A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 301,491
Currently Running With Scissors:
751 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Amigurumi Faces  (Read 1527 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

shannonkay
« on: December 11, 2009 11:29:39 PM »

Last night I made all the pieces for my first plush/amigurumi animal and now I need to put it all together.

I've googled and searched around but I didn't see any really helpful information.

Most faces are at least partly embroidered it seems. I did learn to embroider "properly" as a child by making a burp cloth for my new cousin which I never finished(He's 16 now.) so in theory I know the basics, but there are some particulars I'm not sure about.

Do you embroider with embroidery floss or with yarn?

Do you use a yarn needle like the one you put the body parts together with, or an embroidery needle?

Do you put your needle through the holes in the crochet? between the stitches? just between the pieces of yarn? Or do you stick your needle through a piece of yarn?

These mysteries and any other tips would be much appreciated!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kirsa
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2009 10:29:32 AM »

I like to use an embroidery or darning needle with a sharp point on it.  I've used a yarn needle before, but then you're forced to place the facial features so that the lines all end in holes between the yarn.  I've found that generally doesn't give me quite the flexibility of expression that I'd like, so I've switched to using sharp needles that I can poke in wherever I want them to be.  I actually kind of like poking it through the middle of at least one strand of yarn, since I tend to pull my embroidery too tight and when I do that when it goes through a hole it stretches the hole out and makes it big and noticeable.  That's just a personal embroidery failing though.  Wink

You can use yarn or embroidery floss, whatever you'd like.  I use normal worsted weight yarn when I want fat lines or big knots, and embroidery floss when I want thinner lines or more detailed features.  Lighter weight yarns could also be used for more detailed features and thin lines, embroidery floss is just cheaper for the small amounts I generally need.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TroubleT
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

No try, just do.

I'm the Irish Latina Ninja!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009 12:38:15 PM »

I prefer embroider thread with a darning needle too. I've found that I can't get the desired look too well using yarn or a different type of needle.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SomethingSweet
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2009 05:15:48 PM »

I embroidered a face on a bunny once, and after ripping it off and starting over about 20 times (no exaggerating!) what worked out the best for me was:
Material: DMC floss, 4 strands (with appropriate cross-stitching needle)
Method: for an eye, for example, that you want to be one sc wide - if you try to just make it over one sc, when you pull it tight, it just squishes that sc and makes a hole on either side where you can see the stuffing.  So you have to have the left edge of the eye in the middle of one sc, and then put the needle in to the middle of the next sc over to make the right edge.  I made the eyes as hexagons to have them view as circles (diagram below), starting in the middle and then making one trapezoid above the middle line and then one trapezoid below. 

Embroidering onto crochet is definitely harder than onto fabric!

eye shape:
 ___
/     \
\___/

My bunny was made out of worsted weight yarn, and here he is, too, if you want to look at him: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=257279.msg2874603#msg2874603
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009 05:19:45 PM by SomethingSweet » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Marikit
>^o^< meow

>^o^<

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2009 06:07:14 PM »

I usually do this with yarn needle/ embroidery needle and #10 Crochet thread. ITs thick enough so i dont have to put 4 strands of floss together and holds up really well in crochet projects. Hmm.. I should  really experiment other styles..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dream it. Want it. Feel it. It's real.

m a r i k i t
shannonkay
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2009 12:00:59 PM »

Thanks guys, I decided to go with embroidery floss and embroidery needle. I looked up a few stitch definitions and when I tried it it felt familiar.

Here's my kitty face.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Melissa Anelli Talks About Harry, A History
Stephanie McClellan and Beth Hamilton Talk About So Stressed
Illustrator Marla Frazee Shows You All the World
Sam McLeod Talks About Big Appetite
Fans of the Pendragon Series Talk About Favorite Characters and Scenes
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Mirror Wall
January 21, 2015 Featured Projects
January 21st is Squirrel Appreciation Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...