A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 296,405
Currently Running With Scissors:
823 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help me plan my wedding!  (Read 7507 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

katara
« on: December 20, 2009 11:23:04 PM »

I'm planning to get married on April 10th, 2010 and I need some help and inspiration to make it a truly memorable day.
We'll be getting married in a rather plain looking church. We still don't have a reception venue (due to the high costs of all the venues we've looked at) and the church doesn't have a hall. The only alternative we've managed to come up with is renting a school hall or a thatched gazebo at a school.

We have a very limited budged, R 10 500 which converts to about US$ 1470 (With about R11 500 one can buy 300 McDonald's Big Mac meals). My fiance's parents have contributed financially to our wedding as well so we know have R20 000!  Grin

A bit about us:
- I am 28 and he is 31
- We both prefer a more informal reception
- We have already purchased wedding rings
- We both like unusual things (not the strict conventional)
- He wants me to get married in white (I prefer a bit more spunk)
- I would however like a traditional wedding cake but he doesn't like fruit cake
- We want our guests to have a good time
- I'll most probably be making my own wedding dress
- I thought of making an infinity dress for my bride's maid
- We thought of having an afternoon wedding
- I thought of making coffee filter roses for the corsages
- I live in South Africa
- My favorite colors: green, blue

I truly need a 'wedding planner'. If you think you could help me with ideas, color schemes, invites, etc. I would truly appreciate it! Please feel free to ask questions!

« Last Edit: January 25, 2010 03:38:08 AM by katara » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hotsaucencake
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009 10:38:28 AM »

- He wants me to get married in white (I prefer a bit more spunk)

You could always wear white, but dress it up a bit with funky accessories. I'm not familiar with what may be available to you in South Africa, or if he is also from there? But, you could try large brightly colored bracelets, or beaded jewelry or flowers in your hair. If your dress is short enough to see your feet, wear shoes that more match your personality.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ambri

Insert maniacal laughter here

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009 01:59:28 PM »

If you're making your own dress, you can definitely "customize" it however you want, i.e. classic white, or champagne, but maybe with a green or blue sash around the waist, or ribbon lacing up the back, corset-style, or a cute ruffly petticoat/ slip peaking out from the bottom. 

As with regards to the reception . . . how is the weather where you are in April?  I believe that's autumn south of the equator?  If you have nice weather usually, maybe have the reception outside in a park or somone's yard, with a back-up plan in case of bad weather.  You might see if you can get fresh flowers at a farmer's market or produce stall right before the wedding, and make them yourself.  Personally, I love greens and blues, and I think bouquets of ivy and white roses, or lilly-of-the-valley, or peonies, would look lovely and simple.  If you add greenery to your bouquets/ centerpieces, etc, that might even make it less expensive. 

Hope that helps, and congrats!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soap is a 4-letter word.
katara
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009 10:40:21 PM »

The weather should be nice and warm - about 20-24 degrees Celcius. We have about 75 guests (mostly family, some of which I actually don't want to invite but my father insisted!)

Think I'm going to make a ivory color wedding gown with a corset type bodice and will definitely have the petticoat peaking out from the bottom (thanks for the idea!!). Think I'm going to crochet myself a pair of gauntlets/fingerless gloves too as well as the garter!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

snips and snails
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009 11:37:50 AM »

1.) Paper flower centerpieces made from old sewing patterns
2.) Tin can table numbers
3.) Typewriter guest book
4.) Fabric backdrop with chalk boards
5.) A funky white dress
6.) Bridesmaid clutches made from placemats
7.) Turn any quote into a 1" pin favor
8.) Monogram Cake Topper

Reference Links:
http://www.countryliving.com/crafts/projects/green-crafts-0309
http://100layercake.com/blog/archives/1504
http://ruffledblog.com/2009/11/terra-pauls-scrabble-diy-wedding/
http://getmarried.com/wedding-blog/archives/vintage-fabric-decor/
http://www.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=6026711
http://ohsohappytogether.blogspot.com/2009/08/i-heart-simple.html
http://www.etsy.com/shop/minepress
http://www.orientaltrading.com/ui/browse/processRequest.do?demandPrefix=12&sku=3/1606&mode=Searching&erec=8&D=wedding+cake+topper&Ntt=wedding+cake+topper&Ntk=all&Dx=mode%2bmatchallpartial&Ntx=mode%2bmatchallpartial&y=0&N=0&requestURI=processProductsCatalog&x=0&sd=Large+Silver+%26%238220%3BA%26%238221%3B+Monogram+Letter+Cake+Topper
THIS ROCKS   Logged
katara
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2009 11:59:56 PM »

Thank you so much for the awesome ideas!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

katara
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2010 11:27:06 PM »

After searching for ages, my fiance and I finally found a Chinese Restaurant that is willing to accommodate us without being ridiculously expensive! So, FINALLY we have a reception venue! You guys have no idea what a relief that is!
We've decided to use a color scheme of red and silver (as it fits in with the Chinese venue) and I've purchased letter writing pad invites (embossed silver) and silver envelopes.

Never thought I would purchase invites, but they are simple and I like them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

katara
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2010 02:08:02 AM »

I decided to give 'coffee filter roses' a go and I'm very pleased with the results. I added in some white plastic 'gyps' too.

Here is a pic of one of the corsages I made!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

katara
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2010 12:27:37 PM »

I used gift wrap on the front of the church leaflets. It was a lot more cost effective than buying sheets of fancy printed papers.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

snips and snails
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2010 08:24:57 PM »

Now that you have a few things picked out, here are some more ideas!

They have some "asian" inspired things at oriental trading. (I searched "asian")
http://www.orientaltrading.com/ui/search/processRequest.do?No=0&D=asian&Ntt=asian&Ntk=all&Dx=mode%2bmatchallpartial&Ntx=mode%2bmatchallpartial&y=0&N=0&requestURI=searchMain&x=0

And here's a cute cake topper!
http://www.allforyourwedding.com/cake-toppers-asian-themed-c-20_223/script.brushed.silver.asian.double.happiness.cake.topper.top-p-1520/currency/USD

THIS ROCKS   Logged
katara
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2010 11:16:45 PM »

Thanks so much for the links! I really liked the "Double Happiness" symbol and am definitely thinking of including it in some way!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

snips and snails
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2010 07:57:40 AM »

I wasn't really sure how "asian" you wanted to go...
Have you picked out a dress yet?

I love searching on the internet, so let me know if there is anything you would like me to look for!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
katara
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2010 10:23:50 PM »

Thank you for your help! It's much appreciated! I need some help with table decorations. The colors are red and silver, and the reception will be from 11h00 - 15h00. The tables are round (seat 10 people) and have an ordinary white restaurant tablecloth. We don't have much to spend.....Any ideas?!

I've started on the dress - am about half way. Will post pics as soon as it's done.

I also need some ideas for entertainment - I don't want the guests to be bored.
Any suggestions will be MOST appreciated!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ojy

E.C.? Meh. Spike is way hotter.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2010 10:44:00 PM »

Hey Katara, I was wondering about the status of your wedding planning. Have you figured out table decorations yet? Or cake toppers?

I know it is getting close to the day, and of the stress that can bring. I actually have some experience as a wedding planner, so if you need someone to talk things through with, or as a sounding board - so to speak - just let me know. I would love to help out any way that I can!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Swaps:

-----------
Will do personal swaps to receive fabric yardages. Also, if you are looking for costume work, I will work in trade or swap. I have an available Singer Pixie, is anyone interested?
katara
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2010 07:19:17 AM »

Here are some more things I've made for the wedding:

A Ring Pillow

A Confetti Basket
THIS ROCKS   Logged

katara
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2010 10:22:56 PM »

I'm in serious need of low cost table decorating ideas as well as entertainment ideas! HELP! Time is running out fast!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pantsafari
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2010 12:18:23 PM »

I love the ring bearer pillow! gorgeous.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The never ending quest for pants continues...
ragadyanne400

Am I a llama?!?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2010 02:34:54 AM »

I'm in serious need of low cost table decorating ideas as well as entertainment ideas! HELP! Time is running out fast!

You can find all sorts of candle holders really cheap at thrift stores and dollar stores. Buy mismatched ones and spray paint them red and/or silver, or glue those same colored ribbons onto glass votives.

This idea from rachael ray uses clustered paper lanterns for a centerpiece.

or, if you're up for more paper flower crafting these coiled paper roses look pretty simple and budget friendly.

As far as entertainment goes, I think that games are always a good idea. A couple of board games, a few decks of cards and maybe some mad libs?

Good luck, you're almost there!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

katara
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2010 11:47:00 AM »

I really like the coiled paper roses! Think I'm going to use it for inspiration! Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

katara
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2010 11:14:18 PM »

I'm starting to get a little nervous - wedding is in 2 week's time! Things are however, falling into place.
For wedding favors my fiance and I decided on Fortune Cookies which fits in with the 'Chinese' theme. We wrapped each cookie in a silver serviette and attached a "Thank you" card

We wanted underplates, but our budget didn't allow for this, so we spray painted white doilies - red. Am very happy with the result!

Me in action!

« Last Edit: April 26, 2010 11:02:17 AM by katara » THIS ROCKS   Logged

snips and snails
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2010 04:58:08 AM »

They call those under plates "Chargers", and seriously... I LOVE yours!!! How did you keep the spray paint from getting globby or runny? Did any of them turn out bad?
This is one of the best ideas I've seen in awhile... and I'm totally snagging it for my mental library of things I'd like to do <3
THIS ROCKS   Logged
vwluvervw
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2010 01:30:37 PM »

table decor -- you could do simple flowers... candles --- fish bowls and do red and white fish (just thought)

I'm getting married August 14th 2010 -- we're doing wild flowers and probably some little tealite candles -- simple simple simple is my motto right now!
Good Luck
THIS ROCKS   Logged
katara
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2010 10:00:01 PM »

They call those under plates "Chargers", and seriously... I LOVE yours!!! How did you keep the spray paint from getting globby or runny? Did any of them turn out bad?
This is one of the best ideas I've seen in awhile... and I'm totally snagging it for my mental library of things I'd like to do <3

The spray paint worked perfectly!! Much better than I thought it would!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

katara
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2010 11:55:53 AM »

We have our center pieces all figured out! We bought red silk flowers (marked down 75%), dried decorative grass and my fiance made beautiful wooden decorative sticks with dowel sticks and branches that were cut into discs that we spray painted with red spray paint. For vases we are using Bavarian Beer Glasses (75% cheaper than glass vases) and they work perfectly!

My fiance busy spraying his handiwork.

And yesterday we MADE our wedding rings from Art Clay Silver! I made Johan's ring and he made mine! It was a totally awesome experience - one we will never forget!
Check it out!

« Last Edit: April 26, 2010 11:01:02 AM by katara » THIS ROCKS   Logged

snips and snails
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2010 05:25:53 AM »

Hey!! Happy marriage!! How did your wedding go? (perfect, obviously!) but let's see some photos!! =D
THIS ROCKS   Logged
katara
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2010 11:05:39 AM »

Preparing the venue the night before. Took a little longer than we anticipated (from 20h00 - 22h30), but everything looked great afterwards!

The restaurant BEFORE:

And here's AFTER:

THIS ROCKS   Logged

katara
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2010 11:17:31 AM »

And without further ado - here are some pics!!

Walking down the aisle, in the wedding dress I designed and made:

Outside the church:

Posing with my sister (bridesmaid), mother and my father:
(The bouquets are silk flowers)

Posing for some outdoor pics:

Arriving at our reception:

Our wedding cake (which we made ourselves and are very proud of!)

And now I'm proudly Mrs van Rensburg!!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010 11:24:06 AM by katara » THIS ROCKS   Logged

snips and snails
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2010 12:20:34 PM »

Congratulations!!! Everything turned out so lovely! I love the before and after of the restaurant... it really turned out so perfectly! I can't believe you made your dress, too! It fits perfect! And it looks like the weather gods were smiling on you, also!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
schnerby
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2010 12:52:25 AM »

Congratulations. You look lovely and it seems like you had a great time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The Sketchbook Project 2012 My theme: Hope

I have hundreds of purple buttons (a few different styles). Personal swap?
dark.star.88

Design is where science and art break even.

« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2010 01:12:55 PM »

Wow! GREAT JOB!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I'm afraid that if you look at a thing long enough, it loses all of its meaning" - Andy Warhol

Swaps:
Post Secret Rd. 9 - GOOD FEEDBACK!
Disposable Camera Rd. 6 - GOOD FEEDBACK!
Altering Paper Crafts Supply Swap - GOOD FEEDBACK!
Art Journal Page - GOOD FEEDBACK
ojy

E.C.? Meh. Spike is way hotter.

« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2010 09:47:46 PM »

Everything turned out lovely. I love the dress with the mermaid-esque skirt (for the life of me I can't remember what the style is called) and all it's puffyness.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Swaps:

-----------
Will do personal swaps to receive fabric yardages. Also, if you are looking for costume work, I will work in trade or swap. I have an available Singer Pixie, is anyone interested?
katara
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2010 11:20:52 AM »

Thank you for all the compliments!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Grilled Chimichurri Steak Recipe
Peach Barbecue Chicken Burgers Recipe
Key Lime Pie Ice Cream Recipe
Spicy and Sweet Luau Baked Beans Recipe
National Donut Day: Origin of the Donut
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...