A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,706
Currently Running With Scissors:
613 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: May Your Purse Always Hold a Coin or Two - Summer Quilt #3 with updated pictures  (Read 2356 times)
Tags for this thread: quilt , quilted , free_motion_quilting , stacked_coins  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

~*Craftster formerly known as jennieingram*~

I really need a Sonic Seam Ripper.

View Profile WWW
« on: June 26, 2009 09:32:49 AM »

Let me preface this by saying that this summer I have to make 8 quilts.  Yes, 8.  I have 4 cousins and 3 very close friends, all getting married, and my brother and his wife are having their first baby.  Each of the cousins asked specifically for one of my quilts, then called my mother to further beg for one.  
The three close friends were my roommates in graduate school, two of whom are getting married this summer, and one of whom got married already, but life and circumstance kept me from getting to her present yet.  So, if I make quilts for the two that are getting married now, I can't not bring a gift to the one who is already married.  So, 8 it is.

This quilt is for Becca and Bobby, who have been together for several years now.  I picked out the stacked coins pattern for them, and started making the quilt out of only scraps of yellow and gold fabrics.  I think I asked for sashing suggestions here on craftster at one point.  The mottled green seemed to lend itself nicely to the golds, so I decided to name it after part of my favorite Irish blessing:
May Your Purse Always Hold a Coin or Two

The whole thing, held up by loving husband:

a good shot color-wise of the quilt:

a good shot of the free motion quilting:

I think the green binding is a lot less jarring to look at...

You can find the rest of the summer's quilts here:
The Girl With Kaleidoscope Eyes - Quilt #1
May A Rainbow Be Certain to Follow Each Rain - Quilt #2
Summer On the Cape -  Quilt #4
Butterfly Babies - Quilt #5
The Woods Are Lovely Dark and Deep - Quilt #6
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009 07:56:31 AM by jennieingram - Reason: updating new pictures » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie's Etsy | Facebook | Pinterest | Harry Potter Craftalong

It does not due to dwell on dreams and forget to craft.
Feast Your Eyes
People are entitled to their hobbies, and I'm entitled to think those people are creepy. - Raylan Givens, Justified

Serial Craft Dabbler

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009 05:13:59 AM »

I can't believe this has no comments yet! It is beautiful! I really like the color gradation.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Honored to be a J&T Featured Member

Vintage sewing patterns and unique jewelry at
Sinners' Feast
edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009 06:25:48 AM »

Oh my can I be your cousin/friend too. I have looked at all the quilts and they are fabulous. I love these coin quilts though, I am thinking of doing one of them next.

i think my favourite is 'May A Rainbow Be Certain to Follow Each Rain ' reminds me of that Dire straits song. sunshine after rain. OK youtube tells me its called 'why worry' http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgucSXRhpjk&feature=related

What do you use for wadding? and do you quilt them on a regular machine (please say yes as its all I have to work with..lol)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

~*Craftster formerly known as jennieingram*~

I really need a Sonic Seam Ripper.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009 08:30:07 AM »

Thanks for the comments ladies!  It reminded me that I never bothered to post new pictures of this quilt...  You see, the closer I got to attending that wedding in August, the more annoyed I got with the quilt.  I had taught myself to do free motion machine quilting AFTER completing this one, and thought it would look a lot better if I had done it on this one.  I also really didn't care for the backing, or the binding color...  So a week before the wedding I took the whole thing apart!

I found a new backing in a color I liked better, and bound it in the dark green of the border instead, then I free motion quilted the whole thing!  I had a terrible cold, and was sewing slowly when I re-bound it, so I actually ended up sewing for hours in the car on the ride to Chicago, and even in the hotel room!  That's why the final picture is my husband holding it up on a giant bed!

As for your question edelC, I vary what I use for batting.  Sometimes I use bed blankets (but Walmart stopped selling my favorite ones, which were just the right thickness and cheap), but for this batch I used polar fleece that I had pre-washed and dried.  I actually bought this hideous print of bright green with soccer balls all over it, in the clearance section for $2 a yard, making the cost per quilt about $4 for batting.  (Actual quilt batting is close to the same in composition, but costs MUCH more.)  I have played with the new bamboo batting a little bit, and do like the hand it gives quilted fabrics, but I was very broke this summer, and couldn't justify how much it would have cost.  
And yes, I did quilt it on my "regular" machine... but my regular machine is a Viking embroidery machine that sews like a hot knife through butter.  I didn't have a Walking Foot for it, but after doing a bit of research and checking out the "Oh, Fransson!" blog, I discovered that I could try turning off my feed dog teeth, then using the embroidery foot that came with my machine in place of a Walking Foot, with similar results.

Check out http://www.ohfransson.com/ for lots of awesome ideas, and then check out her quilt-along for amazing step-by-step help with free motion quilting: http://www.ohfransson.com/oh_fransson/quiltalong.html
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009 07:57:15 AM by jennieingram - Reason: removed pictures because I put them in the original post » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie's Etsy | Facebook | Pinterest | Harry Potter Craftalong

It does not due to dwell on dreams and forget to craft.
edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2009 11:51:10 AM »

thanks for that. I have just a regular (cheap) sewing machine and it is not so co-operative. Works fine for regular stuff, but even simple quilting is a struggle, getting so much fabric through the machine!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009 12:36:03 PM »

wow that ohfransson site is amazing, the quilt along fabulous. I am so tempted to give it a go.

this is a great video on how to baste a quilt, while sitting on a chair at a table and keeping everything straight...looks much kinder to my back
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Scientific Quilter
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2009 02:09:28 AM »

I love the colors in this coin quilt.  Makes me think of money and coins, but in a really soft pleasing sort of way.  I also like your coin quilt of the woods, as well as the rainbow quilt.  Awesome job getting so much quilting done in such a short time.  And I do agree that the green binding works better, although I didn't notice how much the binding was distracting until you brought it up, and either would have been wonderful!  Great work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Starting a blog / podcast at http://scientificquilter.wordpress.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
New York Style For Men
What Jeans to Buy in New York
How to Dress Casual Yet Chic
How to Shop Soho Street Vendors
How to Add Style to Summer Outfits
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...