A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,132
Currently Running With Scissors:
360 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Mini tutorial: how to get a toasty baked look on clay sweets  (Read 5146 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ochamelon
« on: December 13, 2009 05:28:54 AM »

Recently a few people have asked me how to get the brown baked look on clay foods. I've decided to upload a tutorial here because when I googled the topic I didn't find that many easily available tutorials. Anyway i'm sorry if i'm putting up something everyone already knows, but since people have asked i'll assume it's still a super classified secret.

There are a few ways to get the baked brown look but I think the easiest and least messy way is by use of soft pastels.

1. This is a 'raw' waffle, waiting to be toasted/ironed into golden brown perfection.

2. Get a piece of brown pastel and rub it on a piece of paper until you get some powder off it. Pick up some pigment with a little paintbrush.

3. (Sorry for the blurry picture - can't take pictures with one hand!) Lightly brush your brown pastel on your waffle. I suggest you start off with a little pigment and build up if you don't think it's brown enough. Also raised parts will pick up more pigment and look darker - keep that in mind.

4. And that's all there is to it! You probably don't want a chunk of pastel in your waffle like mine does though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sweets deco and mini sweet tutorials: http://hikaria.wordpress.com
My Flickr and my Etsy.
cherry_blossom55
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2009 07:23:44 AM »

it's so simple it's brilliant! I've been wondering at this super top secret effect for a long time lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

schnerby
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009 07:49:55 AM »

You probably don't want a chunk of pastel in your waffle like mine does though.

Why not? It's both delicious and nutritious.

(go to bed and stop drinking beer you silly, silly person. Make a comment about how this is so logical but you never would have thought of it on your own, then go to bed)

Uh, this is so logical but I never would have thought of it on my own. I'm going to bed now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The Sketchbook Project 2012 My theme: Hope

I have hundreds of purple buttons (a few different styles). Personal swap?
jadedsurrealism
Proud Servant to the Prince of Moogs

did you see the size of that chicken?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2009 08:28:47 AM »

You know, I've been wondering about this for a LONG time!  I should have known it was something so easy!  THANK YOU THANK YOU Thank you!!!  I'm off to Utrects to buy some pastels Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Misti
ochamelon
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2009 11:47:37 PM »

it's so simple it's brilliant! I've been wondering at this super top secret effect for a long time lol
I wondered for a really long time too! This and how to mix dough coloured clay - you should've seen me the day I figured it out I was so happy everyone thought I went insane.

Why not? It's both delicious and nutritious.

(go to bed and stop drinking beer you silly, silly person. Make a comment about how this is so logical but you never would have thought of it on your own, then go to bed)

Uh, this is so logical but I never would have thought of it on my own. I'm going to bed now.
Alcohol: a never ending source of humour  Cheesy. Your comment made me chuckle hehe.

You know, I've been wondering about this for a LONG time!  I should have known it was something so easy!  THANK YOU THANK YOU Thank you!!!  I'm off to Utrects to buy some pastels Cheesy

Lol it's ok! I'm very, very glad to help! I really love making tutes for things - weird hobby of mine!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Flickr and my Etsy.
pinokeeo

Best of 2013 winner, but this is just as good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2009 03:07:25 PM »

And to think that all this time I already had what I needed to do this.  D'oh.

Thanks for the mini-tute.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ahhbee
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2009 02:38:44 AM »

When I clicked on this I was thinking "oh no, go on tell me SOMETHING ELSE I need to buy." Which always happens because the more crafting stuff you buy the more you realise you need to buy!
This is SO nifty and I am super, super happy that I have pastels in my house and that this is such a simple and effective method.
Thank you, you little genious you! xoxo
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ochamelon
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2009 02:47:46 AM »

And to think that all this time I already had what I needed to do this.  D'oh.

Thanks for the mini-tute.
It's ok, I was kicking myself when I saw how simple it was too. Before I tried to paint the look on and I am definitely no artist!

When I clicked on this I was thinking "oh no, go on tell me SOMETHING ELSE I need to buy." Which always happens because the more crafting stuff you buy the more you realise you need to buy!
This is SO nifty and I am super, super happy that I have pastels in my house and that this is such a simple and effective method.
Thank you, you little genious you! xoxo
Thank you so much, I'm really flattered to be called a genius  Cheesy.
I know exactly what you mean! Actually this forum is terrible in terms of money saving because I'm always finding things I can buy or I should buy to create some new effect.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Flickr and my Etsy.
littlemiss83
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2009 02:53:39 PM »

Instead of soft pastels i use oil ones, you just have to rub the bristles of the paint brush on the pastel and then brush on the clay. Smiley
I saw how to do the method with the soft pastels in the Polymer clay cookbook
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ochamelon
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2009 02:41:03 AM »

Instead of soft pastels i use oil ones, you just have to rub the bristles of the paint brush on the pastel and then brush on the clay. Smiley
I saw how to do the method with the soft pastels in the Polymer clay cookbook

Oooh I never thought of that! I do have some oil pastels lying around going to waste... thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Flickr and my Etsy.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Octavia Butler Managed to Humanize Science Fiction
Alice Walker: The Mysterious Wonder of Life
Alexandra Horowitz Talks About On Looking: Eleven Walks with Expert Eyes
Santa Montefiore Discusses Her Novel The Woman from Paris
A Trailer for Shadow Creek by Joy Fielding
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...