A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 298,682
Currently Running With Scissors:
681 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 13 years of handmade Yule cards  (Read 1825 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Wulf
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Smalltacular is bestter.

View Profile WWW
« on: December 15, 2009 09:04:05 PM »

I've been making our own Yule cards for 25 years now, and I gathered up a pile of them to have a look at together. They vary a lot, from stark and plain to rather over-conceptual, but each year has been different and some have been quite nice. My partner Ian and I send out a lot of cards every year - usually 60 to 90 - so they have to be something affordable in both cost and effort. Some years I've had a really great idea and started early; most years I think about it for months and finally come up with something in mid-November. There were a few years where circumstances or creative-malaise got in the way and we had to send commercially-printed cards. Always a disappointment.

Here are a few of the cards. The inside view of each is shown with the front of the card. You can click on the thumbnails for a better look and a few notes about method, content, etc. There are more in the photo stream -- I didn't want to make people scroll down a long posting, but you can browse through them in the photo hosting pool. Let me know if this doesn't work for viewing - I'm just trying this out.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Juliska
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009 02:25:36 AM »

these are very, very beautiful! I especially love the idea with the stamps! Unbelievable, that you do 90 cards every year! Your friends are lucky  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lolaforpresident
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009 10:46:09 AM »

Oooh I love these. You have done a lot of great work. I bet your grinds just love these.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Wulf

Smalltacular is bestter.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009 05:55:33 PM »

I liked the stamp one too. It was a lot of fun matching people up with appropriate designs. (We started earlier that year.) And postage stamps are often beautiful little works of art that don't get appreciated much except by collectors.

Eighty or ninety cards is a lot to make, but as the postal rates have climbed over the years (up 20 cents since 1984!) it's the cost of mailing them that I've come to dread!

Wulf
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Juliska
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2009 02:44:34 AM »

Shocked Oh, I haven't thought about the costs! But you are right! (Last year I sent a gift to a relative to another country and the costs for the parcel were higher than for the gift)
I was always upset, when I got a stamp that was beautiful, because I didn't know what to do with them - now you gave me a great idea! Thank you!!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ceep
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2009 01:46:58 PM »

I do close to 100 cards, although I only have to mail about 55.  Not only postage, but printer ink is a killer.  I've been stacking them up as I change them and so far I have FIVE empties--and I still have about 25 cards to print.  Gah!

Since I started in 1989 I have used whatever technology I had at the time...the first few were done on a photocopier!

Carol
Extreme Cards and Papercrafting

Here is the index to my cards:
http://extremecards.blogspot.com/2008/02/extreme-xmas-cards.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wulf

Smalltacular is bestter.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2009 08:22:21 PM »

Oh my, Carol, I'm absolutely in AWE! I thought the first few in your Xmas card blog list were good, and then they just got better and better. When I got to the 1997 wallet, I was stunned! I love the fact that you're putting so much work into elaborate jokes that you probably know many recipients will totally miss. But of course you're not really doing it for them, are you?

Many of these must be a simply insane amount of painstaking work to print, cut and assemble, but I have no trouble understanding why you do it. I used to teach theatre prop building, and one year I got the bright idea of giving the students their marks for each project in the form of a different fake document. It started out simple, with a store receipt, then a doctor's prescription, and a little more elaborate each time until the final project mark for which they each got a lottery ticket that they had to scratch to reveal their "winning" marks. I came across one of them recently and thought "What the heck was I thinking? And when did I have time to do this?"

Thanks so much for sharing these. You've raised the bar for handmade cards, and given me lots of great inspiration!

Wulf
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ceep
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2009 09:54:02 AM »

Seriously, yeah, it is all about amusing myself.   Wink

If I think it's funny, it goes in, even if no one will "get" it.  Everything is there for a reason.  Even my own mother doesn't get the joke most of the time.

Carol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Phizzychick
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2009 12:44:05 PM »

These are all wonderful, Wulf! I loved looking through your gallery.

I always make my own cards too, but I wish I had kept a better record of them! I visited my aunt recently and it was funny to see all the cards I'd sent for the past few years all out on one shelf. So lovely that she'd kept them and put them out. I had no idea! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wulf

Smalltacular is bestter.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2010 09:08:58 PM »

Thanks, Phizzychick, I'm glad you liked them. And my advice is to ask your aunt to save her card collection for you. I only put together this gallery of cards this summer when I was helping to clear out the apartment of a friend who'd died, and found a cache of our old cards, a couple of which I had completely forgotten about. I realized I'd never really made a point of keeping them, and now didn't even know how many we've sent out over the years. From now on I'm keeping a proper album of them, for my own reference at least.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Winter Weather: Amazing Ice Architecture Worldwide
Spanish Artist Creates Cement Human Sculptures
How to Build a Cool Sand Castle
AK-47 Art Show in London
Master Sand Sculptor the Amazing Walter
Latest Blog Articles
Challenge #104 Halloween Costume Winner
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...