A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 301,599
Currently Running With Scissors:
576 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Wine Bottles!  (Read 2629 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Mydan
She's Crafty

"O dont buy that! I'll do it for ya."

View Profile
« on: December 15, 2009 06:48:50 PM »

I have TONS of wine bottles... I was going to use them as a garden border, but just found out we will be moving soon, so no point in putting them in the ground.
I really dont want to toss them all into the recycle bin b/c it took me forever (ok, well maybe just a couple months) to get this many!

What to do, what to do???

Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Are You There, Vodka? It's Me, Mydan.
goktrose
The Mad-town Crafter

If you stumble, make it part of your dance.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009 05:28:29 PM »

Stick a candle in it and make some pretty awesome candle holders, especially when the wax melts down a bit!
Use them to display bracelets, or as vases.

I also found this on wikihow :
Light a tea candle, and put it on a secure surface. Hold the wine bottle horizontally over the candle so the flame just barely touches the middle of the bottle. Hold the wine bottle's ends with both hands, and slowly rotate the bottle over the flame, as if the flame was cutting around the wine bottle. After about five minutes of this, the wine bottle should have cleanly cut in half. If it hasn't done this after five minutes, run the section under cold water. It will break in half if it hasn't already. The edges are extremely sharp after this process, so use sand paper to smooth out the edges. Although you are cutting it in half, this only makes one cup.

If you are extremely crafty, http://www.sustainlane.com/reviews/wine-not-recycle-ten-ways-to-recycle-wine-bottles/A4XKFR8TWNANIR1HPFJIUPRY2C9O has some amazing ideas!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest
I am always up for a personal swap! Odds and ends are my anti-drug
50 in 2015: 6/50
Mrs_Young
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010 10:53:32 PM »

Colored water!

Marker or food dye
it looks really cool Smiley

or you could do a ship in the bottle
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Love is all you need
funkensteins
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010 07:23:53 PM »

Make wine!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jasminerenee
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011 07:15:50 PM »

I love the idea of a wine bottle lamp. You need a strand of small-bulb lights (20 to 50 bulbs, will give off different brightness) and a wine bottle. The smaller bulbs fit easier into the bottle. Make sure the bottle is washed and thoroughly dry, and gently push the bulbs into the bottle, until only the cord is sticking out. I used a thin line of hot glue to glue the cord to the mouth of the bottle and down the back where it wouldn't be seen. I used a blue bottle, and have it tucked up into a bookshelf. Its plugged into an outlet connected to the light switch in our guest bedroom, so when you turn on the switch, this pretty blue wine bottle lamp lights up. My friends love it, and I've made several for gifts! The really pretty colored wine bottles work best. I have done peach glass, blue, green, and even orange bottles. White lights work best when the bottle is a little more see-through!

Jasmine Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
indigoaquarius
2nd hand & Scrap fabrics rock!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2011 06:48:41 PM »

In my old house I had a wicked awesome wooden shelf in the bathroom. I filled clear wine bottles with colored bubble baths and then put fancy little cork stoppers from the dollarstore in them! It looked really cool and I always had a half dozen choices for a relaxing bubble bath Smiley And every single woman who used the bathroom over a 2 year period asked where I got them and how much they were lol It became a conversation piece!

Or like someone said... make wine! Smiley (I make wine a few times a year... it is a fun hobby!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Once upon a time a girl named Indigo played with her Gran's sewing machine... the rest is fabric hoarding, sewing addicting history!
kiera-oona
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2011 01:43:06 PM »

I know Im a little behind on this thread...but what I've done is make incence holders out of them.  I even made a video to show how it's done

I made this one for myself, then covered it with polymer clay.

And this link goes to my video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJMdtZlPtDs
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shannon1976
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2011 08:45:09 PM »

Make bath salts and give them as gifts, or homemade Kahlua.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KayleighAnn
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2011 03:47:18 PM »

You can make them into oil burning torches for your new garden? Gives a good reason to take them. Not sure it will work if I post the website but : http://lifehacker.com/5337562/recycle-wine-bottles-into-stylish-outdoor-torches

If this doesnt work google ' recycle wine bottle torch'

Also I saw them used as a raised mosaic, they were turned upside down and cemented into the garden in a circle surrounded by bricking. It looked really pretty and I think they are something worth taking with you!

KayleighAnn
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Alexus1325
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2011 01:35:58 PM »

Or you can knap yourself some arrowheads and knife blades Cheesy

http://cavemanchemistry.com/oldcave/projects/stone/bottle.html
http://flintknappinginfo.webstarts.com/uploads/PressureFlaking.pdf
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hONnNHAaGjY&feature=relmfu

*EDIT*

I couldn't help myself. After writing about it, I had to finally try it Tongue

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=381758.0
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011 10:04:02 PM by Alexus1325 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Introduction to Photoshop Lesson 1
The Basic of Photoshop
The Basic of Photoshop Lesson 3
The Basic of Photoshop
The Basic of Photoshop Lesson 1
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Removable Fabric Wallpaper
Tute Tuesday: Candy, Anyone?
Crafty Kitchen

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...