A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,103
Currently Running With Scissors:
445 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: computer chair to cute crafty chair  (Read 2134 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MegPrice
« on: December 26, 2009 10:48:20 AM »

Here is a quick look of our computer chair that I reupholstered with this cute Squirrels and Apples fabric.

Here is the computer chair before - I had already started ripping the old fabric off before I took the photo.

Here is the Squirrels and Apples fabric I used.

Here is the reupholstered computer chair that I am now using now in my crafty space. I'm loving it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
patti
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010 08:39:32 PM »

I love it!  You did a great job and the fabric you chose is perfect.  I've thought about recovering my computer chair but I hardly know where to start.  Do you have any advice for someone like me who has no experience with a project like this?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
whimsicalimpulse
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2010 08:55:11 PM »

Love it!  I need to do this! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You don't sew with a fork, so I see no reason to eat with knitting needles."
Smiley

http://craftymayhem.blogspot.com
MegPrice
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010 08:38:18 AM »

I love it!  You did a great job and the fabric you chose is perfect.  I've thought about recovering my computer chair but I hardly know where to start.  Do you have any advice for someone like me who has no experience with a project like this?

Thanks Patti. The fabric I chose was a home decor weight.
To remove the back pad and seat pad, I took a long screwdriver and jammed it in between the plastic back of the chair and the back pad. There were about 6 small plastic bars (about 2" long) connected to the back of the chair and about 6 hook like parts connected to the back pad. I took the screwdriver to each one and applied pressure until it popped out. I was nervous I was going to the break the connecting parts, but once one popped out the rest snapped out fairly easy and the chair was strong enough to handle the pressure of the screwdriver. The seat pad came off the same way.

Once the back pad and seat pad were off, I removed the old fabric. I used the old fabric to measure out the new fabric.

For the back pad, I used a used a spray glue on the pad and then carefully laid the new fabric over the pad, smoothing it out. Then I took a staple gun and placed the first staple in the back center of once edge of the back pad. Pulled the fabric tight and stapled directly across from the first staple on the opposite back edge of the back pad. I repeated the same steps with the two other edges. Then I continued to fill in the rest of the edges with staples, pulling the fabric tight as I went.

For the seat pad, I repeated the same process with the spray glue. I started to use the staple gun on the seat pad, but found that the seat pad was too deep and the staples just got lost in the seat pad. I ended up using a heavy duty thread and upholstery needle and sewed the fabric directly on the seat pad, continually pulling the fabric tight as I sewed. This was the most time consuming part. I also made sure I didn't cover the parts that connect the pads back to the chair with fabric.

I placed the back pad and seat pad back in their places and applied pressure over each spot were they had a connecting part until I heard them snap back in.

Then my new crafty chair was ready to sit in Smiley

The whole process didn't take too long. This was a first time upholstery project for me. With some upholstery fabric, a screwdriver, scissors, spray glue, staple gun, upholstery needle and some heavy duty thread.. you'll be on your way  Cheesy
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010 08:39:09 AM by MegPrice » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
5 Ways to Avoid Acne Breakouts in the Summer
Beauty Masterclass: Get a Pretty Party Look
How to Get Cinderella Makeup for Halloween
Going to College in NYC
How to Get a Sun-Kissed Look!
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...