A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 298,104
Currently Running With Scissors:
748 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Decorating a scraggly tree?  (Read 4269 times)
Tags for this thread: christmas_tree  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

McJulie-O
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2009 06:55:54 AM »

It is lovely in its natural state, and since you know how long it has been cut you'll have a great feel for any brittleness or dryness that needs care.

Lights around the trunk, and gobs of tulle will be beautiful, and I love the suggestions of paper ornaments (I think we have used paper doilies cut into ornaments before, too)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dancedupapillon
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2009 07:31:55 AM »

I think it's refreshing to have an atypical tree! If you don't want the wires for the lights showing too much, I think you should twist the wires with a garland.  I saw a wreath on HGTV that was made with lights and a white feather boa that turned out very pretty.  I bet it would be really nice done with ribbon too, especially if you wound the lights up the trunk and didn't want to detract from its natural shape.

Other than that, I think it would be cool to have the ornaments sitting on top of the branches rather than hanging off them.  The tiers of branches can act like little shelves for a little Christmas village scene or a tiny wooden train set
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jamais sans mes ciseaux.
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2009 01:28:05 PM »

<3 charlie brown trees Smiley  We always had them growing up.   I agree with keeping that one  "au naturel"  with imitaion snow, pine cones and maybe the odd little birdy?  dangle a little star or snowflake from the top, since it droops already. 
I want to see pics when it's all done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

melyssa_marie
so tacky its classy

tattooeddahlia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2009 02:30:59 PM »

i was at my local craft store last night and saw strings of lights done with brown plastic rather than the usual green or white. when i saw it i thought of your tree. maybe you could find some of those near you, it would go better with the "natural" theme so many are suggesting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SimplyFabulous!
My home away from home

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2009 07:38:56 PM »

First I want to say I love that tree!  I see it decorated very early American with popcorn and cranberry garland, pinecones, dried oranges and apples, dried herbs and flowers.  But if that isnt your taste and you want to go more fancy I think the idea of putting the lights in feather boa, like someone else said would be pretty.  Also you could put the lights inside tulle.    We do this for decorations at our church and it is very pretty.  Just don't leave it on when you aren't around, just in case. Would love to see it when you are done.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The most wasted of all days is one without laughter.  -ee cummings
kjlutz
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I am woman watch me grow!

Wherever you've been, He's been there

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2009 08:14:24 PM »

We used to have an artificial tree like this, and one thing we would do is hang very light decorations from the light wires that ran in the gaps.  No idea if this is technically safe or not, just something I grew up doing.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes you get to change the world, and other times the world changes you.

Currently drowning in the sea called PhD.

Interested in swapping for I-Spy Quilt Squares and Scraps.
Pretty Pistol
Pretty Pistol

Doe Raemie

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2009 10:49:55 AM »

we have always wrapped lights up the middle of our trees and never had a problem, even with dry ones.  since its fresh cut you should have no problems as long as you keep it well watered.

i think the lights with the green cords that are usually indoor outdoor lights would work great. id wrap as many branches as i could, as close as possible it would look great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Such a Pretty Pistol
Wildfyre
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2009 11:14:33 AM »

Wow! I can't believe how many replies this has gotten! Thank you all so much for the help  Cheesy

I got the tree lit and then half of the lights died and won't come back on no matter what I do. So I have to wait until this weekend to go buy some new lights for it.

Wrapping them around the trunk really filled it out! I love the ideas for natural decorations and keeping it simple, but I'm not sure that hubby will go for that. He has a ton of childhood ornaments that he's itching to put up  Tongue

We'll see... and I will definitely post pictures when it's done.

Thank you so much! You all rock!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Flickr - bonniemj

My DeviantArt - alaskanwildfyre
hoboe

I'm cute and fluffy!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2009 06:38:49 AM »

I recommend LED lights.  They don't burn hot, so you will have less worries about burning the tree.

My grandma preferred the scraggly trees.  We had our choice of them from their property, so we'd find the most sad looking one.  She used popcorn garland, and handmade ornaments.  She would also cut the pretty part from Christmas cards, hole punch a corner and hang them.  There weren't any LED lights available at the time I lived with them, so she just used regular small Christmas lights, and put them on like garland.  When the lights were on, the wires pretty much disappeared.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
WMA
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2009 06:49:30 AM »

I think the tree is adorable! I love it! I've picked out some scraggly trees in the past and I like the less is more approach...lights and family ornaments from years past. The lights I usually lay on the wider branches and then wrap on the trunk as the branches get too short higher up.

As for the tree catching on fire or something...  The only real worry you need to have is if there is a short in the electrical stuff. So don't overload one outlet or that sort of thing. I'm not sure if you're familiar with the show Mythbusters on Discovery but they did a Holiday special and that was on of the myths they tested (and busted). They kiln dried Xmas trees and put a different type of lights on each (little twinkle lights, LED lights, those big old ones, etc). Then they left them overnight with the lights on (supervised, just in case) and none of them caught fire. When they created a short, the spark caught the tree and it went up in seconds! So be sure to check your wires and don't overload the outlet or powerstrip, etc.

I think you should continue with the scraggly trees for Xmas! The fat, fluffy ones are overrated, lol....and praying mantis egg cases can hide in them really easily, lol!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Chocolate Epiphany with Chef Francois Payard
How to Make Potatoes Au Gratin
How To Make Turkey Stuffing
How to Make Pepper Crusted New York Steak
How to Cook White Beans
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...