A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,465
Currently Running With Scissors:
643 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My First Hat Designs  (Read 1265 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

gina-marie
« on: December 19, 2009 08:01:46 AM »

I don't think I've ever posted in knitting before!  I still feel pretty new to knitting, it's been a while but Ive only known how to make hats and do cables and such for about a year. I used to be very into crochet just because it made more sense than knitting, but I always wanted to knit.  I finally figured everything out by following patterns so I wanted to start making my own designs because that's primarily what I did when I crocheted.

Anyways, at the same time I never have much time to knit because I'm an illustration student at an art college.  I just finished a semester and the final for my editorial class was to create my own "Zine" - which can really be any kind of book.  I somehow came up with making my own pattern book that was my modern take on the traditional.. kinda ugly..  book of patterns.  I noticed that most people have their favorite things to knit, therefore I wish that there were more books dedicated to specific articles of clothing.  I chose to focus on hats because they're definitely my favorite.  The book itself is not documented yet but here are the two spreads.  It was an double sided accordion book with pockets in between the two sides that kept the patterns - if there's any interest I can show what I mean - lol maybe in the actual books section.  Basically I knit the hat and wrote down what I did as I went to create the patterns.  I'm pretty sure they're not actually all to easy to knit from Tongue  Then I used my schools photography studio to photograph them and then I incorporated my illustrations.  Hope you like 'em! If anyone wants patterns I would love it if people could try them out for me since I didn't have the time to perfect the patterns.

Here's the front the patterns for the hats are behind the woman wearing the hat

Here's the back, the patterns for the hates are behind the woman wearing the hat as well.  I think the image got flipped around... but anyway this side was to show a better look at the hats so people would actually know what they're knitting lol

THIS ROCKS   Logged

gina-marie
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009 08:03:05 AM »

ooops before someone calls me out I better add that the tan hat is crochet.  I confess.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lava means love.
I'm listening!

It could be worse.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2009 08:58:34 AM »

Those hats are fabulous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Zombie_Queen

Crafty Zombie Mama \m/

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2009 12:48:50 PM »

Awesome hats! I'd love patterns
THIS ROCKS   Logged
flafofca
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2009 12:59:50 PM »

Uuu, these hats are smoking!
I adooore the second one!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
urbanstitcher001
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2009 02:50:53 PM »

these are awesome!  i would love some patterns for them! i also love how you did the pictures
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gina-marie
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2009 10:11:25 PM »

Thanks guys! Well, I really want to give you guys some patterns since I've definitely have gotten some great ones from craftster myself.  The only problem is that it will take a while unless someone wants to try any of the patterns I already wrote.  I think the tan one is the only one that really makes sense mathematically.. like the decreases aren't completely spread out evenly along the row.  Otherwise I'm going to re-knit them for etsy so that I can make solid patterns.  Which patterns would people like?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Baking The Perfect Pie
Tell Me Why: Pies!
Gobble Up These Adorable Thanksgiving Turkey Cookies
How to Make a Lemon and Pistachio Tart
Not Your Average Pumpkin Pie
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...