A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,551
Currently Running With Scissors:
415 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 157
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Frugal Living Swap (SIGNUP CLOSED; MAIL BY 2/6/2010)  (Read 96667 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dharma_rebel
I'm a little bit country, and I'm a little bit rock and roll.

put a bird on it

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #160 on: December 27, 2009 09:00:00 AM »

I can definitely make kits for homemade detergent, it would be soap shreds, borax and washing soda and the recipe to make it, you would need a big pot to boil it in and a recycled detergent type container and water. Or I suppose I could figure out the kind that is just dry, but I really really love the liquid homemade detergent, I don't think the powdered kind dissolves enough (but we do all our washing in cold water)

Smitten! DO IT!

ooooh that would be perfect. I had no idea you could make homemade LIQUID detergent. I've been using homemade powder, but there are some chunks stuck in my washer (I also wash everything in cold). I don't really care though, DD skin is so sensitive, it's the only thing I've found that doesn't irritate it. I also just got some wool dryer balls in a swap and they are fantastic. I'd love 5 or 6 more.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #161 on: December 27, 2009 09:29:19 AM »

Can someone explain the wool dryer balls to me?

Hmm, soap and oil free cleanser? Not sure about that lol. Maybe a nice clay? It wouldn't really be cleansing though. Have you tried castile soap? Or something with jojoba oil, that is not really an oil, it is a wax that closely mimics skin's naturally made sebum. Often times people that seem to have problems with soap really have problems with some of the ingredients in commercial "soap" which is usually synthetic detergent (syndet) bars. Anything called a beauty bar, cleansing bar, etc, that omits the actual word soap is going to be something synthetic that isn't actually soap. I like real soap without any surfectants, mineral oil/other petroleum products. To further cut down on irritation, leave out the fragrances. Um, that's why I make my own I guess, it's hard to find pure stuff on the market  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 8/27

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
mammallama
« Reply #162 on: December 27, 2009 09:59:30 AM »

I'd SO love to make my own soap.  Seems....hard.  Honestly, I haven't looking into exactly how to make soap (I have no clue) but it seems like it would be hard to make.  LOL!

(Just what I need...another crafting obsession).   Wink

Wool dryer balls....I'd like more info on how they work, too!  I did see the tutorial on making them...somewhere.  Do they take the static out of clothes/socks?  Do they get fuzzy after a while or does the constant agitation in the dryer keep them felted? 

THIS ROCKS   Logged
PixieVal

There is no right or wrong, when it comes to making art. Making sure that you have fun is the most important part. -Mickey Mouse

Did he just go crazy and fall asleep?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #163 on: December 27, 2009 10:02:43 AM »

I can definitely make kits for homemade detergent, it would be soap shreds, borax and washing soda and the recipe to make it, you would need a big pot to boil it in and a recycled detergent type container and water. Or I suppose I could figure out the kind that is just dry, but I really really love the liquid homemade detergent, I don't think the powdered kind dissolves enough (but we do all our washing in cold water)

Smitten! DO IT!

ooooh that would be perfect. I had no idea you could make homemade LIQUID detergent. I've been using homemade powder, but there are some chunks stuck in my washer (I also wash everything in cold). I don't really care though, DD skin is so sensitive, it's the only thing I've found that doesn't irritate it. I also just got some wool dryer balls in a swap and they are fantastic. I'd love 5 or 6 more.
Liquid would be awesome! I found a recipe for that on the duggar's website. When I was younger I would get rashes from using powdered detergent so we had to switch to liquid. I wonder if the same would go for handmade, or if it was from one of the chemicals in commercial soap.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Aikibookworm
Dangerously clever and resourceful.

« Reply #164 on: December 27, 2009 10:19:05 AM »

We have such hard water here that it stains bathtubs and sinks.  I've been hoping for a CHEAP detergent option, homemade or otherwise, that'll work better in hard water. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Let's hear it for the hippies and the yippies!"
- John Lennon in the song Give Peace a Chance

my wist:  http://www.wists.com/Aikibookworm
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #165 on: December 27, 2009 10:31:43 AM »

Soap making isn't hard exactly, but there is a decent amount of equipment you have to gather and some safety precautions to take, but of course I think it's totally worth it Grin We've got some good tutes over on the B&B board Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mammallama
« Reply #166 on: December 27, 2009 10:43:18 AM »

::slipping on soap to get to the B&B board::
THIS ROCKS   Logged
IdlersDesign

« Reply #167 on: December 27, 2009 11:42:36 AM »

Ok, so after reading the description of this swap I've been working my way through the 17 (!  Shocked) pages of this thread and love all the ideas you have! I once promised myself not to participate in more than 1 swap at a time...but ok, I've already been working a lot (as in almost non stop  Wink) for my ongoing swap and will probably finish the package the same week the signup for this swap ends ; so, thats my excuse  Wink and will be signing up this week!

I'm quite new to soap making and would defenately love to give it a go. And I have some PUL (you can only buy it online) I also use for diaper making that I could use for wetbags/mama cloth, snack bags, etc.

Washable cleaning/dishcloths...that's really something I could use. And a nice soft blanky me and my BF can sit under while watching Dr. Who in stead of increasing the heating at night (and it's much cosier... Tongue)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2009 11:43:25 AM by IdlersDesign » THIS ROCKS   Logged

`No one should do for me that which I can reasonably do for myself D.H. Lawrence

pinterest
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #168 on: December 27, 2009 11:46:37 AM »

I'm totally down for making a blanky! It would probably either be crocheted on giant hooks with multiple strands of yarn, or a simple quilted piece.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

IdlersDesign

« Reply #169 on: December 27, 2009 11:59:14 AM »

I'm totally down for making a blanky! It would probably either be crocheted on giant hooks with multiple strands of yarn, or a simple quilted piece.

I think a blanket made from scraps or yarn leftovers can be really beautiful with all the different colours/patterns!

And when we're talking frugal...why not a set to grow your own veggies/herbs (that are very pricy usually in the biological shop/veggie shop) in your own living room/kitchen?  Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

`No one should do for me that which I can reasonably do for myself D.H. Lawrence

pinterest
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 157 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Shop Soho Street Vendors
How to Add Style to Summer Outfits
How to Add Style to Fall Outfits
How to Dress in NYC to Get Into Clubs
The Best NYC Shopping Neighborhoods
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...