A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,127
Currently Running With Scissors:
642 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: advent calendar--oops, it's December 10th already???  (Read 1169 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

scifimama
« on: December 10, 2009 09:48:50 AM »

Yes, I am extremely late getting this done.  But done it now is, hurrah!  I loved the pattern by oh fransson found here http://sewmamasew.com/blog2/?p=863 but wanted to do my own thing.  I also didn't want to have to buy 12 new xmas fabrics.  So I dug through my stash and found as many coordinating fabrics in xmas-y colors as I could, cutting them into 4.5 inch squares as I went.  That wasn't enough.  So I dug through again, and cut more squares.  Still not quite enough. This went on for what felt like weeks and actually took...well, weeks.  The sewing of the thing was easy in comparison.  I didn't follow the pattern exactly, what with it being already DECEMBER and all, but I really like the end result.  So, pictures!

Thar she blows.  I quilted it with a decorative stitch on my machine, in a simple grid, because, again, DECEMBER.

I bound it in some white bias tape I had lying around, and the amount of tape I had fit exactly around.  In fact, I thought it would be about 1/2 an inch short, but I stitched it together and hoped for the best.  Thankfully, bias tape has enough stretch that it fit perfectly!  Woohoo!  Love that crafting mojo.  When it works.

Here's a shot to show how I just stitched over the binding with the same deco stitch in red, so I wouldn't have to hand stitch the back.  I think it looks really great, and adds some color to the edge.

One more for the road:

Well, thanks for looking!  Happy Holidays!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Muria
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009 10:36:34 AM »

I love how the specialty stitch you chose for the border could be seen as a string of Christmas lights!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria

Where did all this fabric come from? I CAN'T have bought THAT much!
ALL the boards craftalong: 11/40
Beginning wister
Will personal swap for coins from 1944
grendelsmom
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009 10:44:41 AM »

It's terrific!  It's bright and cheery and I very much like the fact that you didn't use traditional holiday fabrics.  And I second Muria; the red *does* look a bit like a string of lights!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pinokeeo

Best of 2013 winner, but this is just as good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009 11:05:49 AM »

It looks great.  I like the randomness of the numbers, and the non-traditional fabrics.  Well done.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rainylakechick
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009 12:54:59 PM »

Love this.  I was a fan of the project when it appeared on Sew Mama Sew.  Great to see another person made something similar! 

How did you attach the numbers to the pockets?  Are those made with felt or fabric?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

scifimama
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2009 03:15:07 PM »

Thanks everybody!  And, uh, yeah, I totally meant for the stitching to look like christmas lights, yeah, planned all along.... Wink

rainylakechick:  The numbers are fabric backed with heat 'n bond, ironed on and then zigzagged in place.  Funny, I dreaded that part so much, because it was my first time doing that kind of applique, but it was the most enjoyable part for me.  They aren't perfect by any stretch, but I kind of like the rough look I got.

Thanks again!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Marmish

Quincy the Pug

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2009 08:34:46 AM »

Love, love, love the stitching on the binding and the fabrics you used for the pockets that are not CHRISTMAS but still read Christmas.  Very nice.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Affordable Wall Artwork
Artist Hong Yi Explains Her Flower Portraits
Embellished Totes For Earth Day
Repurposing Cans Into Ribbon Covered Vases
How to Make Recycled Bows
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...