A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,221
Currently Running With Scissors:
663 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: *Updated*Altered Domino Pendants (Picture Heavy)- With step-by-step process info  (Read 4415 times)
Tags for this thread: altered_art , altered_domino , mixed_media , domino , domino_pendant  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sillysmushyhippocake
« on: December 20, 2009 10:49:27 AM »

I recently took a closer look into the world of altered art dominoes and I am hooked! I have foregone eating and sleeping, practically. All I do is drill, prime paint and work away. I love making these! They are so much fun and the possibilities are endless. The sky is literally the limit. Here are a few photos of my latest creations. Let me know what you think. I have more in the works and will update the post with more pics as soon as I photograph the finished pieces.

The process:

1- I bought a box of dominoes at Walmart.

2- I used my Dremel drill to drill holes through the game pieces. (Note: Use protective eye gear and wear a mask while drilling. No exceptions.)

3- I then dusted them off (drilling them is messy), and applied gesso all over each domino. I use paint brushes, but have read that sponges may be used as well.

4- Once the gesso dried, I painted each piece to my heart's desire, using Folk Art Acryllic paints. They're inexpensive and come in a great variety of colors- matte, metallics and opaque.

5- Once the paint dries, you can do anything. You can decoupage artwork onto the piece, or use stamps. I've done both, and am partial to stamps. Michaels has a great selection of rubber, wood-mounted stamps, as well as the new, clear acryllic stamps. You can even embellish them with beads, cabochons, keys, rhinestones...you get the idea.

6- When I am satisfied with the creation, I again don my protective eye wear and mask and take them outside, place them on a flat surface and spray them with triple-thick glass-like lacquer and let them dry for 24 hours.

The world of altered art dominoes is truly amazing. They can be pendants for jewelry, magnets, keychains, books...I am in love with all of the possibilities.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2009 08:15:03 PM by sillysmushyhippocake » THIS ROCKS   Logged

gala_apples
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009 12:23:00 PM »

i love the bright owls, and the houndstooth butterfly.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm not attached to your world, nothing heals, nothing grows... we used to love ourselves, we used to love one another.

life is no cabaret- we don't care what you say, we're inviting you anyway, you mf'ers, you'll sing someday!
smittenheart

Let go of what's already gone..

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009 03:22:02 PM »

super cute stuff..love it..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

its ME!!
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=327537.0

http://cowandpigdesigns.etsy.com
http://cowandpigdesigns.blogspot.com
Soap licking is dangerous..please dont try it at home

will trade some soap for a superhero cape which will be used by the kid in my avatar ^^
bluesea777
live2craft

addicted to Art Journaling

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009 12:54:04 PM »

I love them all! Would a paint mask be okay to wear while drilling? It's made from some kind of strong fiber paper sorta stuff!!?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

life without crafting would be like living in the dark.
sillysmushyhippocake
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2009 06:23:37 PM »

I love them all! Would a paint mask be okay to wear while drilling? It's made from some kind of strong fiber paper sorta stuff!!?

Yes, I use a paper/fiber type mask. It's also important to wear the mask and eye gear when you spray them with the lacquer.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bethiej78

pool on the roof must have a leak

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2009 07:24:07 AM »

i love these!!  especially the sort of wacky skull-man one, and the owl w/ "enlighten".

curious - what brand/kind of lacquer do you use?  does it ever make the paint run?  i find if you get one that's too strong, it can mess up any paint/marker you use on the dominoes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

side note, if any of you craftsters out there are also weight watchers members, check out my WW Blog!
sillysmushyhippocake
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2009 10:34:18 AM »

i love these!!  especially the sort of wacky skull-man one, and the owl w/ "enlighten".

curious - what brand/kind of lacquer do you use?  does it ever make the paint run?  i find if you get one that's too strong, it can mess up any paint/marker you use on the dominoes.

I'm trying to remember the brand name (I'm at work). I know it's triple-thick glass-like blah blah blah. I'll shoot you a message with the name when I get home.  Smiley

As for the paint issue, any paint, including ink from stamps, etc., has to be 100% dry before you spray the lacquer. Otherwise, it will run. I learned that the trial and error way. Also, you have to hold the can atleast a foot away from whatever you're spraying. If you spray too close, the lacquer can look gloppy and foggy.

The lacquer is actually a pain in the rear. Sometimes I use clear/top coat nail polish, and it works really well. Sally's, to be specific.

I've completed new domino pendants, but haven't had the chance to photograph them yet. Will do that soon.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bethiej78

pool on the roof must have a leak

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2009 11:57:16 AM »

cool - thanks for the tips!  and the lacquer name PM will be greatly appreciated!! look forward to seeing some more of your 'noes. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

side note, if any of you craftsters out there are also weight watchers members, check out my WW Blog!
FriendlyNeighbourPsycho
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2010 01:35:45 PM »

There all so awesome! Very good job! I really like the seond one and the fifth one!! It may sound stupid but I never thought of drilling holes the way you did...I usually go through the domino..but I like your way better Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
DancinInTheDark
Klutzy Paparazzi! ;]

Yeah, Train rocks. Best band ever!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2010 01:25:33 PM »

*Hits This Rocks*  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Me + Craftster = LOVE. Wink
Hey soul sister, ain't that Mister Mister playin' on the stereo, radio? -Train
http://prodegebanners.sitegrip.com/images/swagbucks-173x63Alt1.jpg
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Beauty Made Easy: Applying Fake Lashes
Try Before You Buy: Glam Apps to Download Now!
The New Minimal Makeup Trend
What Beauty Products to Take on Holiday
Affordable Solutions for No Sweat Summer Beauty
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Molded Hot Glue
More Amazing Matchboxes
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...