A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,544
Currently Running With Scissors:
682 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Extravagantly Cozy Smocked Pillowcase & Quilt  (Read 2606 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

SkyyAngel
« on: December 13, 2009 10:29:21 AM »

A few weeks ago I fell in love with this comforter bedset I saw in my Soft Surroundings catalog... but at $288 for just the QUILT, there's no way I can afford it. So, I filed it away under "things to buy when I'm rich" and pretty much forgot about it.

Now I'm starting to pack up stuff for going back to school (been 4 years since I've been a full-time student and 10 since I've had to live in dorms) and I've been trying to grab things from around the house that my husband can do without for 6-8 months while I finish my degree (he's staying here...  Embarrassed ) but I hit a small snag on bedding. I don't know how my mind works sometimes as far as getting from Point A to Point B but somewhere along the line, I decided to try my hand at making this quilt. I knew I wanted it to be at least Queen size to be able to fit our bed when it's done and obviously fit a twin bed in the dorms (I'm all for buying/making things that are in it for the long haul).

Another snag... no money for fabric.  Sad  BUUUUTT, we have several sets of sheets that are now unusable for our bed. 2 sets of this gorgeous and soft Cotton/Modal blend that's some ridiculously high thread count. One set is a full size and therefore doesn't even fit our bed and the other set is a queen but my husband got a nosebleed on it one night and then washed it in cold water so now the stain is set... lovely.   Roll Eyes We also have a set of brown full-sized sheets I sent to my husband when he was deployed... again with some ridiculous thread count because I wanted my baby a little spoiled while he was in the sandy, hot place.  Cool  Bonus that my school's colors are gold, brown and black.

So 3 fitted sheets (2 full and 1 queen), 3 flat sheets (2 full and 1 queen) and 2 standard pillowcases later and I have 1 quilt and 1 pillowcase. Hah. Things don't usually add up like that... 3+3+2 = 2.   Cheesy

I'm still in the process of making the "quilt" (which I'm not sure I really want to consider quilted because it's basically just hand-tied) but I wanted to post photos of my pillowcase. I'm so in <3 with it. I have one of those oddly-shaped neck support pillows so that's why this looks a little odd, plus my sewing machine is in serious need of a professional cleaning/tune-up so some of my seams are wonky up-close but it's really not that noticeable.

Anyway... enough rambling, on with the pics!!

Before I added the back:

And before I did the smocking:

I can't wait to finish the quilt and post photos of my craftily decorated dorm room next month too.  Grin
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009 10:31:19 AM by SkyyAngel » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Avi
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2009 10:36:31 AM »

Ooo I fell in love with the same one! The BF said hells no...which I agree to the price. Didn't even think to make it, yours looks awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LiveLongandCraft
Formerly williarl13

Boldly going where others have probably been.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009 05:36:05 PM »

You did a really great job of re-creating the look! Good luck with school! I couldn't stand to be away from my husband for that long, so I think you are very brave!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Man is born free and everywhere he is in chains" - Jean Jacques Rousseau

"This book doesn't have any answers!" - The Simpsons Movie

http://www.wists.com/LiveLongandCraft
pacman07
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009 10:11:29 AM »

Looks like you are a good sewer and you did a clean job. The color is beautiful and feel comfortable you did a great job.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jennique
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009 04:30:13 PM »

This is absolutely beautiful!! I know know what I style I am going to make our bed set in when we get the new house. I took a look at the comforter and I know it will look fabulous when you are done. Good luck!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~~jenny
SkyyAngel
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2010 12:17:57 PM »

Thanks everyone! I was hoping to have the comforter done by now (leaving in less than a week for school), but my sewing machine has bit the big one. I can't get it to sew a single stitch. (insert much tears and QQing here) I'm so very sad. I just broke 2 needles and came close to throwing the damn thing out the window. I know it's my fault. It's needed a proper cleaning/tune-up for a few months now, I just thought I could eke this one project out of it before I left for school. I guess not. Sad

I'm contemplating "starting over" and doing the smocking and whatnot by hand, then taking it to school with me and seeing if I can borrow one of the university's sewing machines (they have a nice sized fashion design program) to finish it up with the batting and backing and all that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jennique
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2010 02:47:15 PM »

Theres a ton of info in the "Sewing in General" board about things that can go wrong with sewing machines and how to fix those problems so you should try doing some troubleshooting! If your needle is breaking when you try to sew it might be a problem with the bobbin case or maybe you needle isnt sitting right and is hitting the plate.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~~jenny
SkyyAngel
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2010 03:19:53 PM »

Thanks Jennique. I got a little fed up and was QQing to the husband about it and said, "I just wanted this one thing done..." and he wasn't really paying much attention and said something along the lines of "well, we can't always get what we want". So that pissed me off... lol. I took some screwdrivers to it, opened it up, sprayed the crap out of it with a can of air (omg, soooo much dust and fabric bits), took out the bobbin assembly and wiped it down, sprayed some more air... it's working passably again. Still sounds rough though. But hey, it's a Wal-Mart $60 special from like 8 years ago... I can't expect too much out of it without a professional job. I still have to do the smocking by hand, so once I finish that I'm sure the machine can at least handle sewing on the backing... then I can hand-tie in spots.

I'll be okay... I just needed to whine a bit and kick my own ass a little.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2010 03:20:41 PM by SkyyAngel » THIS ROCKS   Logged
LaSpanWegianYa
A Paradoxical Persona

Blue of any shade or hue...thats my color!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2010 06:21:12 PM »

This is beautiful! It's so elegant.  Good job. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Love Life~
Crafting Makes Life Fun - if not a little CrAzY!
www.astepbysteph.blogspot.com
Linnybelle
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2010 06:23:36 PM »

That is gorgeous.  It looks very luxurious and so pretty.  It will surely make your dorm room seem a lot more cozy.  What a fantastic piece.

Sorry to hear about your sewing machine.  I hope you can finish the quilt.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking for postcards from anywhere to use for RSVP cards for my 8/2012 wedding.  Have 80/200.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Granny Square Blanket Part 11/16
How to Crochet a Granny Square Blanket Part 14/16
How to Crochet a Granny Square Blanket Part 10/16
How to Crochet a Flower Part 3/11
How to Crochet a Flower Part 7/11
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...