A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,875
Currently Running With Scissors:
548 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Hopi Inspired Blanket crafted from traditional ;-) material (simple tutorial)  (Read 825 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , blanket  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MegRoseSews
« on: December 15, 2009 09:55:57 AM »

Do you really mean that Joanne's anti-pill, coordinating colors fleece is not a traditional and ancient material used by the Hopi people for generations?

Youre kidding me, right?

My daughters best friend Aimee goes to college at the University of Northern Arizona in Flagstaff. This blanket is destined for her bed. And yes, I do love the real thing when it comes to the work of Hopi craftspeople.

Tutorial

Bet you do have time to make one for Christmas. And still a couple of days to make one for Hannukkah (oh, you wanted to get some sleep? never mind) (Hey, that fleece is on sale 50% off at Joannes! No, I don't work there and no, I'm not getting enough for another one - had enough fleece for this year.)

1) 3 yards of each color of fleece. Yes, its on sale about 75% of the year. Also scraps of old fleece projects for the design. You could buy maybe 1/3 yard pieces if you arent a hoarder. Im trying to stop being one.

2) I did the Hopi-inspired appliqu first. I like a super wide zig-zag when appliquing on fleece. It doesnt ravel or fall apart when you wash it and you dont have to cover every nanometer of fabric. Also black and bright colored thread looks attractive.

a)   I glued down the appliqu pieces before sewing, onto the slightly misshapen lime green square. Yes, that is supposed to be arty. Pretend it is if you dont think so. Cutting out the holes so the green showed through like shoot I cant think of that beautiful sewing technique where you do that and embroider the edges of the hole was something I hadnt done before. I like that effect as well as the layered appliqu. I also scattered tiny snips of fleece around the edges of the design for a couple of reasons.
a.   Too much blank space around the design
b.   I thought they looked like bugs for the frog (my design is a frog you got that, right?)
c.   It was so nifty to use every single scrap hoarder mentatlity
b)   I used those big white headed quilt pins to attach the appliqud square to one side of the blanket (bright turquoise). Play with multiple colors of thread here and multiple sized stitches. It could have used even more colors and borders, but I wanted to finish.

c)   The lime green piece was floating over the turquoise a little too much so I did a quilt-style sew down in black thread. I like that effect ! ALSO shadow appliqued around the frog on the lime green in black thread. I set my straight stitch bigger - maybe 3.5.

3) Then I layed the top piece (bright turquoise) onto the back (pale acqua blue). I used a foldout cardboard cutting board to get it reasonably straight and flat. Then I went all around with piins.

4) Then I rolled the quilt like a big burrito from one side to the other and repined so it was really what would that be? Flush? So it really matched up between the two sides.

5) Then I trimmed it to more or less fit. Its ok if its not perfect because its tied and you cant really tell. Still more or less.

6) I cut out 4x4 inch squares at each corner. Then cut 4 inches strips all around all sides. I used chalk and a yardstick to mark 4 inches in from the edge in a long line (set in 4 from the edge)

7) I cut the fringe of strips by eye. You could measure them if you want to spend a few more hours. I cut them about 1.5 inches wide. I tied strips at each corner as I cut them. Also I moved pins as I cut so that they were in from the end of the fringe.

Cool Then I sat and put a dvd on t.v. and knotted the fringe all around. It didnt take as long as I thought. It was the appliqu that took forever.

It's snuggly and warm. Hard to give up. My daughter slept under it for one night just to make sure it was good! Luckily for Aimee, she's her very best friend.

MegRose

« Last Edit: December 15, 2009 10:22:47 AM by MegRoseSews - Reason: winking face added to subject didn't work right - added actual characters to make » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Stamping
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...