A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,694
Currently Running With Scissors:
489 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Brother 1034D Serger/Overlock  (Read 3708 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

fochaux
« on: December 18, 2009 06:31:05 AM »

I broke down and finally got a serger......after 2 or 3 years of shopping around, this is literally the only machine I could thread in all the stores I went to and that I could afford.  We've had nothing but awesome experiences with our Brother products, even my first machine which was a lower-end one from Walmart is still in AWESOME working condition and is nearly 10 years old.  Here's to hoping this is the same Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Since my girls actually nap (knock on wood), I am going to start trying to work off my negative feedback.  Life got hectic with their early arrival.  I apologize for the inconveniences my flaking caused.
Lrigrem

<3 HP, Twilight, Halloween

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009 10:17:51 AM »

Oh oh oh!!!  Tell me what you think!  I'm looking on amazon, and this one has tons of great reviews & is at the top of my list at the moment!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ask a Gentern who they prefer, ten out of nine will say "The Pavi!" <3 Oghr!
Repo! The Genetic Opera R3 Swap
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=401054.0

http://pinterest.com/lrigrem/
jerryleetypes
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2009 05:28:41 PM »

this is literally the only machine I could thread in all the stores I went to and that I could afford.

There's a trick to threading a serger... tie off your new thread to the old thread and pull all the threads together from the stitching point. As for "affordable" Brother sewing machines I will keep my opinions to myself Wink.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fochaux
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2009 07:01:22 AM »

this is literally the only machine I could thread in all the stores I went to and that I could afford.

There's a trick to threading a serger... tie off your new thread to the old thread and pull all the threads together from the stitching point. As for "affordable" Brother sewing machines I will keep my opinions to myself Wink.

well, there is a problem when you can't even initially thread a machine.  I like brothers, some people don't.  I just happen to be one of the ones that does.  All I need is a very basic serger anyway just to do things like baby wipes and receiving blankets
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Since my girls actually nap (knock on wood), I am going to start trying to work off my negative feedback.  Life got hectic with their early arrival.  I apologize for the inconveniences my flaking caused.
miasu
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2009 02:56:51 PM »

I love mine Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jerryleetypes
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2009 07:19:43 PM »

Well, I think my problem with Brother machines can best be summed up by something a sewing machine repair man told me several years ago. This old repairman was telling me about a customer of his who kept bringing in a Brother sewing machine that he bought at Walmart. The customer used his machine every day but it needed adjusting every month or so. Obviously this started getting expensive. The customer asked the repairman what he could do to ensure fewer visits to the sewing machine repair shop. The repairman's response? "Get a different sewing machine. Brothers are junk."

This isn't sewing machine snobbery either... Brother actually makes decent industrial machines and the really old Brothers were good as well. But those bargain Brother machines serve only one purpose and that is to make money for Brother and frustrate the heck out of novice sewers who think they are getting a great "starter machine". My advice: start with a vintage all metal American-built machine from a thrift store for far less than the cost of a new Brother, take it to a repair shop and get it tuned up and enjoy it for probably the rest of your life.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stefferoni
cinderelly cinderelly

mini me

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2009 07:41:02 PM »

I have 8 sewing machines, a serger & an industrial machine (Juki).  Ahem.  I obviously have a problem.  2 of my machines are Brothers.  Both were purchased at Walmart, both I've never had problems with.  The XL 6452 is one I've had for 8 or 9 years (not sure) & my absolute favorite, it's a work horse *knock on wood*.  I won a Singer Curvy online last year, it's my second favorite.  One machine is an Alden with a table I bought from my upholstery class teacher, I love it, too..it sings.  Really, it does.  The others are Singers that come with good tables-I bought them at estate sales & auctions.  They all work like a dream.  My serger is also one I got from Walmart, a Simplicity Serg Pro that I've had for about 7 years, too.  I have my Singers serviced once a year & the others every 6 months cos they get a lot of use.  I also do what I can at home to make sure they're always cleaned..even bought a mini-vacuum!  My embroidery machine is an Innov-is 4000.  It, too, has served me well.  I think it's up to a person, really, as far as preference is concerned.  My dream is to get a Babylock Evolution or Enlighten, though.  *SIIIIIGH*  Someday.

Good luck on your serger!  I honestly don't know what I'd do without mine!  And tying off is something that has saved my hubby from having to hear screams of frustration coming from the craft room, he's learned to do it, too.  Cheesy 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

will do personal swaps, please.  i have tons of fabrics..you have?? wanna trade?

www.mangojellie.etsy.com

"This new learning amazes me, Sir Bedevere. Explain again how sheep's bladders may be employed to prevent earthquakes."
La Maestra
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2009 10:59:48 AM »

I got one of these for Christmas!  Within the first 10 minutes, I had to rethread with different colors, so I tied my knots, and one of them broke on the way through.  I was, like - OMG!  Sergers are hard to thread!  I'm a goner!  But no!  It took a few minutes and a walk through the DVD tutorial and I was up and running!  Here's my first joined seam - woohoo!

Now to learn to flatlock so I can use it as a shortcut on hemming. 

Not sure if the machine is junk, but it gets great reviews, and I sure like it so far.  My other machines two old Singers (a 66 and a 91) and a Pfaff.  So far my only problem with Serging is that darn knife action.  I keep wanting to disengage it and not use it (but then, whats the point?)

Have fun with yours!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Chocolate Whoopie Pies
Greek Lemon Yogurt Cake Recipe
KD101: Strawberry Champagne Pops
How to Make Sticky Buns at Home
Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup
@Home This Weekend: Bee Magnets
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...