A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 296,663
Currently Running With Scissors:
576 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Mariner's Compass Table  (Read 2155 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

SkyyAngel
« on: December 13, 2009 09:01:15 PM »

So, a couple of years ago my husband and I snagged this dining room table for free. I liked the simplistic lines of it and from the minute we got it home, I knew I would sand it down to restain it. The previous owners had done lord only knows what with it and there was some rather gross black stains. I bleached the hell out of it so the thing was clean to eat off of, just gross looking. It was mostly just counter space in our small kitchen in Italy and when used as a dining table, covered in a tablecloth.

We finally made it back to the States and I just knew it needed to be "fixed". I finished this project back in August but didn't post because I wanted to assemble the damn thing (legs are still not attached) before posting. Well, that's still not done (our dining room is currently housing an Italian couch and a dresser that we're trying to get rid of), so I figure I will post it anyways.

Here's a teaser photo before I get into the nitty gritty:

Here's the nasty looking (and boring ho hum) before shots:

Kinda looks like every other dining room table in the world right? Well, I knew it could be fabulous.

Here it is after we sanded it down.

You can still see the stains but after I stain it, you can only see them if you REALLLLLLY look for them. So much better!!

In a happy mistake, we didn't get all of the glossy finish off so the stain was resisted in spots. I love it, it looks even more antique-y and used. I also beat it to death with all sorts of things (hammer, wrench, even poked nail holes in) to make it even more "used".

And then... the piece de resistance!! My 3 day gold-leafing project. I was loosely inspired by the cross-stitch piece at Dracolair Creations: http://www.dracolair.com/compassrose.html I've always wanted a compass rose SOMETHING in my house and eventually have grandiose plans of putting an inlay into a wooden floor at the entryway of whichever house we end up owning, but for now, my table will do.

C & C always welcome and appreciated!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
raeraethejetplane
Take me out 2 the black Tell them I aint comin back

RIP Blue kitty Jan. 1994 - April 2010

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2009 09:21:13 PM »

This is amazing! You should be very proud of yourself.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mwyn
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009 09:24:03 PM »

Absolutely Gorgeousssssss.  I've got an old table....hummmmmm. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

One who works with his hands is a labourer; with hands & head, a craftsman, with hands, head & heart; an artist.
grendelsmom
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009 05:04:31 AM »

WOW!  This is gorgeous!  Did you use about 8 coats of urethane on top?  Did you make a stencil for the compass or freehand it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SkyyAngel
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009 05:31:54 AM »

WOW!  This is gorgeous!  Did you use about 8 coats of urethane on top?  Did you make a stencil for the compass or freehand it?

I think there are only 6 coats of poly on it. I started with a spray that was horrid before I switched to the brush on kind. I freehanded the compass and lines although I did use a large ruler to help me out with the guidelines I drew in pencil beforehand. When I painted on the glue for the leafing that was freehand just following the guidelines... which is why they're so wobbly in places.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pacman07
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2009 10:44:38 AM »

Amazing table i never see like that before, you did a great job. How many coats you paints in your table where did you get that design? Look like you are a professional painter the design of your table is totally unique design. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SkyyAngel
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2009 04:15:17 PM »

No paint was used. I did 2 coats of stain (Jacobean - a really dark brown) and the design is done in gold-leaf. Then I covered in about 6 coats of polyurethane.

Thanks for all the kind words. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Prepare Tsukemono
How to Cook Vegetable Tempura
How to Cook Tarka Dal
How to Prepare a Sweet Lassi
How to Cook Pad Kaprow Koong
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...