A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,536
Currently Running With Scissors:
538 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Chinese dumplings (jiaozi) - Lotsa pics  (Read 8263 times)
Tags for this thread: chinese_dumplings , recipe , craftster_best_of_2009  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

schnerby
« on: December 18, 2009 08:29:39 AM »

So, here's how to make the standard dish of Northern China. My delightful assistants (and one I call the dumpling master) are students at the Chinese university I teach at.

We made both these mixtures and ended up with over 100 dumplings. The 4 of us stuffed ourselves for lunch and another student and I will polish them off for dinner. Somehow 4 of us cooked all this in a Chinese university apartment kitchen.

Mushroom and cabbage filling
(I made this one because I am vegetarian)
A pile of mushrooms, diced finely or put through the food processor, about 4 cups diced so you need a generous amount
About 1/3 large Chinese cabbage, diced very finely or put through the food processor
1-2 tbs ginger grated finely
splash of soy sauce (about 1-2 tbs I suppose)
1/2 packet of dumpling seasoning mix (Asian grocer - or substitute with powdered spices and whatever to your liking, about 2 tbs in total)

You can use heaps of different fillings with cabbage being the key binding ingredient. Other than that you have a pretty free choice on veg/egg/other fillings)

Wash and dice the ingredients. Take small handfuls of cabbage and squeeze if firmly between your hands to get the excess water out from when you washed it. This is important as the water makes the dunplings burst open. Also squeeze out the mushrooms. Mix all the ingredients for the stuffings together in large bowls.

Take your dumpling skins (see below) and begin to stuff them. You need to have dry hands and a dry, floured board to put them on.

First put a dumpling skin on the fingers of your non-writing hand. Cup your hand a little. Put a small amount of filling in the dumpling, about 1 heaped teaspoon. You will get a feel for the amount you need as you are making them.

Next bring the two edges closest and furtherest from your body together. Squeeze the edge tightly.

Next put the two halves of the dumplings between your thumbs and forefingers. Squeeze tightly again, making sure you squeeze right to the edge.

Da-da! A dumpling.

Fancy-pants version.
Squeeze the top together and then make little pleats in the side which faces away from you. Squeeze each pleat nice and tightly. Each side should have 4 pleats.

You can also gather around the edges like a drawstring bag to make round ones

Or, sandwich some filling between 2 skins and squeeze all the way around the edges.

Next you need to put them in a pot of rapidly boiling water. Put the lid back on and boil them. Check after agout 5 minutes. They are done when, as the student put it, they have big, puffy, fat bellies.  Cheesy
The meat ones take longer than the veggie ones.

Dipping Sauce
Take about 6 cloves of garlic (Chinese garlic is not strong flavoured) and smash them up in the mortar and pestle or chop them finely. Also heat some oil and pour it over dried chillies - it smells great.
Each person should have a small bowl. In this bowl they put as much garlic and chillies as they like then top it all with vinegar. The dark vinegar is better, but white is ok too. Dip the dumplings into the sauce and eat. Mmmmm

You can freeze uncooked dumplings and then put them into bags to eat later. I've heard you can keep them several months, but I don't believe in having dumplings in the house. I feel it is my duty to eat them!  Cheesy Cheesy

Dumpling skins:
I buy fresh premade ones from the noodle shop around the corner. Most of you won't have that luxury, but you can probably buy the skins in an Asian grocer or supermarket. If that fails, why not make your own?

A recipe I found online at rom http://brooklynmasalanyc.blogspot.com/2008/02/dumpling-skin-recipe.html
Ingredients (enough for over forty dumplings)

4 cups flour, plus more for dusting

cold water

Put the flour in a large bowl and place under the faucet. Mix the flour in a swirling motion and turn the faucet to barely a steady stream. Stir until all the flour has formed into nubs the size of peanuts. Turn off the water and work the dough into a large ball, turning constantly. The dough should be slightly tacky without any dough actually sticking to your hands. Cover the bowl with a wet towel and let sit anywhere from two to four hours. It's important to let the dough relax or you'll end up with a tough dough that keeps shrinking on itself when you try to roll it out.

Break the dough into four pieces. Work one piece at a time and keep the others covered with a wet towel. Roll or stretch out the piece of dough into a rope, then cut the rope into sections--I like to use scissors. It doesn't matter how thin or thick you roll the rope, but each finished section should be about a tablespoon of dough. Flatten each ball of dough with your palms and dust well with flour. Roll into a three inch round with a rolling pin, making the edges thinner than the center.

UPDATE: I've moved back home to Australia and purchased wonton skins (still labelled jiaozi pi in Chinese) from the Asian grocer. They were a bit firmer and needed a bit firmer squeeze to close off, but they turned out exactly the same. The grocer also sold yellow-coloured square skins - these are not what you're after.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014 09:11:12 PM by schnerby » THIS ROCKS   Logged

The Sketchbook Project 2012 My theme: Hope

I have hundreds of purple buttons (a few different styles). Personal swap?
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009 08:53:19 AM »

This looks like a fabulous group thing to do during a blizzard (which we are expecting tonight!)...lots of fun and fabulous food to eat afterwards! You guys look like you were having fun!

Thanks for the detailed pics--I can cook only through example, not by reading a recipe!

I love these!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2014
123/150
PINTEREST
Will swap for art
InShambles
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009 10:17:55 AM »

Thank you so much for this recipe and very detailed instructions! I will definitely be making these soon.  Grin Are the wrappers the same as wonton wrappers or are these thicker?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wist - http://wists.com/InShambles
Art + Music = Happiness
PureOath
Raconteur Extraordinare

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2009 10:27:38 AM »

Oh gosh thank you for this tut.  I will be making these very soon!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am looking to do a personal swap with (or will outright pay for) a knitter who could make an adult sized knitted t-rex sweater for Christmas. If anyone is interested, please let me know.
schnerby
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2009 07:36:07 PM »

Thank you so much for this recipe and very detailed instructions! I will definitely be making these soon.  Grin Are the wrappers the same as wonton wrappers or are these thicker?

To be honest I've never used purchased wonton wrappers, but I believe these are thicker.

You should give these a go for sure. They're healthy, yummy and fun to make with a group of people
THIS ROCKS   Logged

abachii
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2009 11:36:03 PM »

those look delicious, and i think i'm gonna try them. i'm a bit intimidated by the dumpling skins- my chinese friend is always saying it's an art that takes a long time to master- but they look yummy enough that i'll manage to force myself to eat the unperfect ones Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
brohealth02
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2009 11:41:44 PM »

Wow,great recipes,I love Chinese Jiaozi,thanks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

free recipes for cooking
schnerby
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2009 08:53:16 AM »

i'm a bit intimidated by the dumpling skins- my chinese friend is always saying it's an art that takes a long time to master- but they look yummy enough that i'll manage to force myself to eat the unperfect ones Grin

Don't let yourself be intimidated! They're actually not that tough to make. If you do find them a bit tricky, there is always the Asian grocer, if you have on nearby.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2009 12:27:46 PM »

these look great, thanks for the very detailed tute.  I dont have any asian grocers near me, so what spices would I use for the spice mix??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

schnerby
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2009 09:18:46 PM »

Here is the ingredient list on the packet I have:

Excuse any dodgy translation  Cheesy

Fennel fruit, hawthorn, angelica root, galangal, star anise, liquorice, cinnamon, clove, white pepper, tsao-ko amomum fruit.

An Asian 5-spice would do, as would a bit of pepper, cloves, and whatever you felt like!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Embellish a Painted Sky
How to Paint Sand using Oil Paints
Learn About Art Canvases
Learning About Different Painting tools
How to Make a Paint Pallet
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...