A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,132
Currently Running With Scissors:
423 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: sea monster linocut progress shots and some linocut tips  (Read 2651 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

saintvier
« on: December 14, 2009 12:12:52 AM »

So I already posted some pictures of the finished print in my last post, but I just found all these WIP shots I took and thought they deserved a thread of their own.

To prepare my linoleum I sanded it with a very fine grade of sandpaper to get rid of any tiny nicks and to take the sharpness off the edges so they wouldn't cut the felts on the press. I then stained it with a mixture of etching inks and mineral spirits so there'd be a larger contrast between areas I'd cut away and areas I hadn't. I used red--it gives just the barest tinge of color to the block.

My original drawing. You can see I didn't take the time to fully plan it out before I started printing, which caused me some headaches later on!

And the back of the drawing, where I traced the image using a light table once I remembered my image would be reversed when printed.

The missing steps here are of me tracing the drawing yet again with a transfer sheet between it and my linoleum, and then going over parts of that drawing with marker so it showed up better/didn't smear, and so that I wouldn't get confused about what I was supposed to carve away and what was supposed to stay.

I've just started carving my plate here--you can see I got lazy about filling in with markers.

An action shot of my bench hook, which keeps the block from sliding away while you're carving, and all of my tools. I had a Speedball tool and a fancy German tool. I used my Speedball most, because it had the smallest and sharpest tip, but the German tool was pretty nice.

A later shot of my plate. I used a wide-tipped marker (in this case, a Prismacolor) to lightly go over the plate in areas after I carved so I could see where ink would go and adjust as necessary.

And a picture of the resultant print.

ETA: I meant to put that if anyone has any questions about the process, feel free to ask!
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009 12:24:49 AM by saintvier » THIS ROCKS   Logged
HandicraftTreasures
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009 03:48:14 AM »

This looks amazing. Interesting to have a look at the various stages of your work. I just bought a book about different printing methods and I will definitely try out carving linoleum.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
darkladymajesta
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009 09:36:27 AM »

I did something like this a long time ago (and not nearly as cool or complicated!) Love it Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lindsayeris
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010 02:25:38 PM »

Is it linoleum like a piece of tile?  Like from Home Depot?  A-maze-ing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Blondes Vs. Brunettes
Runway Hair Curling Tips
How to Make a Modern French Twist Hairstyle
How to Create a Classic French Twist Hairstyle
How to Create Futuristic Hairstyles
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...