A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 305,018
Currently Running With Scissors:
473 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: First quilt - batting question  (Read 2041 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Kerallyn

Shiny. Let's be bad guys.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: December 19, 2009 06:48:12 AM »

I am making a quilt for my nephew who is due just after New Year's.  My sister is like natural themes and is very environmentally conscious so I'm using all cotton fabrics and have found 100% cotton batting.  The packaging says you can pre-soak it if you want avoid shrinkage but makes it sound optional.  So my question is do I want to avoid shrinkage and what is needed to preshrink it?  The batting is considerably larger than my quilt will be, so do I do the whole thing, or do I try to cut it first and hope it doesn't shrink too much?  If I do the whole thing, how soaked does it have to be?  Can I just get it wet and let it dry, or does it have to sit in the water for a while?  Should I use hot or cold water?  Does it have to lay flat to dry or can I hang it over the shower rod?

Thanks for helping Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Kerallyn
I dare to love forever

I need to destash a ton of yarn and fabric.  Send me a PM if you'd like to do a personal swap for some.

I really want the (empty) glass skull bottle that Crystal Head vodka comes in, so PM me if you're willing to swap me one!
kylenstevesmom
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009 08:59:33 AM »

I have never heard of preshrinking your batting before... so I would say yes it's totaly optional!

Now in saying that I haven't used to much cotton batting because I found polyster at a thrift store cheap so I used that instead.

Have you preshrunk you fabric?   If so then it makes sense to preshrink the batting. You will be cutting away the excess batting once you finish binding the quilt, so even if you preshrink it it's not going to make a difference, but that is only my opinion so maybe someone else knows more.

Another think that could happen if you didn't preshrink the fabric, and preshrunk the batting, then when your sister goes to wash the quilt, the fabric will shrink but the batting won't. 

What I tell people when giving them baby quilts is to wash it in cold and hang it to dry.  Most people I send to live in hot countries so tumble dryers are rare, so they are hanging it to dry anyways. 

Good Luck

Theresa
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kerallyn

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2009 11:39:51 AM »

I have washed the fabric which I'm assuming will cause any shrinking that's going to happen.  So I guess I should do the same for the batting.  Any thoughts how how long it needs to soak in order to shrink?  Is it enough to just get it wet and then hang it, or does it need to sit in the water for a while?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Kerallyn
I dare to love forever

I need to destash a ton of yarn and fabric.  Send me a PM if you'd like to do a personal swap for some.

I really want the (empty) glass skull bottle that Crystal Head vodka comes in, so PM me if you're willing to swap me one!
SimplySandy
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2009 08:34:59 PM »

Don't worry about preshrinking the batting.  Once your wash the quilt after it's finished, the crinkling look from the small amount of shrinkage will give it a wonderful look.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tangerine_Dreams
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2009 07:41:05 PM »

If you really want to pre-shrink, you can use your tub (that's what I did the one time I pre-shrunk lol).  But honestly, I'm lazy and just wash everything at the end in the washing machine (and use color catchers just in case Smiley ).

THIS ROCKS   Logged

(`v)
`*..*
..*) .*)
(. (. . .`..~Jessica~
sloth003
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

i still have all my marbles.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2009 07:52:01 PM »

i usually preshrink my fabric but not my batting.  simplysandy is right.  you get a cool old style crinkle when your batting shrinks after the quilt is done.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Seeking scraps! I'm in need of a variety of white on white scraps. (2.5inch square minimum) for pixel quilts. Have any? Swap for? PM me! Smiley

Stupid men are often capable of things the clever would not dare to contemplate- Terry Pratchett
Kerallyn

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2009 05:32:19 AM »

If you really want to pre-shrink, you can use your tub (that's what I did the one time I pre-shrunk lol).  But honestly, I'm lazy and just wash everything at the end in the washing machine (and use color catchers just in case Smiley ).

Ooh, what are color catchers?  I get the concept, but what do you actually put in there?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Kerallyn
I dare to love forever

nemejia
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2009 12:56:27 PM »

Ooh, what are color catchers?  I get the concept, but what do you actually put in there?

I use Carbona Dye Grabber found in the detergent aisle of my supermarket. there are other brands as well

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&um=1&sa=1&q=dye+grabber&aq=f&oq=&aqi=&start=0
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CraftyBikerChick
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2010 07:44:49 AM »

I never pre-wash fabrics (sometimes the reds) or batting. Are you using Warm and Natural? That's what I use. I've never had a problem with it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tangerine_Dreams
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2010 06:20:21 PM »

Shout Color Catchers.  I get it in the laundry aisle.  I usually use 1 or 2 depending on the colors.  I have a quilt with some Bright Pink Kona Cotton that STILL bleeds a bit, but the color catcher always picks it up.  Works well and keeps my white Kona from being stained. 

http://www.shoutitout.com/preserve-colors.aspx

(And I like Warm and Natural batting too!!)

THIS ROCKS   Logged

(`v)
`*..*
..*) .*)
(. (. . .`..~Jessica~
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Stanley Tucci Shares Family Recipes in His New Cookbook
R.L. Stine Reveals His New Adult Novel Red Rain
The Final Death of the Novel
Exposing Scientology
Margaret Atwood on Writing Dystopia
Latest Blog Articles
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner
Tute Tuesday: Upcycled Car Trash Bag with Liner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...