A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,468
Currently Running With Scissors:
467 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Traveling Woman ~ shawl ~ free pattern  (Read 15622 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

soozeq
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2010 07:40:55 AM »

Why is it a pity that you only get it through Ravelry? It's free to join and the wait is only a few hours now, a day at most. Besides tons of free patterns there are huge databases of how patterns look when knit and in different yarns. You can also look up a yarn and see what things people have made with it to give you ideas.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
horsygirl321
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2010 11:46:02 AM »

Agreed!! Ravelry is amazing, and a wonderful tool!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        You like my designs? Wow, thanks!
      You can check out the patterns here:         
           http://oregonstream.etsy.com
wifeofbath

Tiber Swim Team

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2010 03:12:11 PM »

It's a pity because it's a pretty shawl I'd be tempted to knit if it were available elsewhere. I have heard about Ravelry's good features, of course, but back when it was still fairly new I made the decision not to join because I don't have time for more crafting-related online time. It may have been a good decision in another way, as I have since heard things that suggest Ravelry does not welcome my kind (socially and politically conservative, Christian, and--greatest sin of all--one who did not vote for Barack Obama in November '08). If these rumors are untrue, I am sorry to have mentioned them, but they only reinforce my original reason for not joining.

I apologise for inadvertently highjacking the thread. I only meant to say it was an attractive shawl. Happy knitting to all who are working on it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"An old cloak makes a new jerkin..." (Wm Shakespeare, recycling and DIY enthusiast)
horsygirl321
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2010 03:58:51 PM »

(socially and politically conservative, Christian, and--greatest sin of all--one who did not vote for Barack Obama in November '08

sorry, I just HAVE to say that I'm every one of those things. Smiley  I can totally understand your not wanting more computer stuff to deal with though. I just wanted to tell ya.  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You like my designs? Wow, thanks!
      You can check out the patterns here:         
           http://oregonstream.etsy.com
soozeq
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2010 08:34:05 AM »

It may have been a good decision in another way, as I have since heard things that suggest Ravelry does not welcome my kind (socially and politically conservative, Christian...

That is mostly untrue. There are a few groups that get into politcal and religious discussions which can get very heated, but I haven't found them, just vaguely heard of them. There's hundreds of groups that just discuss knitting and crochet, yarns, needles patterns and techniques and that's all. The biggest 'flames' there are the old wool vs acrylic, or continental vs english discussions. And those are pretty tame.

But if you'd rather not spend more time online, I can understand that as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
leveecat
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2010 11:21:33 PM »

very nice  i like shaws this one is pretty .. how many hours to make?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soozeq
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2010 09:18:07 AM »

How long to make it depends on the yarn weight and needle size - thicker yarn and larger needles will take less (and make a bigger shawl) - and your own skills. I could probably do it in 10 hours or less, others may take longer or not as much time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
KyleSmith
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2010 08:09:49 AM »

I actually just finished this shawl a week or so ago. i really liked how it turned out
and just to chime in on the ravelry issue, i haven't noticed much talk about politics/religion/etc at all though i'm 100% sure i could find it if i wanted without much trouble at all. Though like others have said i can definitely agree with you in not wanting more things to do online. The good part about ravelry though is that you don't actually need to participate at all, i have a couple friends that just use it to keep track of their yarn or get patterns, i think they have forgotten by this point that there is even a forum and group section on the site at all. The biggest "flame war" i saw there is the epic, ongoing battle of magic loop vs. dpns vs 2 at a time vs whatever other circular knitting method there is.

in other good news the patter, though being posted on ravelry is not a ravelry exclusive. it's actually located here http://feministy.com/traveling-woman/
not sure if you were actually interested in obtaining the pattern but at least now you can if you'd like without having to sign up for another social/crafting website.

(i happened to vote McCain in the last election.Smiley)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010 08:12:28 AM by KyleSmith » THIS ROCKS   Logged
soozeq
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2010 12:32:24 PM »

The link on her blog for the pattern just links back to the ravelry page. But you're right - one can spend as much or as little time on the site as they wish. I mostly read certain forums to get links to patterns, but I usually can't help posting a comment or three.  Just using it as a huge database of patterns is worth signing up for though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
MadameNightshade
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2012 07:25:02 PM »

I've had the pattern for this forever and i haven't had a chance to make it yet Sad But one of these days
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Dan Bashin from Battle Spirits: Shounengekiha Dan
How to Draw Rygart Arrow from Broken Blade
How to Draw Rapunzel from Tangled
How to Draw Kate from Alpha and Omega
How to Draw Super-Girl
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...