A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 300,906
Currently Running With Scissors:
599 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ribbon Belts galore!  (Read 2965 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Nineightohone

Don't make me come over there!

View Profile
« on: April 24, 2005 01:56:16 PM »

Hey folks! I got tired of seeing ribbon belts for 10-20 bucks that I could make myself for 4-5 bucks.

So here they are!  All ribbons are from JoAnn's or Hancock and the D rings are from both places as well. (Dritz 1", set of 4 per package for 1.50)

Instead of killing myself with a sewing machine, I used that iron on fusible stuff in between and just sewed on the D rings and finished the ends with the machine. The only exception is the flower one. for the end of that one, I melted the end to keep it from fraying with a lighter and cut out a flower from the pink to put on the end.  Each one is two-sided and completely reversible, though the backs of all of them are plain grosgrain.  Some of the patterns (the horizontal striped ones) are grosgrain too, but the flowers and plaid aren't, they're just regular ribbon.

Questions? Comments?

Also, while I was on spring break at a Hallmark they were selling ribbon watches-you pick out the face and then the ribbon bands you want to go with it. The bands were 7 bucks each...I bought two at the time, but instead of blowing wads of cash on more, I made ribbon bands to match my belts...so now I'm all coordinated and junk.

I've had more trouble finding polka dot grosgrain if anyone has any ideas...
« Last Edit: April 24, 2005 02:05:36 PM by Nineightohone » THIS ROCKS   Logged

~My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with a girl who saw Ferris pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious.~

Please come see my Etsy shop! www.notjustpurses.etsy.com Thanks Smiley
belleaurora
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2005 02:14:33 PM »

Absolutely adorable!  I was looking for D rings the other day and I couldn't find them... I guess I'll go look harder.  the colors are so cheery!   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
xoTarynxo
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2005 02:25:59 PM »

I love them! I would never be able to think of making a belt instead of buying one. Now I can have belts to match my outfits.  Smiley

xoxo
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pretty-in-pink

Favorite Singer: Ashlee Simpson!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2005 03:42:09 PM »

I looooooooooooooove belts! they are all amazin!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

♥My Ashlee Simpson Site♥
http://groups.msn.com/ashleesworld
mochiko

friendly, absentminded daydreamer ^_^

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2005 04:23:28 PM »

Kiss belts rock! yours are so pretty and professional looking too. so what exactly did you do with the fusible stuff... put one layer in between two layers of ribbon?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Nineightohone

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2005 02:49:14 PM »

Yep, just put the iron fusible stuff between two layers. It's the stuff you use for an "iron on" hem...

I picked two different layers so I could interchange them. I'm thinking of painting on polkadots on the plain sides... who knows.

Regarding the D rings...they're over by buttons and stuff... on the wall by the safety pins, fabric pins, patches, shoulder pads, etc...

They come in many sizes. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with a girl who saw Ferris pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious.~

luvmysoldier86
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2005 03:01:57 PM »

I didn't check to see if anyone has already said this, but if you are having trouble finding polka dot grossgrain, i got some in pink at walmart for really cheap!  i think they had red and blue too!  Just thought I would share.....your belts look great!  i think I may try my hand at it soon:)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Nineightohone

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2005 05:40:31 PM »

Roar. I was just there on Sunday. Why didn't I look?!?!   Cry
THIS ROCKS   Logged

scrappin*gram
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2005 01:50:09 PM »

:)You might try this link for some cute ribbons:  www.theribbongarden.com   I have ordered several times and my items have been shipped quickly and there is a nice selection. Hope this helps! 

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Nineightohone

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2005 06:59:20 AM »

By the way, I was at Hancock (I think it was that one!) and they now have ribbon belt kits. I haven't taken pictures of the few I have made but they come as a complete kid, including D rings. They end up about 1 1/2 inches wide or so-you attach a piece of ribbon to a strapping material (think seatbelt). The only problem is that if you're much bigger than skinny, they don't give you enough material to get it around you!!!

By skinny, I mean if you wear more than say, a size 8/10 in pants.

I don't have the exact distance "around" they are at the moment.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Creole Brown Roux Part 5/5
How to Make Creole Brown Roux Part 3/5
How to Make Creole Brown Roux Part 2/5
How to Make Creole Brown Roux Part 1/5
How to Make Homemade Jambalaya
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...