A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 299,134
Currently Running With Scissors:
579 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 16
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Winter Sock Swap CLOSED Sendouts 03/15/10  (Read 13404 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

stitch81
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2010 11:07:52 AM »

Okay, so I've been trying the continental method, and I'm afraid it isn't going to work for me.  I have "bony" fingers so the yarn slips through and keeps coming loose.  It sure looks like a faster method than English style, but I'm probably going to just have to stay with English.

I did finish my knitting for my other 2 swaps, so I'm all set for this one.  I even have some really lovely yarn ($22 a skein!) to make a pair of socks, but at that price, I may have to keep those for myself.  It was just so gorgeous, I couldn't resist (I never do that!).

I know the board has been relatively quiet compared to other swaps, but we do only have 6 participants at this point,... and I noticed that there is not one crocheter signed up yet.  We have 1 week left till sign ups end, so if you know of anyone that is wavering on whether they should do this swap, give them a little nudge! lol.  We've certainly had enough snow, a nice new pair of handmade socks is just what we all need.... may even throw in some hot cocoa!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
panda
« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2010 09:00:14 PM »

Ok ok ok I admit I am chicken to do this swap......I am just now getting the hats down pat.   I can sew socks  and never crochet them ....I will have to look for sock pattern.   A week you say......mmmmmmmmmm

When threw my yarn stash.............wow did not realize I had that much. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DizzerSpinninRound
Proverbs 31: 10-31

Little M is growing in my belly! Due Feb 2013!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2010 12:24:37 AM »

Hopefully a couple more will join. Socks are fun! I can't wait to have this excuse to learn how to make them on my new favorite knitting needles (circs). I've made them on a knitting wheel before and it was fun"^.^" The only thing I am not looking forward to is the price, I can't afford to pay too steep a price for yarn right now. I have a huge stash of acrylic yarn, but I really do want to get some sock yarn for this swap. Here's to hoping I will find a sale  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stitch81
« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2010 07:18:14 AM »

well, the $22 for the skein was by no means the norm.  I usually look in Hobby Lobby and get the kroy or patons for like $6, $10 at the most, but that is supposed to make a complete pair.  I also look online on ebay and etsy.  You can find some good deals there as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
spolowitz

Wiggidy Wack?....No just regular type

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 09, 2010 08:17:43 AM »

knitpicks.com sock yarn is fairly cheap.

I found some for $7-10.

does anyone have this book ? I was planning on getting it and I was wondering if it's a good tutorial for socks or more design and pattern?

or are there any other books you would reccomend?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stitch81
« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2010 11:08:25 AM »

my patterns come from Ravelry, from the freebies.

Just found this online today.... awe inspiring, or just ridiculous?  I'm leaning toward the latter....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVRfVEONxJQ
THIS ROCKS   Logged
DizzerSpinninRound
Proverbs 31: 10-31

Little M is growing in my belly! Due Feb 2013!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2010 01:03:10 PM »

I love Hobby Lobby's yarns"^.^" I get free patterns from ravelry as well, but I've also checked out books from the library, not impressed with any except for this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Knitting-Circles-Around-Socks-Circular/dp/1564777391/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1263070913&sr=8-5

my patterns come from Ravelry, from the freebies.

Just found this online today.... awe inspiring, or just ridiculous?  I'm leaning toward the latter....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVRfVEONxJQ
That's insane![/color]
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Annchen
Yarrrn...

Yarn keeps me sane(ish)

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2010 02:19:09 AM »

If you're worried about dpns you could always knit socks on straight needles. I love dpns and hate seaming but someone else might like this pattern:

http://www.garnstudio.com/lang/en/visoppskrift.php?d_nr=103&d_id=5&lang=us

I love that yarn, but beware... DROPS are known for their wonkily written patterns so check everything carefully and check ravelry for errata. Ugh... I read the pattern and the one translating it to english wasn't very good at it. But there should be other similar patterns that are better written.

Still not sure if I should join or not... I've bought thick sock yarn for a pair of socks for me and I'm not sure I'm up for knitting more socks than that. Are you guys going for thin sock yarn or thicker yarn?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
spolowitz

Wiggidy Wack?....No just regular type

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 12, 2010 06:12:16 AM »

I think I would want something with sock yarn, a less thick sock.

I want a pair of socks I can wear with my new slouchy boots. <3

THIS ROCKS   Logged

stitch81
« Reply #49 on: January 12, 2010 06:19:32 AM »

You can put that in your questionaire.. request that the socks be "thicker".  I think most people are usually pretty good about trying to get as close as possible to our partner's wishes.... plus, thicker yarn makes for faster knitting!!! lol.  I can handle that!!

What kind of yarn did you pick out?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 16 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Homemade Slime & Other Fun Indoor Activities For Your Kids This Summer
NASA Comes to Airstream
Amy_Vignette
Airstream: Maintaining a Legacy in Jackson Center, Ohio
Making Narrow Quilt Borders
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...