A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,048
Currently Running With Scissors:
417 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Oatmeal Canister Knitting Needle/ Crochet Hook Organizer  (Read 3757 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , repurpose  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tabooCREATIONS
« on: December 18, 2009 09:04:05 AM »

I never got around to making a roll up case for my Knitting Needles and Crochet Hooks.  Bored out of my mind yesterday ( recently lost my job ), and tired of my knitting/ crocheting stuff falling out of my yarn basket.  I used oohmybees Knitting Bucket Organizer as inspiration.   Since I never got around to buying a bucket  to make the Knitting Bucket Organizer ,  what I did have was Oatmeal canisters ( my boyfriends eats about two bowls a day so we go through alot of Oatmeal).  So I came up with this.

It fits a bit snug, but I am able to slip my crochet hooks in, but I think if I remake it,  I'll add a bit more .

Let me know if any one wants a pattern, I actually wrote down measurements this time instead of going with the flow.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009 07:47:38 PM by tabooCREATIONS » THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009 09:13:24 AM »

wow--as much as I love my needle rolls, I would love to keep my needles within reach INSTANTLY! I love your idea (and I eat lots of oatmeal!)! How does it slip over the box?

I was thinking also of somehow weighting down the bottom so my cats can't tip it over--any ideas for that?

cool idea and useful!

« Last Edit: December 18, 2009 09:48:59 AM by alwaysinmyroom » THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2014 101/150 ?
PINTEREST
Will swap for art
tabooCREATIONS
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009 09:37:09 AM »

Oh Sorry,  I fixed the links, and its actually oohmybees.   I copied my post over from my blog and some code got messed up.

It's basically a tube, and you simply turn out the upper half over the out side of the canister.

Here is an image that I took last night, please don't mind the mess on my drafting table.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make all things!!

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2009 09:48:39 AM »

oh brilliant! and simple! I could then just put a small bag of sand in the bottom to weight it down! Thank you so much!

Oh--and I did go over to the link--I love her bucket, but in reality, I don't even have the patience to pair the needles up that neatly--I love your simpler idea that works with how I really am!!  Grin
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009 09:51:50 AM by alwaysinmyroom » THIS ROCKS   Logged

PINTEREST
Will swap for art
tabooCREATIONS
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2009 10:50:40 AM »

I think the a bag of sand would help weigh it down.  I really like the look of the Bucket,everything neat and tidy in a row,  but I am not that organized.  Like you, I find it easier if they were just kind of piled in there.  I'm writing up a tutorial today, but my computer is being slow at the moment, so I may not be done with it until tonight.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

lydiaharper
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2009 11:59:37 AM »

I too would love a pattern/tute.  I have two empty oatmeal containers ready to go.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

tabooCREATIONS
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2009 07:37:00 PM »

Tutorial is finally here!
The full PDF is available for download off my blog.  It's a fairly large file, so if you open it in your browser it might take a bit to fully load.  If not, feel free to right-click, and save.  For those of you weary of downloading things off the internet here are images, re-sized for the thread. Smiley

*Please note that this image has been scaled down from the original PDF, so the Part E is not the right diameter of 7inches.  You will need to print page 2 of the tutorial to get the circle pattern, or find an item that has the same diameter.

Feel free to let me know if you have any questions or concerns.  I am self taught, I tried the write this as clear as possible, please forgive if any errors

I just realized that I wrote "Pine" instead of "Pin" on one of the pages.  Opps. Tongue
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009 07:51:20 PM by tabooCREATIONS » THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make all things!!

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2009 06:31:01 AM »

awesome!  I have about two more servings to go out of my oatmeal box--I might just have to dump it into a tupperware!

I am most excited that you provided the measurements! It makes it faster to cut everything out! I also like the idea that you have a spot for yarn needles! Everything in one place...2010 is my year for organization that fits me!

Thanks!

Thanks!  I will post my pic when I get it done! Awesome!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PINTEREST
Will swap for art
xdragonladyx
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2012 01:11:40 PM »

When I was telling my Grandmother about needing good storage for my knitting needles she suggested using an oatmeal container.  While hers wasn't as awesome as this, she did have one really good suggestion that would make this idea even better.  Leave the lid on, and poke holes through it for your needles.  The ends of the needles with the flat head stick up so you can tell what you want, you can pair the holes up so they stay together too.  My only regret is that my collection is comprised of dpns and those wouldn't work so well.  My measly two pair of needles this would work for hardly justify making it regardless of the useful pockets on the sides.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make all things!!

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2012 12:52:32 PM »

Wouldn't you have to have all different sizes of holes for the different needle sizes?  It would not be so practical for me since I probably would not put them back into their proper sized holes! Grin...

I totally forgot that I wanted to make this back in 2009!  I am using an oatmeal box now to hold my needles but it is still ugly cardboard...time to get this one done...xdragonldayx--I am also looking for a way to store circulars and DPN's that will be practical and functional...I am using a cloth pouch now but it is a pain to dig through and look for a set of three or four of the same sizes!! Cheesy

How do you do it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PINTEREST
Will swap for art
mamarose22
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2012 02:53:23 PM »

I think the oatmeal boxes were larger when I was a little girl.  In elementary school, I remember we did some finger painting and we used it to paste it on to the oatmeal containers.  The tops of the containers were also cardboard (not plastic like they are today) and we pulled a thread to rip the paper covering to separate the cover from the container.  We covered the outside of the cover with the finger painting also.  We punched a hole on the sides of the container near the top and also through the cover near the edges.  We made a big knot in a long piece of rope and threaded it through the container from the inside and went up through the bottom of the cover, across the top and down the other side of the cover, then through the outside of the conainer back into the insde and made another big knot   This way we could lift the cover up and down and it wouldn't get lost as it was attached with the rope.  The rope was long enough so we used it as a handle.  I used it for a knitting box to carry my yarn and needles with me.  Years ago I told a scout leader about this project and she had her little girl scouts do something like this and they covered their boxes with contact paper.  There are lots of things you can do with the simple cereal box.  You can even decoupage it.  
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life is a coin, you can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it once.
http://www.pinterest.com/mamarose22/
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Viral’s Secret Formula: Why Things Catch On by Jonah Berger
The Lake House by Marci Nault
Warning: Do Not Open Open This Book by Matthew Forsythe
Hatfields and McCoys: A Good Feud Never Dies
Whistling Past the Graveyard by Susan Crandall
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...