A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 298,758
Currently Running With Scissors:
477 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: AH! what to cook when you're a newlywed with NO time!!!!  (Read 3293 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

liz_loves_tone
« on: December 14, 2009 08:47:44 PM »

HELP ME!!!!!!!
I have been married for almost one year now, and I can almost count the amount of completely homemade meals I've cooked on two hands!! (I know, pathetic) I am working full time and also am going to school full time, so life is HECTIC! I enjoy cooking very much but I don't ever know what to cook! What do you cook when you are crunched on time and money?! Any ideas would be very much appreciated!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pinokeeo

Best of 2013 winner, but this is just as good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009 12:17:24 PM »

Not knowing exactly what types of food you eat, I'll take a stab at this.

Make-ahead meals would be beneficial for your schedule.  Soups and sauces for pasta dishes will freeze well.

There are many websites that have recipes for one-person or two-person meals.  Check here:  http://www.cooks.com/ 
and here:  http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/
and maybe here:  http://www.recipegoldmine.com/

That should get you started.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

liz_loves_tone
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009 02:27:09 PM »

thanks for the idea!! those sites are awesome! finding some yummy stuff Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pinokeeo

Best of 2013 winner, but this is just as good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009 02:41:35 PM »

You're welcome.  Enjoy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Chikita-Elise
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009 05:16:08 PM »

I am very bad at proportions, but if you eat some meat i have an idea for you that I do every time. If you dont eat meat you can replace it with soya beans or tofu or anything you enjoy!).

So you can cut pieces of meat(chiken, beef cubes, porcs, italian saussage anything you feel like) with a lot of veggies(what you have on hand) It is not really expensive and really good and healty. Sometimes I add rice as side dish. So its not time consuming( about 20 to 25 minutes) and its good and yummy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
liz_loves_tone
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2009 09:10:05 PM »

oooh i like that idea!! my husband has gotten sick of pasta and pancakes (haha) and i really want to
start cooking again and that would be simple and easy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
donniesgirl
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2009 01:22:46 PM »

Casseroles & rice dishes are always good, too.  Here are some recipes:

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=310189.0

To save money, I tend to stick to ground meat.  Or if I buy something like chicken or turkey, I'll cook a whole one & freezer save the leftovers in 1 lb increments to use for another recipe. 
« Last Edit: December 26, 2009 01:26:27 PM by donniesgirl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

rossie
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2009 02:34:02 AM »

Lebanese bread (large pita bread) is great for a quick pizza.  Just spread some sauce and whatever pizza toppings you like and stick it under a grill until the cheese melts, which should only take a couple of minutes.   

If you have a sandwich press, you can use lebanese bread to make toasted kebabs.  Put salad/cooked ham or chicken, etc/cheese/sauce, whatever you like, on the bread.  Fold up the bottom and sides like a buritto, and toast it in the press.

Stir fries are fast.  I cheat and buy 1kg bags of frozen, prepared thai-style veggies and divide them into smaller bags to store in the freezer.  If you're using meat/etc, cook it quickly on high heat in a wok (or large pan), add chopped veggies and stir through until they're hot too.  You can add noodles and bottled/packaged sauce if you like.  A really simple sauce made from scratch is chicken stock (or veggie stock) with a little cornstarch to thicken, and a dash of soy added to the dish in the last minutes of cooking.

For a 3 minute pasta sauce, fry a chopped onion with some crushed garlic, pour in a can of crushed tomatoes, a handful of fresh basil and season with salt and pepper.  Done.

Potato soup is fantastic.  Make mashed potatoes.  Finely slice an onion and cook it with some bacon in a pan.  Pour in some chicken stock that, season and let it simmer for a minute.  Put some mash in your bowl, pour over the flavoured stock and you're ready to go.  Some chopped parsely is nice on top too. 

Not sure if you're familiar with scones (the savoury kind), but we make ham and pineapple rolls with scone dough.  Roll the dough into a rectangle, spread on tomato sauce, then sprinkle with chopped ham, pineapple and grated cheese.  Roll it up lengthways and slice.  Pop the slices on a greased or lined tray and bake in a hot oven for about 20 mins.

In warmer weather a salad with tuna added and dressing or mayonnaise makes for a quick meal. 

Omlettes or frittatas are easy and quick.  Sometimes when I'm tired and busy and we're all hungry, scrambled eggs on toast is as good as it gets.

I hope the chaos eases for you soon Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog of fairy tale pretties:  http://summerfaire.com/
linda0989
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2009 07:04:16 PM »

Get yourself a crock pot. I buy a turkey breast (bone in) and sometimes some turkey thighs if you like dark meat and throw them in the crock pot with a little broth. (Bone in gives better flavour) When you get home from work you'll have the turkey all cooked. Make some mashed potatoes or rice, some veggies and you are done. You can find lots of cheap and easy recipes for the crock pot and it will turn less tender cuts of meat into delicious cheap meals. I've made excellent ribs and roasts this way with only doing about 15 minutes of prep work. Make sure you get a crock pot with a programmable time just in case you don't arrive home on time. Good luck!
-Linda 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
so.breathless
Shiny objects...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2010 10:10:31 PM »

My fiance isn't exactly a chef so I do all the cooking. We're completely broke, but I love to cook. One of my favorite things to make in winter is Corned Beef Hash.

To make this I boil a pot of chunked potatoes with some onions, garlic, & Italian seasoning until they start to get soft. Then I drain the water out, mash them up to a lumpy consistency and mix in a can of corned beef. Mash and mix in your meat well, you can add a little milk to make it creamier- I like mine like a thick stew but my mom makes hers a bit more soupy and that is very good too! Let it bubble and mix well on med or so and serve topped with cheddar cheese and a dollop of sour cream. This is my winter staple!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Fold an Origami Bow-Tie
How to Make a Paper Barn Star
How to make an origami bird
How to Make an Origami Fortune Teller
How to Fold an Origami Paper Cup
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...