A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 298,100
Currently Running With Scissors:
594 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Zombie Preparedness Kit w/ tute  (Read 5928 times)
Tags for this thread: zombie , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

KCBlueGal
« on: December 21, 2009 01:50:41 AM »

I saw the Zombie Preparedness Kit and knew I had to do this for my friend (who hosts zombie parties and zombie game nights) for Christmas.

Mine is total knock-off of what I saw here:
http://gizmodo.com/195294/the-zombie-preparedness-kit

Here's mine:

And my tutorial:

This process will likely take a couple of days, due to the drying time needed. Cost should be far less than $50, if you have most of the supplies already, and can find a good deal on a shadowbox.

Also note that I've seen several variations of this, some including sanitizers, Red Bull, a knife, etc, but I opted for simplicity because in MY opinion, it's more visually impacting. If you choose to add more stuff, adjust the directions accordingly.

Supplies needed:
Q-tips
Nail polish remover
White spray paint (Matte)
Red spray paint (Matte)
White paint pen (Matte)
Shadowbox
Painter's tape
Hot glue gun
Fake shotgun (I bought from Amazon) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001QJG1Y8/ref=oss_T15_product
Fake bullets (I bought from Amazon) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001BR6JEC/ref=oss_T15_product
Possibly needed: sewing pins with balls on the ends
Thick cardboard, color of your preference (backing), sized or cut to fit the shadowbox. Mine happened to be already perfectly sized
Computer, 4 sheets of card stock, free stencil font from dafont.com, and graphics software
Exacto knife
Scissors
Ruler or measuring tape
Windex
Paper Towels

Directions:
1. Measure your fake weapon.

2. Find a shadowbox that will fit your fake weapon + bullets. Mine was 20" by something-or-other

3. Remove the backing from the shadowbox and tape off the wood part of the frame.

4. Try not to use chemicals on the glass, but clean up both the inside and outside of the glass (with only paper towels, if at all possible).

5. On the INSIDE of the glass, tape off the portion where you want the red stripes to be, leaving the parts that you want painted UN-taped.

6. Spray paint the INSIDE of the glass (top and bottom) with your two red stripes. Let dry thoroughly. Check the paint by holding up to a light. Apply a second and/or third coat if necessary, letting dry in between coats.

7. In the meantime, use your computer to print out (on card stock):
      "IN CASE OF" on the first sheet
      "ZOMBIES" on the second sheet
      "BREAK" on the third sheet
      "GLASS" on the fourth sheet
I had to eyeball this and use several test pages to get the sizing to fit perfectly inside those red stripes (which is why the words are spread out on four sheets versus only two). I made sure I liked not only the font width, but the font height as well.  If you're fairly proficient with your graphics software, copy/paste layers to ensure all your words are the same height. I printed out in landscape.

8. Cut the paper down so that you're dealing with smaller pieces of paper.

9. Use the Exacto knife to carefully cut your stencils out, then tape your "IN CASE OF" and "ZOMBIES" papers together. Similarly, tape your "BREAK" and "GLASS" papers together, making sure the spacing between the words are all the same.

10. Tape off the front of the wood frame.

11. Measure, measure measure. Make sure that there is an equal amount of empty space on both sides of your lettering, as well as top to bottom of each stripe.

12. Tape the stencils (measure!) to the FRONT of the glass. Tape as much as possible, in between letters, in between words, on the edges, top and bottom. White spray paint inside the letters.

13. Let it dry a little bit only so that you don't smudge the paint when removing the stencils. Do not let dry thoroughly.

14. When removing the stencils, you'll notice that the lettering is likely a bit fuzzy around the edges. Use nail polish remover and q-tips to clean up the edges of each letter very carefully and slowly. (This is why you paint the inside of the glass with your red stripes.)

15. Let dry thoroughly. Use the white paint pen to touch up any overzealous q-tipping.

16. Measuring carefully (making sure the weapon is aligned where you want it top-to-bottom, and evenly from side to side), hot glue the weapon onto the cardboard backing.

17. Measuring again, align bullets in the same manner, then hot glue gun into place. Let dry.

18. In the meantime, remove painter's tape and clean up the outside and inside of glass carefully with first nail polish remover (there will be overspray), then Windex, avoiding the painted areas. Check your wood frame too, in case you missed any spots with the painter's tape.

19. Put the backing onto the shadowbox. The weapon might actually be a little bit too thick for for the shadowbox (which means the backing will stay in place, but might be a little loose in some areas after pushing down those brad things on the frame. You'll know what I mean if this happens to you), so if needed, discard the backing that came with the shadowbox, and use your pins all around the frame to help hold the backing into place (push the pins into the frame as far as possible without them bending).

20. Display awesome art in a prominent location and brag to all your friends.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2009 01:51:01 AM by KCBlueGal » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Fagerlund
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009 07:09:11 AM »

This looks awesome. I know one or two that would like this too for christmas!  Cheesy
I think your version of it is way better, more simple. =)

Great tutorial also! It may come in handy hehe.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ysmeine
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009 10:38:48 AM »

Thank you for the tute, I hope you don't mind that I linked to it on my blog here, http://ysmeine.weebly.com/modern-content-blog.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KCBlueGal
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009 03:51:37 PM »

Thank you guys!  Smiley Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Pariah
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2009 09:36:24 AM »

Incredibly awesome. I love it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
leopardstripes

The other one has bells on it!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2009 05:23:59 PM »

Grin Too cool! Ya got a "rocks" from me! Now my husband and sons will be demanding one, LOL!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I can't seem to stay with one guru long enough to get enlightened." -from the Life and Letters of Tofu Roshi
PeaceLoveBrains
Ms. Horror Blogosphere 2009

peace, love, & BRAAAAAAINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2010 09:47:43 PM »

this is the best one i've seen yet! thank you for the amazing tute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

let day in, and let life out.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Indian Lentil Stew Recipe
Turkey and Ginger Panini Recipe
Cambodian Stir Fried Tofu Recipe
Coconut Rice With Shrimp Recipe
How to Make an Indonesian Beef Stew
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...