A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,562
Currently Running With Scissors:
339 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I made a couch, from a couch  (Read 2356 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

christinad
« on: January 02, 2010 04:25:35 PM »

So we had this old sleeper sofa that had lost a couple of springs and sunk terribly into the frame.  I put a futon mattress and several blankets in the bed to fluff the couch up but it never really worked to well.  I always sank into it and it caused my back agonizing pain.  I new that we needed a new couch but it just wasnt in the budget.  I would torture myself daily looking online at all the couches that would never be mine.  Finally, one day while browsing couches I saw what I call a platform couch.  It was a platform that cushions sat on with a single piece of wood across the back supporting the back cushions.  I thought I could do that!  So I set to it.  I got out scissors, screwdrivers and a hammer.  I have to say that the deconstruction of my old couch was pretty theraputic!  I saved all the foam, batting, the mattress, the futon mattress and the cushions and threw out the rest.  I then got to work building my new couch.  Here it is...

With the pillows...

And without the pillows...

Basically I took an old door that was just taking up space in my garage, stained it and cut 4 legs from a 4"x4" post.  This created my platform.  To support the back cushions I took a 1"x6" board cut it to length and attached it to the door with heavy metal bar that I got at the hardware store (To make it easier on myself I had them cut the bar to the length I needed).

The seat cushion I made out of the pull out mattress and the original cushions, putting the cushions inside the mattress like a burrito and then took upholstery fabric that a cousin gave me and stitched it together.  The back cushion was made out of the futon mattress folded in half length-wise and encased in the upholstery fabric.  Finally, I had enough fabric leftover to make some long rectangular throw pillows that I stuffed with the batting from the original couch.  I am very pleased with the results.  My back never bothers me anymore!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
spidernails
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010 06:44:15 PM »

Wow, that's pretty fantastic!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Woodlyn
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010 08:22:34 PM »

Omg! Just the other day I was googling how to build a couch from an old couch, lol. My icky old sleeper sofa has the same problem yours did.

You did a great job! I'm hoping to do the same this summer, hopefully my results will be as successful Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Virg
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2010 09:17:15 PM »

Very impressive!  Great job!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
eternallyeve
Tutorial Contributor

Live - Love - Create

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010 05:34:22 AM »

You made a COUCH! That is so totally Craftster-chic.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Come visit me Smiley
Website - Gallery - Blog - Tutorials - Store

Our collaborative craft blog!
Hand Made-n's
Greenseeds
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2010 08:30:40 AM »

Wow, good for you! What an awesome job. The couch looks wonderful and comfy. Has a very contemporary look to it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Corntree
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2010 09:56:17 PM »

This is really neat.  Smiley  Nice job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death."
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Carve a Pumpkin
How to Make Ribbon Headbands
Making Ribbon Ponytail Holders
How to Make a 1950s Hostess Apron
How to Make a Ribbon Watchband
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...