A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,487
Currently Running With Scissors:
408 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Handspun art show run by Pluckyfluff *UPDATED* with progress pictures  (Read 2672 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

peachymanaangel
« on: December 19, 2009 04:39:38 PM »

Edited by Jane Doe to add:

If you're planning to contribute, let me know here so Lexi can have a rough estimate of the numbers she's recieving.
You do NOT need to spin art yarn - all forms of spinning are acceptable  Smiley

This post is to inform all the spinners that the yarn artist Lexi Boeger aka Pluckyfluff http://www.pluckyfluff.com/ is looking for hand spun yarns for an art installation.

Copied from her blog post http://pluckyfluff1.livejournal.com/

WE are having a show. This is a two or three phase project and so I'm just going to start with the first part and see how quick we can get this army moving. The first and major element of the show is going to be a gigantic, world's biggest, hugest, skein ever made and i want it to wind through the whole gallery space. i want it piled up against the wall. i want people to have to stretch to step over it.

IT'S GOING TO BE ONE SKEIN.

MADE FROM THOUSANDS OF INDIVIDUAL HANDSPUN YARNS.

I want to take a yarn from every single spinner out there willing and connect them all into one single continuous strand. One yarn made from many. An example of our collective individuality culminating into a single beautiful whole. Which is exactly what the Handspun Revolution is. It's all of us spinning our own completely unique creations and allowing those ideas to absorb into the craft as a whole. We are all working on one giant worldwide yarn all the time if you think about it like that, as knowledge being created and shared.
You in?

Submission Checklist:

SKEIN:We need each of you to spin one yarn to contribute to the Revolutionary Skein. It should be whatever YOU want it to be. It can be tradtional, non-traditional, any fiber spun in any way. Put your best effort into it. ANYONE can contribute, even if you just learned how to spin yesterday. we are trying to show the world the craft as a whole in all it's facets and variations.

TAGS: SIZE OF A BUSINESS CARD OR SMALLER ONLY! Your yarn needs to be tagged!!! Since this is about all the individuals that make the whole, please tag your yarn with the following: YOUR NAME. Where You're From. Whatever else you want. These tags will remain on your yarn for all the world to see!      

STATEMENT: Please include a piece of paper, any size any style written with any utensil stating what spinning means to you. What it does for you, what you think about it, a weird or exciting story about it, a poem about it, or anything else to this effect. I WANT YOUR THOUGHTS ON SPINNING. either personal, or abstract, or analytical or hysterical. doesn't matter. (I plan to wallpaper the gallery with these revolutionary ideas).

SUBMISSIONS: DEADLINE MARCH 1ST
Please include ALL THREE of the forementioned (yarn,tag,statement) in order to be included in the project and mail it to:
Pluckyfluff
1709 Carson Rd.
Placerville CA,
USA
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010 03:35:07 PM by Jane Doe » THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://peachymanaangel.livejournal.com/ for blog fun
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kylacrawford/ pictures. When words only get in the way
http://kylaslab.etsy.com Shop for fun felted jewelry and other fiber arts
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009 07:46:39 AM »

I love this idea.  I hope it becomes a traveling exhibit at some point.  Wouldn't it be wonderful if more then just the folks in (insert the place here.. coffees not kicking in yet...)  could see it?   I hope to contribute Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jane Doe

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2009 01:25:33 AM »

Yes do!

I'm going to sticky this thread so we can chat about what we're preparing to do for the show.
I've created a facebook event page (attached to the craftster page) if you want to see how others are preparing for it

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Craftster-Fiber-Artists/216520841493?v=wall

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010 04:05:26 PM »

so I came up with a plan.  My yarn is going to be a very simple 2 ply spun on my drop spindle. The fiber will be randomly chosen by my husband since it's all in the basement and I can't get to it.  I saw the fiber on the ravelery group, and it's all spanky!  So I'm going to do something very simple.  Anywho that's just my plan Smiley  Still hope to get it done so I can get it in on time Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WMA
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010 04:17:34 PM »

I plan on contributing...just have to figure out what I want to spin =) 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jane Doe

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2010 10:36:04 PM »

Ooh great!
Well, we've got around a month left to spin (I'm allowing a week for postage)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Nesse
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2010 05:27:01 PM »

I am so in!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jane Doe

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2010 05:00:23 AM »

I just had a chat with pluckyfluff - yes we can donate more than one skein each Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ohnomysweet
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2010 01:28:30 PM »

I would so love to contribute to this!  I could not have gotten my new charka at a better time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
WMA
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2010 03:35:13 PM »

I've finally come up with some plans for what to spin...now to figure out how to make my idea work, lol. I've never really designed my yarns. The most forethought I've had in designing a yarn is 'I'm going to spin that blue roving and green roving each as singles then ply them together'. But now I'm planning a yarn with the theme of the 4 elements, earth, air, wind and fire with one element leading into the next as the yarn progresses. I'm working on a way (in my head, not with fiber yet, lol) to make each one flow smoothly into the next while still being able to spin each section the way I want it.

For the most part it will probably be corespun, except I thought the water section should be a single plied with thread to get a nice wavy effect. I'll probably have some tailspun blue/green locks to look like splashing waves or water. For the air section I want to attempt Lexi's 'Translucent Mohair' technique from Intertwined and I may dye a little of the white mohair a very pale gray to symbolize smoke and I'll have to find a nice 'grabby' white core. The earth section is browns, black and dark greens and I want to incorporate these tiny little stones I have...tiger's eye and some others that have little holes drilled in them...but I'm not sure if I should thread roving through the holes (they're pretty tiny) and spin that in or put the stones on strings to spin in. I want them close to the fiber and not dangling. The fire section will be reds, oranges and yellows and I'll probably use some tailspun locks to look like flames licking out of the yarn. Of course I'll probably add some color-appropriate sparkle in the fire, water and maybe air sections. And all that with my CD spindle, lol.

Any thoughts, ideas, or suggestions? I may very well be biting off more than I can chew, lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Repair Damaged Hair Strands
How to Avoid Dry Hair
How to Grow Long, Healthy Hair
7 Fresh Ways to Style a Ponytail
Sleeping Beauty: How to Get Glam Waves While You Snooze
Latest Blog Articles
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...