A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 309,342
Currently Running With Scissors:
588 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: how to finish this quilt  (Read 1738 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jellybellygirl
« on: December 11, 2009 11:53:09 AM »

i am still pretty new to quilting, and my quilts are kamikaze at best hahaha...
but this is the front of a quilt i've made for my mom. nothing fancy:

and i'm just putting green fleece on the back so she can use it as a throw blanket.  now, is it necessery to use bias tape to finish a quilt, or can i just sew the fronts together, and flip it inside out?  what are the benefits of bias tape?

i just am not sure how i should finish this and i don't want to ruin it, either, which is why i came for a little advice.

thanks in advance!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cjclark
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.

Inside a dog it's too dark to read.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2009 05:13:29 PM »

Usually people use binding/bias tape because you kind of have to if you've quilted something - you can't quilt inside out and then flip it.

For a small throw, with fleece backing you probably could sew them together and flip it, and then do minimal quilting or just tie it.

I am planning one for Christmas that will be flannel squares on the front, fleece on the back and I had planned to sew the edges together and then flip it, and just stitch in ditch (basically along the seam lines of the squares) to hold it all together and make it look a little bit quilted.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Woohoo! Baby Clark is on the way. Due October 24th.
jellybellygirl
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2009 08:27:42 PM »

ya know, being new to all this, i didn't really think about that with the quilting and not being able to flip it!  thanks for that!

i think i am going to just sew it together, and maybe do some quilting along the seems just to keep it together. my husband picked out some yarn to do some tying, but i'm not sure if i'll do that or not, so... but thanks again! i really appreciate it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cc4ever
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2009 11:24:16 PM »

It looks like a good sized quilt to me. What are the measurements? In the past I have finished up a few quilts with your suggested method (bagging or pillow case style, sew all sides and leave an opening to turn it inside out). But are you planning on using some type of filler (batting)? You can try using flannnel (a good used sheet or new flannel sheet) will give it some weight. And for quilting, I would "tie it" instead of using quilting stitches or machine quilting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cc4ever
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2009 11:29:27 PM »

http://www.maryquilts.com/how-to-tie-a-heartstrings-quilt/
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jellybellygirl
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2009 10:28:58 AM »

it's about the size of a throw, 50x60 (i think it's 60 lol)...
i did end up stitching the sides together and flipping it. i gave it a top stitched edge, and i did tie it. i tied it on the solid blocks instead of every block.  the back is a heavier fleece so it feels nice and toasty. it will be nice for my moms living room. she uses a fireplace and it keeps it really warm, so i didn't want it to be too heavy.
i posted pictures of the finished quilt on the completely projects board..
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=330920.0
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009 11:11:10 AM by jellybellygirl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

cc4ever
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2009 10:59:26 PM »

Very nice! Your Mom is going to love it ! It came out really nice. I have to complete at least 4 quilt tops by the 24th (the tops are finished, it's the layering that has to be done), but using the bagging method and tying. At this moment I am hand quilting a lap sized quilt and almost finished and then do the binding. Can't post photos on here yet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jellybellygirl
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2009 11:16:08 PM »

thanks!   all i have left to work on for christmas is some minor stuff.. making everyone some mitten ornaments, my husband wants an apron... but i thought of making him a quilted throw, too, because he loved this one i did for my mom.  hmmm, that's a maybe hahaha.

good luck getting yours done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

agirlwrites
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2009 04:02:01 PM »

I had something similar in a packaged quilt that I did. It gave me the pieces to cut and sew and then no bias just turned it inside out and sewed up the edges and then back out to the regular way and then sewed the hole up. I'm just a beginner here. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jmk3482
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2010 11:56:52 AM »

I'm kinda new at quilting too and I realize this subject is a little old but I wanted to add something. I know there are traditional ways to make quilts and fancy ways to put binding on. But I guess I'm just lazy because as a seamstress who does clothing, I have a habit of looking at things as being sewn and then flipped inside out to finish. I found a youtube video of someone doing this with a very simple quilt and I think this a really fast way to do a quilt.

Here's the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5q0L57g8pBo

I intend to do this with my quilt. Then if you have a large quilt and don't want to pay to have it quilted, you could do the tie method someone else already mentioned.

Here's another video about tying quilts that I also think is really easy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kI6AcTqr-YM

I'm not knocking the traditional way to do a quilt. I think it's great to keep that alive. But although I like quilting, I like doing clothing better so quilting is not my first love. And I have a habit of short-cutting because I don't intend to sell anything I make. So, for a newbie, I think that these types of quilt short-cuts can help make you feel like you accomplished something rather than running into a lot of confusing methods and terminology.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://mysewingcircle.com/
A craft a day keeps the stabbiness away.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Fashion and Beauty Photography Lighting Set-Ups
How to Take Night Shots
Quick Little Charming Christmas Photo Shoot
How to Hack a Canon Camera Using CHDK
Differences Between Raw or JPEG Format
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Mother's Day Fridge Clip
Robin crafts! Hello spring!
I Scream, You Scream...

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...