A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 302,593
Currently Running With Scissors:
761 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: 10 y.o. boy with a past...what do I make for him for xmas? please halp.  (Read 1391 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

BadWolf

cassettetape--->BadWolf

View Profile
« on: December 11, 2009 07:24:37 PM »

I'm doing a mostly handmade Christmas and I am stumped on ONE person. My fiance's brother's wife's son...I think he is 10. He is a trouble maker, show off, a bit of a little thief, and he gets yelled at alot and his biological father is recently out of the picture. I want to make him something, but I don't know what. Last yea I got by with making a drawstring bag with candy and a little book of The Night before Christmas. Despite the fact that he is a brat he seems to like me, so I want to cultivate a reason to respect others thing here.

I don't know what his interests are, but is there any slightly generic gift that would be good for a boy like this? His older sister is getting either earrings or a t-shirt scarf. HALP!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My username has changed from cassettetape to BadWolf.

"Does this shirt make me look like a party balloon?"-Mike

http://pinterest.com/marquesajen
lizziebird
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2009 05:39:21 PM »

I would make him a winter hat. Out of polar fleece if you don't knit/crochet...maybe jazz it up with some applique stuff?
He might use a pencil box or pouch. You could try making it out of something unique like potato chip bag (lined and covered w/ vinyl of course) I think someone else on here did that.
Hope you get it figured out.
Merry Christmas!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
psychobillybutterfly

I'm a Psychobilly Nerd and Proud

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009 03:06:26 PM »

When I was a kid to late teens my family had foster kids, lots of foster kids and each one had their own set of issues so believe me when I say that while annoying this kids could be so much worse.  It sounds like attention getting behavior so something personalized would go down best.  Since he's ten I'd say something like, if he has one, an Ipod cover with his inital on it, or fun sign for his bed room door that says something like "stay out genius/mad scientist at work". I did te sign once for an 11 year old and it went over great because it established his wanting privacy while making him feel goodbecause I saw him as a smart person who was planning 'evil deeds' behind closed doors.  I quick call to his mum also might reveal a few of his favorite things, the more personalized a simple gentric gift is the more speical he'll feel
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ugly. Is irrelevant. It is an immeasurable insult to a woman, and then supposedly the worst crime you can commit as a woman. But ugly, as beautiful, is an illusion. - Margaret Cho

My Wist - http://www.wists.com/psychobillybutterfly
My Pinrest - http://pinterest.com/sewsarcastic/
sminto
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2009 08:18:06 PM »

Lets see... I work with elementary kiddos so I'd say maybe some book covers he could use for school, maybe even make them with him? Perhaps let him pick out the fabric or something.. maybe a fabric he could write on and erase? The kids I work with always doodle and what not on their things. That also make me think of customizing a notepad for him to draw with or a fabric notebook cover. a crayon holder but you could make it to where it could hold map pencils/markers and of course.. make it for a boy! Umm.. maybe a sign to hang on his door? you can get those at the dollar store I think. Maybe find out some of his interests and get/make a poster. If he likes twilight, anime, etc ya know?

hope that helps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." -Albert Einstein
Check out my blog, Scissors and a Whisk!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Lavender Coconut Body Scrub
Tati Westbrook: 5 Minute Glam Look
Tati Westbrook: GlamLifeGuru
Katie McBroom: Martinis and Mascara
Carla Kokoszka: Fashion Maven Mommy
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...