A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 296,726
Currently Running With Scissors:
573 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Would you pay $20 for this?  (Read 2877 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sparkling_gem1987
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2010 12:26:31 AM »

I think one thing you have going for you is that your pieces truly stand out, which might allow you to raise the prices a little more. I agree with morglanc - it's something that I see and really want, but I don't wear hair pieces enough to justify buying it. That's really a personal thing though. I like the idea of offering simpler pieces, but you should probably keep several of the more intricate pieces in stock.

I can definitely understand where you're coming from. It's just like you say, how much a person is willing to pay for an item is really personal and that's why I don't feel overly discouraged. But I definitely want to also offer pieces that are more price friendly, and that's why I plan to offer simplier pieces along with the intricate pieces as well. Thank you so much for your input, it's really helpful to read other people opinions and feedback Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shadowstealer
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2010 03:31:18 AM »

I Adore thouse, and personally I would pay more than 20$ for a pair. For dance Id love a whole buch of them for my hair, There waaay nicer than the fake flowers that are in vogue in the tribal bellydance world.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sparkling_gem1987
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2010 05:00:37 PM »

I Adore thouse, and personally I would pay more than 20$ for a pair. For dance Id love a whole buch of them for my hair, There waaay nicer than the fake flowers that are in vogue in the tribal bellydance world.

Aww thank you very much! ^__^ I'm really happy to hear that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

digital misfit

crazy doesn't begin to cover it!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2010 07:40:14 AM »

Your kanzashi is beautiful, and definitely worth more than $20. 
Don't sell yourself short.  A very low price makes some people think it is of a cheap quality.
Right now is the time to make some in wedding whites, and maybe some of the smaller bobby pin size offered in "bridesmaid sets" (if you sell online)  Kanzashi is an art that not everyone can do (myself included), so that makes it more appealing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my blog to read my rambling, get free hand embroidery patterns, and even enter giveaways from time to time! http://myhidingplaceincyberspace.blogspot.com
sparkling_gem1987
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2010 01:22:49 AM »

Your kanzashi is beautiful, and definitely worth more than $20. 
Don't sell yourself short.  A very low price makes some people think it is of a cheap quality.
Right now is the time to make some in wedding whites, and maybe some of the smaller bobby pin size offered in "bridesmaid sets" (if you sell online)  Kanzashi is an art that not everyone can do (myself included), so that makes it more appealing.

Thank you for the advice about starting to make wedding kanzashi's Smiley And you're absolutely right about the price reflecting the quality, it is something I also learnt while studying marketing but it's so hard to put it into practice when you're so emotionally involved in the process. But I will force myself to keep it in mind ^__^

Again, thank you so much for the insight!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

itscribe
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2010 01:12:40 PM »

I clicked the link expecting to see yet another piece that was ho humm. WOWZA was I wrong! It's beautiful, it's unique and it's certainly worth $20. Heck folks are stringing a few glass beads and think it's worth $100 for goodness sakes.

You have to change your mindset from "aw, gee, shucks I made this thing what do you think it's worth?" to "I am an artisan selling wearable art!"

It might reduce your potential market a bit but I would suggest you try to promote yourself as a wedding/prom/special events jewelry designer. Trust me when I say that I've seen some pretty sub-par wedding items being put on offer and actually selling. What you are making is so very lovely and unlike anything I've already seen - truly worthy of a bride.

Are there any boutique lady's clothing stores near you? You might want to see if they would carry your pieces. Just be careful to research first and make sure that you have everything in writing.

A quick search on Etsy would tell me that $20 for that piece is way too low!

I think you have found something that should be priced on artistic value rather than supplies or time invested. Go for it! Maybe you've found a new career.

p.s. I just looked at some more of your work. Wow, wow, wow. Love the purple and white flower!

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sparkling_gem1987
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2010 04:07:27 AM »

itscribe: Your comments and encouragements brought a smile to my face and really made my day, thank you Cheesy In regards to marketing myself specifically to weddings and special occasions, I've also been thinking the same thing. Where I live there isn't really any boutique lady's clothing stores so I need to work out how to go about targeting my market ^__^

Again, thanks for your input!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

itscribe
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2010 09:44:09 AM »

Since I posted I looked around a bit more. While there are quite a few folks making the standard 5-6 petal flowers, very few folks are working at the size that you are. As a crocheter I know the smaller you go the more fussy it is to make something.

Best wishes and good luck in your new endeavor.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sparkling_gem1987
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2010 05:43:24 AM »

Since I posted I looked around a bit more. While there are quite a few folks making the standard 5-6 petal flowers, very few folks are working at the size that you are. As a crocheter I know the smaller you go the more fussy it is to make something.

Best wishes and good luck in your new endeavor.

Thank you Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Digital Camera Tips: Lens Aperture Relationship
Panasonic DMC-LX3: Set White Balance Function
Panasonic DMC-LX3: Set Timer Function
Panasonic DMC-LX3: Set Spot Meter Function
Panasonic DMC-LX3: Set Shutter Priority (S) Function
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...