A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 296,734
Currently Running With Scissors:
698 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Christmas Crackers/Bangers Tutorial  (Read 9690 times)
Tags for this thread: christmas , christmas_cracker , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pocketwatch
« on: December 19, 2009 12:31:20 PM »

g]

A month ago I got really excited about making christmas crackers (I don't think I've ever had one and I learned about them in harry potter) and ordered all sorts of little keychains and tiny toys from a discount retailer and ordered cracker making supplies. But, the keychains were ordered to my dorm and hadn't arrived by the time I went home for Christmas. Sad So instead of these being proper (albeit cheap) gifts they are more of novelty stocking stuffers. And I am going to have like 15 keychains for myself in January :/. But I think these are really nice regardless.

Supplies: tape, scissors, ribbon, cardboard tubes (from paper towels and toilet paper), tissue paper hats, candies, cracker snaps. I bought my cracker snaps (which are kind of optional, but they make the banging sound and I think that makes it more exciting) from oldenglishcrackers. com, because it is in the US like me and I didn't want to pay shipping grom the UK. With shipping 25 snaps and 25 paper hats were about $10. Since I bought 2 bags of candy for $6, the ribbon and paper at a dollar store, my total cost for this project was $18... and I could make several more if I had more cardboard tubes.

the bright shapes are the tissue paper hats, which I bought pre made because they seemed like they'd be a headache.

Take 2 toilet paper rolls, cut one in half, and lay out on some wrapping paper with generous margins.

thread the cracker snap through the tubes and fold over each end, tape to keep the cracker snap firmly in place on the small tubes.

slide in a paper hat, or card, and tack down the paper with a little tape.

roll the wrapping paper around the tube and tape in place. Carefully twist the paper between the center and end tube on one side to make a cinched in part that little candy can't fall through

pour candy in the open end, then repeat the cinching on the open side.

tie with ribbon tightly and curl the ends with scissors. Fold the edges of the paper in and you're done.

These take a lot of time! I spent 4 hours making 10 of them (including photos and driving to the store for chocolate, but still, I was expecting this to be a lot quicker because the sample one I made with tissue paper came together in 10 minutes or so)

I hope you give these a try because they are quite fun.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009 12:35:13 PM by pocketwatch » THIS ROCKS   Logged

ysmeine
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009 02:09:50 PM »

I love Christmas crackers, but sometimes they are hard to find or maybe you would like to personalize the prizes. Thank you for including the link to the popping strips. I had thought about making them, but they aren't the same without the pop. Yours look great.

The following is a true cautionary tale involving Christmas poppers.

I was having Christmas at my apartment a few years back. It was a rare instance and I wanted to make it special. I picked up Christmas poppers for each person, planned gifts and food. The day of the party I pass around the basket of poppers, which had been sitting underneath the tree. As we open them, imagine my mothers surprise when she finds underwear in hers. Now imagine my horror to realize they are my daughters DIRTY underwear. I quickly scooped them behind the tree and out of site. As much as I love my mother, I was thankful she was the recipient and not my stepfather or brother-in-law. It was a year no one will forget. Never trust a boy with a strange sense of humor.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

cyndiq
i am aka sewsweet08 on yt come say hi

aussie craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2009 04:16:09 PM »

my littlest son made some in his preschool class and loved them.
so we started making some but need to find crackers.
we used christmas wrapping paper for ours and i have a lot of little toys from the party section to put in
lollies are a good idea too

cyndi
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinokeeo

Best of 2013 winner, but this is just as good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2009 02:01:19 PM »

Very nice.  I also buy supplies from oldenglish.  You forgot to put in the little paper truisms, But otherwise you did a good job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RaraAvis
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009 09:29:32 AM »

awesome! wish I had time to make them before Christmas. maybe next year.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pocketwatch
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2009 01:08:09 PM »

ysmeine: yikes! sounds like you handled that as gracefully as possible.
pinokeeo: I read on the site that you put in mottos/jokes, but as I've never had a cracker it didn't seem like an exciting thing to get in one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wifeofbath

Tiber Swim Team

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2010 02:11:04 PM »

... I bought my cracker snaps (which are kind of optional, but they make the banging sound and I think that makes it more exciting)...

Then there's the Good Neighbors/The Good Life option, which is just to yell "Bang!" when you pull the cardboard tube. Or "Crack!", if you're more Margot-esque. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"An old cloak makes a new jerkin..." (Wm Shakespeare, recycling and DIY enthusiast)
LoudHoward
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2010 06:37:58 AM »

pinokeeo: I read on the site that you put in mottos/jokes, but as I've never had a cracker it didn't seem like an exciting thing to get in one.

In the UK they come with REALLLLLY cheesy jokes in them, or sometimes even a sheet with 2 or 3 jokes and a trivia type question. Its all part of the fun, they are dreadful jokes, that someone always knows the answer to.

I find it really strange that you guys dont have christmas crackers, they are so readily available here, you can even get them for your pets, or really little ones to put on the tree as decoration.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MerryGlas
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2010 07:00:13 AM »

I'm also surprised that you don't get crackers! We usually get really nice ones with lovely gifts inside (for the adults - the kids get the usual plastic rubbish because they fight over them anyway!) One year we had some from Oxfam that had Fairtrade ethnic gifts, like little ornaments, mini photo frames etc. I think maybe the benefit of making them would be that you could tailor them to each person? You do need the jokes though, it's not a proper cracker without one!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wifeofbath

Tiber Swim Team

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2010 12:49:27 PM »

For some reason, they've never caught on here in the US. I think I've seen them in stores a grand total of twice and that wasn't until recent years. There may have been some in some of the holiday gift catalogues my mother used to get when I was a kid, but I'm not sure. I've always read a fair amount of material set in England, so I knew what crackers were when I was a kid, but I doubt many of the children I went to school with had ever even heard the term.

Maybe with more English-speaking people from various countries communicating online and sharing more TV shows and movies than we used to, there might be more spreading of customs and idioms? Maybe, maybe not, but I like to think of the members of the Anglo-sphere growing closer.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"An old cloak makes a new jerkin..." (Wm Shakespeare, recycling and DIY enthusiast)
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Soften Skin with Surface Blur in Photoshop
How to Soften Skin in Lightroom
Adjustment Brush in Lightroom
Exposure Blending Panoramic Photography
Adobe Premiere Pro CS4 User Interface Tutorial
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...