A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,875
Currently Running With Scissors:
661 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Replicating rectangular loom knitting? (double knitting with 1 strand of yarn)  (Read 763 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Muria
« on: December 17, 2009 07:38:45 AM »

Ok, so I dislike purling on a loom knitter.  A lot.  Of course, I found this out in the middle of a project.  So I transferred it onto a pair of regular needles. The problem is that all of the double knitting demos I've seen are for colorwork, but I only have the one color.  So I found some useful information here (the post about knit 1, slip 1), but when I knit it, I'm getting rows of purls.
In case it helps (and so people like me who tend to just look at "recent with pics" will see it), here's a picture of the project:

From the red line down was loom knit. The purls above that line are my attempts at double knitting (in case anyone's interested, it's an attempt to replicate atsuko's cool pencil scarf for my son's first grade teacher. The way it's going, she's not likely to get it for Christmas after all).

Help?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009 09:15:31 AM by Muria » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria

Where did all this fabric come from? I CAN'T have bought THAT much!
ALL the boards craftalong: 11/40
Beginning wister
Will personal swap for coins from 1944
Muria
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2009 09:20:16 AM »

Ok, so after much searching through 2 color double knitting posts, I found one that explains the problem: http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to/video/how-to-stitch-a-double-knitting-technique-233303/

Apparently, if you're double knitting with one color, you have to purl to get the knit stitches to show up on the outside. So it's a p1,s1 in order to get knit stitch on the outside. From what I've read, it won't be an exact copy of the knitting loom (which produces a single layer of double sided stocking stitch), but rather a tube of knitting.  If I'd known that, I would have either skipped the purls in the pattern, or just started on DPNs. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria

Beginning wister
Tephra
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2009 03:40:43 PM »

If you want to double knit with one yarn and not have to turn inside out afterward you need to slip the stitches with the yarn in front. Moving the yarn to the front and back every other stitch slows down your knitting so some people prefer to work inside out to be faster. It's not the most common way to double knit. Most commonly the side facing you is the side being worked on when you double knit, using this slip with the yarn in back technique you're actually working the side of the piece that is away from you instead, which is why it ends up purl side out even if you're knitting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Muria
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2009 05:12:25 PM »

That would explain a few things (like why purling didn't help like I thought it would). My next plan was to get a double knitting dvd from the library (not sure how my library has a double knitting dvd, but I wasn't going to question it at this point), and try with a different project (that didn't have so many mangled spots in the yarn from trying to purl on my knitting loom). 

I'd always kind of wanted to learn double knitting, but this is not how I'd envisioned things going. Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Muria

Beginning wister
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Paint Warhammer Figurines
DIY Save The Date Postcard
DIY Save The Date Photo Notecard
DIY Save The Date Calendar
How to Read a Knitting Patten
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Stamping
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...