

I like the cheesecloth idea for loose tea.  I have an infusing spoon but the holes are too big for some of my teas so cheesecloth would be great and way cheaper than the disposable tea bags I can get here.  There are tons of other things I could comment on but I just can't keep up to all this chatter!!  I'm amazed at how such a "small" swap has grown and how many pages of talking pre-partners we have.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Baby number four is here and he's a boy!!  Time to start using all the great stuff I got from a bunch of Craftster friends:
Baby Shower in a Box

Wists
Aikibookworm
Dangerously clever and resourceful.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #261 on: December 29, 2009 03:10:23 PM »

As kind of a general shout out since I don't know who my partner will be, this is in addition to my questionnaire.  Plus, I PM a lot of questions back and forth to get a handle on partners (which made Secret Santa REALLY hard!).  I'd be happy to receive a couple of reusable snack bags, homemade olive oil soap (lavender, rosemary, or sandalwood) or peppermint face scrub (esp. if my partner included the recipe to make the scrub), recipes that are thrifty and healthy and use scratch ingredients that are easy to find in a small town with extremely limited resources (note:  recipes that do NOT use hamburger unless the recipe is ok to use ground turkey as a substitute), and anything to help with my herb and container gardening this spring.  If you have any leftover seed packets for starting herbs that you don't plan to use, I would greatly appreciate them and would put them to eager use.  I'd be interested in reusable pantyliners and moderate thickness pads that are very long from front to back and have wings (I'm tall and plus size).  This is gonna sound weird, but if my partner has any extra ice cube trays laying around, that'd be a great freebie handmedown she could throw in that I'd appreciate.  I'd also be tickled pink to receive a big bag of homemade granola or trail mix (no coconut, please).  Homemade granola ... mmmmmmm.  If my partner has any back issues of magazines that she is done with and would like to hand down, I'd welcome that as packing materials in the box. 

Thrifty things I can make from my stash: 
crocheted dishrags/washcloths (yup, yup, yup, if you want these, I've got you hooked up bigtime),
bags (but not with zippers, my zipper skills are not swap skill level adequate, yet, and I don't want to send you shoddy quality),
cross stitch a thrifty reminder motto (esp. if it is snarky LOL),
a crocheted winter hat and/or scarf,
a small patchwork blanket (I have an old blanket that's coming apart that I could recycle the batting from with a new cover if you don't mind.  But, I can't afford to buy new batting.  The blanket would end up being more a throw blanket and less than twin size.),
simple embroideried flour sack dishcloths,
hair barrettes/clips/bobby pins or earrings (if you just want to be spoiled in the midst of being thrifty),
hair bandana/scarves hemmed out of cute fabric from my stash,
bookmarks (use your library!),
pillow cases sewn from fabric in my stash,
a simple needle book to encourage mending.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Let's hear it for the hippies and the yippies!"
- John Lennon in the song Give Peace a Chance

my wist:  http://www.wists.com/Aikibookworm
flower
« Reply #262 on: December 29, 2009 03:18:20 PM »

bags (but not with zippers, my zipper skills are not swap skill level adequate, yet, and I don't want to send you shoddy quality),

Have you tried invisible zippers?  They are sooo much easier than the regular kind and they look nice too! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mammallama
« Reply #263 on: December 29, 2009 04:53:27 PM »

Aikibookworm~  I don't think anyone would mind reused batting.  That's what being frugal is all about! 

There are some pretty awesome ideas in here!  I have a feeling this is going to be a great first swap for me. 

Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #264 on: December 29, 2009 04:56:53 PM »

I'm hoping my partner would like to exchange notebooks (or even e-mails/word docs) with favorite grocery shopping tips and recipes and other ways to save money and time in the kitchen. Like, buying meat in bulk and cooking it up and then several diferent recipes you can use with it (there's some kind of food network show that does that!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 6/2

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
mink_bikini

A very proud Craftster best of 2012 awardee

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #265 on: December 29, 2009 05:04:09 PM »

Ahh itchyfingers, crafting is just what you need to take your mind off everything and I agree with you on the nursing, as a first time mum it's a lovely time with my gorgeous little man and never want it to end.

I have a ton of ideas of things  to make/things I'd like, but I'm going to save it all up and let my partner know. I cannot waiit to get started on this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lydiaharper
« Reply #266 on: December 29, 2009 05:12:47 PM »

Aikibookworm, I would love to be your partner!  I can make alot of the things you want, and you are offering to make most of the things I want!! 

Oh, and just in case (for an FYI) I would LOVE a upcycled blanket/throw.  I like snuggling on the couch with hubby, but it can get chilly here at night.  I made all three of my kids rag quilts for Christmas, but again neglected myself.  LOL

THIS ROCKS   Logged

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #267 on: December 29, 2009 05:23:35 PM »

Does anybody have any ideas on a draft dodger made with fleece? I'm picturing something with layers of fleece with the edges cut like those tie blankets? I really need to make onefor my mom.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PixieVal

There is no right or wrong, when it comes to making art. Making sure that you have fun is the most important part. -Mickey Mouse

Did he just go crazy and fall asleep?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #268 on: December 29, 2009 05:33:10 PM »

The only bad thing about the fleece draft dodger I would think(okay, this is for my house, not neccessarily your mom's Smiley ) it would collect dog hair like wild fire!

I have another idea for a frugal gift, how about a repurpose craft kit? It may have already been mentioned, but like if your partner wanted to make things like: jewelry from bottle tabs, bottle cap magnets, fused plastic, those little folded stars from magazines, package bows from magazines, drink can pendants, etc..
Some kind of crafty kit that your partner wouldn't have to buy supplies for.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #269 on: December 29, 2009 05:35:35 PM »

We don't have any pets, just my 3 nephews that are over here a lot. The worst it could probably pick up would be baby drool lol. I think I'll experiment, and let y'all know if it turns out ok.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 157 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Preparing and Grilling Steaks
How to Grill Hot Dogs
How to Finish Burgers on the Grill
Grilling Burgers, Hot Dogs and Steaks
How to Finish BBQ Chicken on the Grill
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...