A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,222
Currently Running With Scissors:
711 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 157
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Frugal Living Swap (SIGNUP CLOSED; MAIL BY 2/6/2010)  (Read 95482 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Kitten Wrangler
Somewhere, somehow, Connex is to blame

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #210 on: December 28, 2009 04:18:34 AM »

I'm another contemplating joining in... but I can't really think of what would help a single person living in an apartment to be more frugal. I'd be a right challenge, really.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If I should die of smallpox
Put my remains in my snuff box
mammallama
« Reply #211 on: December 28, 2009 04:38:02 AM »

Do you grocery shop?  Reusable grocery totes. 

How about packing a lunch?  Reuaseable lunch pouches.

Drafty apartment?  How about some door draft stoppers?

Ummm....that's it for ideas.  I'm tapped.  LOL!

Seriously, though, I'm sure someone would be up to the challenge.  Perhaps a condo or another apartment dweller may have some ideas?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kaz814
Cooking Moderator
Purses, Bags, Wallets Moderator
Reusing, Recycling, Recrafting Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #212 on: December 28, 2009 05:39:34 AM »

Okay, I know my post is getting pretty out of hand... (I'm still thinking of joining...) What, IYO, is the best kind of sewn pad?? Like, is there a really good tutorial for them? I've read a lot about how to stuff them, and layers and all that, but is there anyone here who knows and has experienced the best way to do them?? I'm also curious if the pad layers, at least on the outside, should be organic... >> Cause I have a really hard time getting to the store, much less finding organic cloth... Help please?

From the ones I have (and I quizzed the person who made them for me), most have just layers of flannel or cotton batting on the inside.  All of mine have fleece as the last layer (farthest away from the body) as a waterproofer.  Some have PUL, but I don't think the ones I have have that.   My friend who makes mine generally uses ugly flannel (remnants!) or batting and layers anywhere between 2-4, depending on if it's an overnighter or a pantyliner.  I think it only has to be organic if you want it to be organic.  I'd wash the fabrics, of course, before sewing them up though, to make sure about no fragrances/dyes and shrinkage.

Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Vote now for the New-To-You Recipe Cooking Challenge!
kaz814
Cooking Moderator
Purses, Bags, Wallets Moderator
Reusing, Recycling, Recrafting Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #213 on: December 28, 2009 05:44:49 AM »

I'm another contemplating joining in... but I can't really think of what would help a single person living in an apartment to be more frugal. I'd be a right challenge, really.

Smiley  I'm a single person living in an apartment/condo and I neeeeed to be more frugal (I'm also the organizer!)  Things I would like are: recipes for smaller portions (seriously, I don't need to cook 4-6 chicken breasts at a time!), things to keep me warm in the winter so I don't have to up the heat (not sure if this is relevant if you don't control your heat), grocery bags, laundry soap (so expensive!), lunch bag, cotton napkins, knit/crocheted dishcloths, knit/crocheted washcloths, utensil roll for my lunch bag, wool dryer balls, dryer sachets, menu organizer (to stop eating out!), soap saver, cloth pads, checkbook cover, draft dodgers ...

Any of these interest you?

We also have another Aussie so you'd be shipping within the country!
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009 05:57:00 AM by kaz814 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Vote now for the New-To-You Recipe Cooking Challenge!
Jenna_Gayle
« Reply #214 on: December 28, 2009 07:00:27 AM »

Speaking of gross and spending money (Cheesy) we don't flush every time we use the bathroom - only if there's a lot of toilet paper or you-know-what in it (ever heard, "If it's yellow let it mellow; if it's brown, flush it down"? Yeah, that's how we roll).  It saves us money since we pay for our water and it's more environmentally friendly also.  However, when you do this, the toilet gets scales of protein in it from urine (yeah, gross, right?) and ordinary toilet cleaner doesn't quite take care of it.  So when it gets bad, I just pour in some bleach and leave it for a few hours and it does the trick.

I have never been able to get rid of the scale in the bottom of the toilet. I even used CLR(really heavy duty cleaner) and it did nothing.......I think for us if we ever sell the house we may need to replace the toilets.....

OK, I'm trying to catch up on all the posts since Wed (15 pages, ah!!) so this may be a little late, but we have terribly hard water at home and get the rings and brown stains in the toilets really, really bad.  My MIL brought over The Works cleaner the other day and that stuff is just amazing!!  We let it sit about a minute and barely had to scrub to get it clean!  We tried everything... even tire cleaner!  Cheesy (Yea, that was in desperation!)  I don't know if you can get that where you're at, but it's worth a try!  The fumes weren't too bad, but I'm not too sensitive to them anyway.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Live neither in the past nor in the future, but let each day's work absorb your entire energies, and satisfy your widest ambition. ~Sir William Osler
cjclark
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.

Inside a dog it's too dark to read.

« Reply #215 on: December 28, 2009 07:23:28 AM »

I think even for single folks (or apartment dwellers too) things like recipes for cooking simple, affordable food at home or things that replace disposable items - dryer balls instead of fabric softener/softener sheets, kitchen towels instead of paper towels, cloth napkins instead of paper napkins, or, for someone interested, cloth pads instead of disposables. Or, as others have stated, draft dodgers, blankets, warm socks, arm warmers to keep the temp lower. Also a hot water bottle & cover to warm the bed.

I would think once partners are assigned we just need to find out what area or why our partner needs to save money. If they are being frugal so they can take a vacation, a piggy bank or change jar with a collage of the goal might be good. If they need to spend less on groceries, then recipes for delicious, low cost homemade meals would be good. If they keep buying craft supplies they already have, some type of organization or listing system for that would be good.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Woohoo! Baby Clark is on the way. Due October 24th.
Ariethine
« Reply #216 on: December 28, 2009 07:26:12 AM »

Smiley I know how it is to be gone for a while and get blown away by how many pages you come back to...

I'm glad we don't have hard water here. I don't think that my skin could take it. It's hard for me to get into a pool or hottub because It makes me think of what the chlorine makes my skin feel like afterwards... >.< I hate that feeling.
I think I read somewhere that water in Kentucky is pretty cheap too, because of the river. But I don't even want to KNOW how little they filter it, and what they put in it... It's really scary when you think about it... that everyone is killing each other and themselves a little bit day after day by all these preservatives, and smoke and smog and... ugh... T.T Even if you try to live a clean and healthy life... you really aren't, because we all breathe and use the same air... That's why I get upset when smokers say they only hurt themselves. (PLEASE NOTE:: I HAVE NOTHING AGAINST PEOPLE WHO SMOKE, IT WAS NOT INTENDED TO BE AN INSULT.) I know a lot of people who smoke (And aren't even old enough to do it anyway) who sit there and say they're not hurting anyone. But gasses from cars and factories and even homes are even worse... T.T

Sorry... Sad I didn't mean to rant... I just... it creeps me out when I think about pollution and it makes me ancy...  
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pamelabd
« Reply #217 on: December 28, 2009 08:17:44 AM »

Hi!

Yay! I am in!!
Our biggest issue here is bags! We recycle the plastic grocery bags but they overflow our drawers....so plastic bag  holders are great! Also, sacks to hold legos, crochet projects, small toys.....oh and crocheted/knitted Swiffer pads are fabulous (cuz the boxes of pads are sooo expensive)......and recycled yarn is wonderful! Got sweaters that don't fit anymore? Unravel them!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*~pamela~*

My Artfire Shop: (crocheted & knit items and Patterns!!)
http://www.artfire.com/users/PDDesigns

My Wists: http://www.wists.com/emililybug
christinacoghill

My biggest fans!

« Reply #218 on: December 28, 2009 08:35:58 AM »

After taking a swap break,,, I decided to join this one.  I have some really cool ideas of what I could send out if my partner would like them.  I have been making my own laundry soap for the last (almost) year, using grated fels napa soap, powdered borax, washing soda, and water.  Our clothes smell great, plus it is so cheap compared to buying it!  I also use vinegar as a fabric softener, dishwasher despotter, and cleaning agent!  I even make my own dishwashing detergent.  I also purchased several bread cooking recipes, from an online book club. Artisian bread making, heathly bread, and my bread... I LOVE THEM ALL! so home made bread is a 3 or 4 time a  week thing in my house. (and  I work a full time plus part time job)

I need to make further cut back this year, since I'm one of those county employees that due to budget cuts are now required to take unpaid days off (19 this year).

One way I plan on using is http://www.angelfoodministries.com/  to make grocery shopping a bit cheaper and more convenient!

the only draw back is you have to make sure you get the food picked up on the order day or otherwise its donated. But we have purchased from them for the last 2 months and have not been disappointed! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jenna_Gayle
« Reply #219 on: December 28, 2009 09:55:01 AM »

I'm glad we don't have hard water here. I don't think that my skin could take it. It's hard for me to get into a pool or hottub because It makes me think of what the chlorine makes my skin feel like afterwards... >.< I hate that feeling.
I think I read somewhere that water in Kentucky is pretty cheap too, because of the river. But I don't even want to KNOW how little they filter it, and what they put in it... It's really scary when you think about it...

I think I probably have the cheapest water possible.... we have our own well!!  We only have the regular filter that it runs through (I just can't afford one of those nice, big, get-everything-out-of-it filters) but I still worry a bit about what all is in there since we're in a huge farming community.  Wouldn't it be great if everybody just grew organically?!?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Live neither in the past nor in the future, but let each day's work absorb your entire energies, and satisfy your widest ambition. ~Sir William Osler
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 157 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Pineapple Part 5/12
How to Crochet a Puff Stitch Part 3/5
How to Crochet a Pineapple Part 3/12
How to Crochet a Pineapple Part 6/12
How to Crochet a Pineapple Part 7/12
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Molded Hot Glue
More Amazing Matchboxes
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...