A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 304,865
Currently Running With Scissors:
665 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What do you say when people ask, did you knit that yourself?  (Read 1994 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

chutzpaw
ravelry and etsy id: KellyRenee77

View Profile
« on: December 13, 2009 04:19:26 PM »

I've only been crocheting less than a year, and I've had several people see me wearing a hat or scarf and say, "oh that's cute, did you knit it yourself?"  I'm curious if others have this happen and what you say.  I've noticed if I say, "well I crocheted it myself" then they ask "what's the difference?"  And you know, if you're not doing it, just a bystander looking at a finished scarf, there really isn't much difference. 

If it was a friend or fellow crafty person, I would say it was crocheted, and be happy to explain the difference if they asked.  For strangers or casual aquaintences just commenting they like my scarf, I think I'll just say "yes I did, thanks!"

What do my fellow crafsters say?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2009 04:43:07 PM »

I'd say, "I did make it myself; it's crocheted, though."  And if they ask what the difference is, I'd say, "Well, they are similar crafts, but they use a different technique" and leave it at that.  If they actually are curious to know the difference they'll likely ask you... or look it up on wikipedia when they get home. ^_^

If you don't want to do that, maybe say, "yes, I did make it myself, thanks!"  That way you won't feel bad about admitting to knitting something you didn't. ^_-
THIS ROCKS   Logged

niczilla

www.niczilla.etsy.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009 09:59:47 PM »

i'm usually like, "noooo! it's crocheted! Sad"
and when they ask what the difference is, i just say, "crocheting is with 1 hook and knitting is with 2 needles".
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shannonkay
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009 01:54:08 PM »

I just say "Thank you. It's actually crocheted." or something similar. I've never encountered anyone asking what the difference was though. Most people seem to have at least some idea of what crochet is compared to knitting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

HappiLeigh
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009 06:44:03 PM »

I just nod and smile.  It really feels awkward to me when people *see* me crocheting  and make comments about my "knitting."  Because I sort of understand not being able to identify the final products (if you aren't a knitter or crocheter), but I feel like most people can tell the difference between a person holding two needles versus one hook??
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Old Lace
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2009 11:28:31 PM »

"Why thankyou, I actually crocheted it." That's what I'd say if someone mistook it for knitting, but usually people who ask me already know the difference.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2009 02:22:37 AM »

At my very first crochet guild meeting one of the ladies asked another why I was knitting.  I wasn't, but the woman she asked was!

So, I guess it's easier to make that mistake than we thought. lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mollyknight
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2009 05:40:52 AM »

I'll usually just say that I did make it and leave it at that, unless I know the person and I'll mention it's crocheted.

My boyfriend is constantly referring to my "knitting" ARRRGH  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
chutzpaw
ravelry and etsy id: KellyRenee77

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2009 06:32:18 AM »

I'll usually just say that I did make it and leave it at that, unless I know the person and I'll mention it's crocheted.

My boyfriend is constantly referring to my "knitting" ARRRGH  Tongue

Kitty has decided my yarn box makes an excellent bed and every time my mom visits she says "awww, you're so cute in the knitting box!" but I don't let it bother me.

I try to remember how irritated I get when guys try to correct me on some stupid sports thing I don't care about.  (I don't care if it's quarters in basketball and halfs in football!  What I want to know is whether the game is almost over!!) 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
superspork
figment of your imagination

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2009 10:02:50 PM »

You guys are really nice about it all. Every time someone asks me what I'm knitting I'll tell them I don't know how to knit. There are a lot of people who knit at my university, so it's a pretty common question when I'm around them, from people who do neither. But if I'm on the way to class on the bus, people tend to ask what i'm making rather than knitting/crocheting. That said, I felt extremely awkward when of the kids who knits and knows I crochet complemented me for a hat I didn't make... I said thanks because I thought he was referring merely to the awesomeness of the hat and therefore the awesomeness of me for wearing the hat, and not to the fact that I was responsible for making the awesomeness of the hat... until it was too late to take it back... Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create an Animated GIF Using Photoshop
Before and After: Outdoor Portrait
How to Spot a Retouched Photo
How to Draw a Cockroach
How to Increase Company Creative Capability
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...