A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 296,630
Currently Running With Scissors:
573 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Yohji Yamamoto Jacket from free pattern  (Read 38741 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

haykyn

Smart Women Vote!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2005 11:22:38 AM »

This great!  Thanks for sharing.  I'm downloading it now.  I have a question though.  Are the sleeves draping like that because of the fabric, or are the sewn to keep that gather at the top of the sleeve.  I really like how it looks, but I see myself getting very sick of pushing the sleeves up, constantly, over my already short arms.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Trust yourself.  You know more than you think you do.  -Dr. Spock
tayvictoria
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2005 11:53:38 AM »

that's so awesome. I think I might go home and see if I can make it... Thanks for posting I love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lucrecia42
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2005 11:56:23 AM »

that's pretty cool! I love the fabric.  congrats!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
IndividualFrog

the petals will darken and sink

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2005 11:08:30 PM »

Looks great!  I'd like to see it with a person inside.  Very nice work!

For people who are confused, I think it's best to think of the front part as a sort of collar/lapel.  The middle skinny part is the neckline/collar, and the two wide ends are at the bottom.  Think 3-dimensionally.  I found it easiest to make a little doll-sized version first, which really helped me to see how it goes together.  In my opinion, the conceptual leap involved is exactly what makes this pattern so beautiful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

夢も後なく夜も明けて、村雨と聞きしもけさ見れば、松風ばかりや残るらん、松風ばかりや残るらん
John deBoer Custom
xmaskid74
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2005 07:23:26 AM »

Looks great!  I'd like to see it with a person inside.  Very nice work!

For people who are confused, I think it's best to think of the front part as a sort of collar/lapel.  The middle skinny part is the neckline/collar, and the two wide ends are at the bottom.  Think 3-dimensionally.  I found it easiest to make a little doll-sized version first, which really helped me to see how it goes together.  In my opinion, the conceptual leap involved is exactly what makes this pattern so beautiful.

I did similar thing, too!
Instead of making small version, I usualy use clear tape and pattern itself.
(problem is ... all my patterns got a lot of wrinkles...^^)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
girlgeeknz
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2005 04:06:38 AM »

Here's a photo of mine. I started by printing the 2 pieces of pattern to fit on 2 sheets of A4, and made a miniature 'doll sized' jacket, to work out how the pieces went together. I then made a life-sized version out of calico, to try out the fit.

Finally, I made up the real one. I bought this winter-weight fabric on sale (it's end of Winter down here in New Zealand) for $6 a metre. I bought 4 metres. There's a lot left over, but I needed 4 metres for the length.

I'm pleased with how it came out. I didn't put the magnetic snap in, I'm just going to wear it with a pin. I wore it to the office today with a business shirt, and it looked awesome! I think I'll make one out of grey sweatshirt knit next.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

tochucha
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2005 08:17:48 AM »

This is a lovely pattern!!!
Thank you xmaskid - the instructions are really helpful.

Girlgeeknz, you jacket looks breathtaking!!
So you needed 4 meters of fabric for the length... what did the piece that you actually used measure?
(I rekon you roughly need a long rectangle, right?)
Thanx in advance!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

words are very
unnecessary
crazy_pinKy

i love crafting!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2005 12:46:48 PM »

I bought 175cm of fabric and took it to my seamstress  (I really liked the wooly fabric and the Yamamoto pattern - I didnt want to mess anything up on my moody sewing machine Embarrassed). Ill have pics of it on Friday. I thought that 175cm would be enough, because when I reach my arms out, they should be about 175cm (because Im 175.5cm tall) but I am still worried because store bought jackets always have too short sleeves (especially Zara). So I hope mine turned out well, because I really like girlgeeknz and xmaskids jackets! Cheesy

I might be wrong, but I think the pattern was about 163cm. I am just guessing because i dont have the pattern at hand right now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aeronberry

mmm...fishy kisses....

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2005 02:56:20 PM »

I'm really tall - do you think it would be easy to adjust the pattern so it's long enough at the waist and sleeves?  I've never made any clothes before, but this doesn't look too complicated and it's GORGEOUS - just my style.
thanks!,
aeronberry
THIS ROCKS   Logged

edafedd - amigurumi patterns!
norea - jewelry, handbags, etc!
shop the swap!
girlgeeknz
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2005 02:50:35 AM »

Hi,

I measured my pattern pieces, and at the widest point they were 75cm. The length of each piece was about 185cm. I didn't measure it accurately, but that's about right. It should be easy enough to adjust, it's not complex.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Best Homemade BBQ Sauce Recipe
10-Year-Old Chef With Easy Grilling Tips For Kids
How to Make Breakfast Pancakes
How to Make Perfect Cheesy Dip
These Bacon Pancakes Will Change Your Life
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...