A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,489
Currently Running With Scissors:
620 Guests and 35 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Black - Rainbow Reversible Hat - with pattern!  (Read 6383 times)
Tags for this thread: crochet_on_the_double , hat , pattern  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« on: December 11, 2009 06:27:38 AM »

Inspired by how ridiculously cold it's been here the last couple of days, I decided to drop everything I was working on and make myself a hat.

Black side out:

Rainbow side out:

Level of difficulty: if you already know how to do crochet-on-the-double, this is really really easy. If you don't, but you are comfortable with the Tunisian Simple Stitch, then you'll find this pattern somewhat easy once you get going on it.  If you don't know either of those techniques, I recommend learning them on something easier (perhaps a scarf?) before attempting this. ^_^

Yarn: Bernat Satin, uses the equivalent of 1 ball for each side of hat; for mine I used 1 ball of black and small amounts of 8 colours.

Hook: 6mm double-ended hook (J/10)

This pattern is for crochet-on-the-double (crochet-on-the-double tutorial), using the Tunisian Simple Stitch.  Each row has two parts, A and B, in A you lift loops onto the hook, in B you turn and work them off

MC = main colour
CC = contrasting colour

Pattern:
ch 50 in MC

Row 1A - lift up one loop in 2nd ch from hook, and in each subsequent ch (50 loops on hook, including starting loop)
Row 1B - turn, pull a loop of CC through first loop of MC. *pull a loop of CC through two loops* repeat until 1 loop of CC remains on hook.

Row 2A - loop on hook counts as first loop, insert hook from right to left through vertical bar of the second stitch from the hook on the previous row, pull up a loop of CC.  Do this for every subsequent stitch (50 loops on hook)

Row 2B - turn, pull a loop of MC through the first loop on hook.  *pull a loop of MC through two loops* repeat until 1 loop of MC remains.

Row 3A - pull up a loop in the second vertical bar from the hook, and continue to pull up loops until there are 2 vertical bars left (48 loops on hook)

Row 3B - turn, work loops off in CC

Row 4A - work loops on in CC (48 loops on hook)

Row 4B - turn, work loops off in MC

Row 5A - work loops on in MC until there are two vertical bars left (46 loops on hook)

Row 5B - turn, work loops off in CC

Row 6A - work loops on in CC (46 loops on hook)

Row 6B - turn, work loops off in MC

Row 7A - work loops on in MC until there are two vertical bars left (44 loops on hook)

Row 7B - turn, work loops off in CC

Row 8A - work loops on in CC (46 loops on hook)

Row 8B - turn, work loops off in MC

Row 9A - work loops on in MC until there are two vertical bars left (42 loops on hook)

Row 9B - turn, work loops off in CC

Row 10A - work loops on in CC (42 loops on hook)

Row 10B - turn, work loops off in MC

Row 11A - work loops on in MC until there are two vertical bars left (40 loops on hook)

Row 11B - turn, work loops off in CC

Row 12A - work loops on in CC (40 loops on hook)

Row 12B - turn, work loops off in MC

Row 13A - work loops on in MC, 40 loops from previous row, plus the 2 missed vertical bars from each previous row (50 loops on hook)

Row 13B - turn, work loops off in CC

Row 14A - work loops on in CC (50 loops on hook)

Row 14B - turn, work loops off in MC

One wedge made!

Repeat from 3A to 14B until you have 8 wedges

To finish, slip stitch to bind off both colours by *inserting the hook through the next vertical bar, pull a loop through it and the loop on the hook* until you reach the end. Do the MC first, then the CC.  Leave LONG tails.

Use the CC tail to sew the last row made to the first row (try to join it with the CC of the first row if you can).  Use the MC tail to weave in and out of the stitches at the top of the hat, pull tightly like a drawstring until the hole at the top is closed. Secure with a knot, then use the rest of that tail to sew the seam down on the MC side of the hat.

Weave in all ends.

To alter this pattern to fit better, or use a different yarn, etc. :

Make a swatch (I recommend making a scarf-sized swatch Wink) to determine how many stitches and rows you get per inch/cm.  Measure your head, and do some math. ^_^  

You can easily start with fewer stitches to make a shorter hat, do more "stop two stitches short of the end" rows to make the rounded-top part bigger, and change the number of wedges you do to fit a smaller or larger circumference.

To easily keep track while making this hat, I made sure that my "miss the last two stitches" rows always happened with the black yarn (MC in the pattern), and the CC rows were just repeating its previous row.  It'll make sense when you're doing it. ^_^

"Action" shots:

If you need any help with this pattern, feel free to ask!  If you spot any errors, let me know so that I can fix them. ^_^
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010 06:18:54 AM by fantasticmio - Reason: added US hook sizing information » THIS ROCKS   Logged

ConnieStieler
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2009 06:46:40 AM »

Love it!  I've never done crochet on the double, it looks really cool, does it give you a thicker fabric?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2009 06:53:19 AM »

I find it's about twice as thick as you'd expect from knitting with this yarn.  The stitches are closer together than with regular crocheting, so it's very warm.  ^_^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lody
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2009 10:45:04 AM »

Oh, I like the peek of color look-- kind of "classy yet still childish colorful fun" Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I like penguins, stars, rainbows and blue.
If your project has any of these, don't be surprised to see me post in it! Cheesy
fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2009 11:03:10 AM »

Oh, I like the peek of color look-- kind of "classy yet still childish colorful fun" Cheesy

That's what I had in mind when I first thought of using these colours, actually!  Mr.fantastic isn't a colour fanatic, so I was hoping that the black side would be toned-down enough that he'd be willing to be seen in public with me wearing it ^_-. 

Seriously, though, I wear a black coat, so I didn't want a black hat, and I figure the black side will be better for more... quiet... affairs, and the colourful side can be for the really really grey days of winter as a sort of pick-me-up. ^_^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

aethelberga
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2009 04:46:07 PM »

This is beautiful. I don't crochet very well, but you have inspired me to put this in my stash for future consideration.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2009 04:54:29 PM »

This is beautiful. I don't crochet very well, but you have inspired me to put this in my stash for future consideration.

That's fantastic!  I'm happy to be your enabler. ^_-
THIS ROCKS   Logged

StatGirl
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2009 07:43:00 PM »

I've never done crochet on the double...maybe it's time to learn. Love the hat!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LadyNole08
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2010 06:34:24 PM »

I know this is an older post but I couldn't help to comment! I love it! My question is could you do this with just TSS? I don't even want to go and buy another hook. I have too many from 2 tunisian hooks to about 15 aluminum and steel hooks. I was just sitting here thinking about a reversible hat but here in FL, we won't need warm hats 'til next year....lol! Plus, I had an idea to put in letters to make things more interesting. Thanks!

C
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.glamorfabulosa.com - coming soon
http://www.florida-gyrl.net - Blog and more...

WIPs:

3 bikinis
Hat with earflaps

Finished:
A beanie for my roommate (finished pic coming soon)
fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2010 02:02:31 AM »

Yep! Probably just skip one stitch at the end of each row to make a wedge with TSS. Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Dish Cloth Part 6/9
How to Crochet a Dish Cloth Part 2/9
How to Crochet a Dish Cloth Part 5/9
How to Crochet a Dish Cloth Part 9/9
How to Crochet a Diamond Cable Stitch Part 9/9
Latest Blog Articles
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...