A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,104
Currently Running With Scissors:
420 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: clown salth dough garland  (Read 2989 times)
Tags for this thread: salt_dough  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

veri
« on: December 10, 2009 07:11:57 AM »

I made this garland out of homemade salt dough last year for a new year's present for my nethew who was 4 month old at the time. I thought it'd be nice for him to watch some bright colors.

here are the clowns one by one:

My dear alpha male didn't like it too much so I was really scared they wouldn't like it either - but I guess they did - since they put it on the door of the children's room Smiley
How do you like it? Any comments greatly appreciated:)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010 06:41:14 AM »

How did I miss these?!!

What a wonderful addition to a nursery!

The colors are wonderful for a child and the clowns are not the scarey kind that I am afraid of!!

And they are made of salt dough? how do you keep it from drying and cracking?  if it is the same stuff I remember as a child...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tcmatteson

Baby it's cold outside...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010 07:18:00 AM »

I missed them, too! These are incredibly adorable! I love how each one is completely unique and the colors are so bright and cheerful! Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafter turned Soaper
Been away from Craftster for far too long Sad I miss this crafty community!
Simple & Clean Soapery on FB
Simple & Clean Soapery on etsy
veri
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010 08:27:57 AM »

thanks for the comments - I didn't mean you have to comment it - I just wanted to thank everybody at craftalong for the encouragement to move on from this unsuccesful topic Wink

And they are made of salt dough? how do you keep it from drying and cracking?  if it is the same stuff I remember as a child...

Yes, it's probably the same thing you remember - I do it with my kids, too Grin. The clowns are made of homemade salt dough: flour, salt and water - and nothing else. They are painted with acrilics with gloss finish.
To prevent cracking you have to turn your piece so that it can dry from both sides. I baked them first at low temperatuere and than I let them dry out for a while on the shelf. You could just air dry them but it would last a bit longer.

hehe, I'm not that fond of clowns either - but it's hard to find a "masculine-enough" theme for my nethews (their parents are a bit sensitive regarding that - they wouldn't let them play with pink toy stroller for instance Wink) I wanted them to be bright because the boy was only 4 months old last christmass and you know - babies of that age like bright colors.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010 09:37:00 AM »

Really cute!  And very appropriate for a little-kids-room.  I'm used to seeing polymer clay so these look a tad different (where the color is usually built into the clay instead of painted on), but painting stuff can be fun too.

I have a few questions, if you don't mind:

...Did you use a "gingerbread" type cutter, then add hair/hat bits of your own?  Or did you use a series of different clown figure cutters? (Or did you make the cutters yourself, or just cut the shapes out freehand?)

...You said in order to keep them from cracking, you baked the salt dough items a bit first then turned them as they dried.  I had always heard that to keep salt dough from cracking, items should dry as slowly as possible (which I guess means no added "heat"), though I know some salt doughs and other air-dry clays can be successfully heated (different formulas?)

...Have you ever used other air-dry clays?...especially "bread clay" for when you wanted to make very smooth and detailed things (and not too large):
http://www.google.com/search?num=50&hl=en&q=how+to+make+bread+clay
My understanding is that they're even nicer handling than salt dough clays.
And what about other air dry clays (paper-product based, or grain/flour based... homemade or purchased)? How did you feel about those if you've used any?

I think you also asked somewhere about where salt dough clay projects/discussions go here at Craftster, and the answer is there isn't any particular place.  (In fact, not too long ago there wasn't even a board for polymer clay and pottery clay.)  
I'd guess though that the polymer clay board would be more "right" for things like this since "earth clays" are used mostly for larger and lower-detail items, and also because at Craftster at least, polymer clayers concentrate mostly on "sculpts" (not all the other things polymer clay can do).  Also the whole topic of firing pottery clays and baking/curing polymer clays are whole big issues, and totally different.  
You'd always want to say you were using an air-dry clay though just to keep any confusion down, and even specify which one since they can be quite different.  
You'd probably want the Completed Projects sub-board under polymer clay though since I'm not sure how many members there could problem-solve/discuss the finer points of air-dry clays... I think a number of them would be interested in knowing about the various types though for more options.  Many people (everywhere) don't seem to know the differences between the types of "clay" though and that they aren't interchangeable in many ways for certain techniques and added materaisl, so I'd hope it would be clear each time it wasn't polymer clay just which type of clay and brand was being given info about.  
(Or, you could try to get a sub-board for those clays in addition to the sub-boards for polymer and pottery clay --good luck on that one though!...lol).  

Diane B.

P.S.  If you do click on that "bread clay" link above, would you tell me if it works okay for you and what system you're using? ... I've had some weirdnesses with search-string links since changing to Chrome (on my Mac).
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010 09:45:56 AM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
veri
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010 11:32:12 AM »

I used one gingerbread cutter for all of the clowns and added my detail. All the modifications of the shapes were freehanded.

If you dry your pieces that are from very different thickness at too high temperature, the salt dough can crack. But it can be baked - it basically like really salty non-leavened bread Smiley. just not too long on to high. Some people advise to bake it slowly in 50C (120 F) for the whole night but I baked it higher (up to 120C - that's 250F) for 1,5 h to 2 h. I don't know about comertial salt dough since I never used it but the baking works fine for my homemade stuff. Just have to watch not to brown it if you don't want that. (it can be a desired effect sometimes)

I haven't used bread clay yet but I plan to. I found an idea in a vintage book - it called for stale bread without crust and white glue. the link you pasted works on my pc (laptop, really cheap one, I use mozilla and google to search as well).

I have used othe air drying clays, of course. I like them a lot - just don't like the price and the fact that they aren't water proof. I know, polimer clay is even pricier but it can not be made at home and it comes in very nice colors and is water proof which makes it very handy plus I'm in love with it - so you can't price love, right?Wink Something that could be ruined in case it gets into the water I can make out of salt dough as well;) But I like airdrying clays as well. I just feel comfortable with knowing my material is cheap and I can do mistakes if I need to;) i love paperclay! It's really so soft and pliable and gives excelent resluts! But for this garland I'd use 2 block at least and that can get expencive - the clowns are a bit thick for sturdiness - they hang on a door - they have to be sturdy.
I've made stuff out of different kind of air drying clays - I don't remember them all but I really liked Porzella for it's fine texture and detail, I used homemade and purchased papier mache as well and of course air drying clay called Das (avalible in white and teracota and now also in colours but haven't used the colored variety yet). there were other but I honestly don't remember now. I'll write later when I remember. I also added paints or spices INTO the clays and got some interesting resluts with good review by the readers (in a small local magasine - sadly the firm got split and they stoped publishing it Sad).

Thank you for the answer to put this kind of things into pc board. (I think moderators would be really into the idea of making them more work and making another board for this kind of clays;). I didn't know where to put it - it sure isn't polymer clay but it isn't pottery either. I'll put it into pc until we get a new board;)

I hope the answers helped - are you writing another glassattic on airdrying clays?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BethieB

Welcome to the nuthouse, enjoy your stay! :D

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010 12:15:06 PM »

Okay, first of all, I don't know how I didn't see this either!  Second of all, I understand about the feelings towards clowns.  My mother is terrified of them and tried to pass her fear on to us.  I resisted.  I don't LOVE clowns, but I don't hate or fear them either.  In the past, however, I HAVE hated salt dough clay.  One of my little sisters used to make it at home all the time to make (ugly, lol) decorations for the house and our room, and never would clean up her mess, so I grew to really really hate it. 

After seeing your salt dough clowns, I have to say, I may be making some salt dough myself!  I love how bright the paints look and how smooth the surface is.  This is great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog: http://messymama.wordpress.com
Am taking a crafting/posting hiatus and formally withdrawing from all the CAL's I was in.  Need time to recharge and rewire.  But, I am still lurking and loving you guys like crazy, keep posting the amazing projects!!!  You all rock!
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make all things!!

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010 12:21:05 PM »

That is why we put the "etc" in some of the boards to encompass other, perhaps atypical media,that most of the general public is not that familiar with...if we had a board for every single thing, it would become way too chaotic...there are so many opportunities to link to more specific "how to" websites and also to learn details at youtube, etc.

While I think that some people want to know every little nuance of their particular media, most just want to post finished projects and perhaps dabble a bit...I know if I want to make something I am not familiar with, I go outside of this forum....in my opinion, information overload is not why I come to craftster...I just like to "ooo" and "aaaah" and get ideas, not necessarily the how-to's...

This board is fine and your post definitely made me curious to try this out! But maybe not in clowns Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

maria isabel
blah blah blah

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2010 12:49:41 PM »

This is so cute! I used to make everything out of salt dough since I had no money for materials, I even made a doll's face and hands.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Too many ads ruin a mediocre site.
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Make all things!!

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2010 01:33:20 PM »

Marie isabel--I want to make faces for various goddess dolls and beaded dolls--did you use a mold or did you simple shape them? I think this would be perfect since the cracking would actually be the look I am going for...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Sony Vegas tutorial: How to make 2 or more clones
How to Find Recent Files in Photoshop
Invert Adjustment Layer-Make a Color Infra Red Effect Action
Kick it Off #3-Soft Focus & Screening
Kick it Off #4 - Setting Type Part 1
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...