A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,471
Currently Running With Scissors:
608 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Illustrate/Decorate my Favorite Story Swap (Signups are Open!)  (Read 2957 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kartiana
Getting my crafty back on!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: December 16, 2009 10:55:19 AM »

Inspired in part by the 1000 Journals swap idea http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=328754.0 and also by the need to keep shipping costs low by only shipping paper Smiley

Ok, here is my idea. It is a little complicated so I will do my best to explain.

Remember those campfire stories that would be passed around, everyone adding a sentence or two? Well that is the basic premise of this swap, but with a crafty twist.

Everyone will be assigned a group and everyone will start their own story and add to the other stories in their group. The stories will be written first through e-mail so that everyone will know what part of each story they are responsible for. Then they get crafting. Their part can take up 1 3 pages and must be crafty in some way; illustrated, decorated, etc. A paper size will also be decided on so everyone can have a finished book at the end. When everyone has received the pages for their story they will post them in order in the gallery for everyone to read.

The stories can be ended by the last person in each chain, or the starter can decide to leave it open for future rounds (this would be a gamble as it would be the first round)

Would also need to figure out a min and max word/sentence limit per contribution.

Any other ideas? Different ideas? Anyone else interested?

I think this would be a lot of fun, everyone will end up with a story full of different styles. Smiley

Current Idea:
Use an existing story, break into sections, each person in the group will craft one part of the other stories. (read on for the swap idea progression)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010 07:55:47 AM by kartiana » THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pintrest
Salsa De Mango

Collecting plaid flannel and denim (6.5" x 6.5" or larger) for a rag quilt, willing to swap for fabric Wink
kartiana

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2009 01:30:42 PM »

Or if writing isn't your thing maybe it could be a "Illustrate my favorite story" swap? Everyone would get a part of an existing story and they would craftify that?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pintrest
Salsa De Mango

Collecting plaid flannel and denim (6.5" x 6.5" or larger) for a rag quilt, willing to swap for fabric Wink
calluna
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2009 02:02:06 PM »

I think this would be such fun! But there would be so much suspense waiting for the next part of the story to show up in the gallery, too!  Smiley We could even do the set of pages accordian-style and make a basic pop-up in the folds, if we were to get really fancy. Count me in.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 swaps completed! Thank you, Craftster family!
kartiana

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2009 08:39:28 AM »

I've started planning for this and the idea of using existing stories would be a lot less complicated than making up a new story, so I will stick with that. The stories would be broken up into sections (paragraphs or scenes), and I would try to match groups up depending on number of sections (so that everyone is crafting as many as they are getting). There would have to be a story size limit, so that no one chooses a novel Tongue and some other general rules/guidelines...

I really hope more people are interested in this. I've already started writing the questionnaire and swap details. Smiley Sometimes I get too far ahead of myself.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pintrest
Salsa De Mango

sushiluvzombie
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2009 06:17:32 PM »

okay this sounds like a really fun idea but i'm a liiiittle confused.
like say i was in a group and our story was sleeping beauty, would i be doing just one page of one part, or multiple pages of one part so it could be sent to everyone in the group, or multiple pages of different parts and then send those to different group members?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

calluna
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2009 11:39:18 AM »

Hmmm....I guess it could go in any of those directions...Now I'm confused, too!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kartiana

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2009 05:28:16 PM »

sorry to be confusing! Everyone will pick their own story and send a different part of it to everyone in their group. Everyone in the group would get one part of each story. Make sense? There will have to be a size limit so that everyone is crafting the same amount, or if a story is too long then the person who picked it can craft the extra themselves or save it for future rounds.

Hope this helps explain what's in my head!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pintrest
Salsa De Mango

sushiluvzombie
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2009 05:11:56 PM »

alright so basicly each person illustrates the whole story however they choose, and then sends the different pages to different group members, so everyone ends up with one page/one part made by each group member to make our own book once we're done?
sounds like fun to me! count me in whenever signups arrive
THIS ROCKS   Logged

calluna
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2009 09:21:38 PM »

I think it's rather than illustrating an entire story, we each illustrate a section of several stories--if we're doing our favorite stories.

If we were to do the ongoing story version, where we create the story in a chain, then it would be fun to have everyone illustrate the entire story and send each section to someone different.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sushiluvzombie
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2009 08:36:20 AM »

oh okay, so we'll be illustrating whatever part from whatever story each group member gives to us and then send the illustration to them. i think i got it now
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Puff Pastry Coins - Adding the Filling
How to Make Puff Pastry Coins
Cuts of Beef from the Sirloin and Tenderloin
Cuts of Meat from the Short Loin
Cuts of Beef from the Rib
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...