A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 296,748
Currently Running With Scissors:
585 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Book Safes for Vices  (Read 6997 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

TheMistressT
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

Dahlin, I'm so glamorous I cry glitter tears.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: December 07, 2009 10:50:22 PM »

So, I wanted to give The ManFlesh's super nice sister and brother-in-law gifts this Christmas, but I don't know them that well and they can buy anything they want, pretty much.  So I was poking around the internet and found for sale a book safe with a flask in it and thought that might do the trick for the brother-in-law.

For the humor of irony, it's a religious book, but not a sacred text. 

Being that the brother-in-law is named John, I was able to find a page with a section title referring to "John's Revelation" and used that to line the bottom of the cavity.

While searching around I came upon the idea of using a book safe to hide chocolate and that's perfect for The ManFlesh's sister who, like their mom, always has some chocolate around.  I wanted to be able to put more than a single bar in there, so it's a bigger book, an "Encyclopedia of Modern Art" of some sort and has this cool cover.

Two cavities in there cut to fit 2 sizes of chocolate bars. 

I made this one first and it was probably a mistake as the thickness of it was a real challenge and maybe with more experience I'd have been able to keep it neater.

These will be the first gifts we've ever given together and I feel honored he'd trust me to make something for his family that's from him, too.   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Indiana
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009 11:33:11 PM »

Very cool. I love the mystery that surrounds Book Safes, I can picture them sitting on a dusty old bookshelf with a secret room hidden behind it. (I think I may have seen too many movies! lol)

Really though, I think it's a great pressie idea, I am sure they will love them and they can use them to hide whatever they want later on. I personally would be very happy to receive such a gift from my in-laws and homemade gifts are always a big hit.

Have a great Christmas.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm interested in personal swaps, PM me!

Happy Crafting! Smiley
pinokeeo

Best of 2013 winner, but this is just as good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009 07:17:46 AM »

Great idea, and it will be a good present for anyone.

I've made several of these, and I always line mine with black felt.  It dresses up the inside and hides the ragged edges where I cut out the pages.

Nice job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009 07:23:26 AM »

oh how cute to have a place to hide chocolate!! 

The fact that you made something so personal makes this an extra special gift!

and, also something that probably is easy to give to the person who "has everything"!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheMistressT

There's not much in this world that can't be improved by either chocolate, bacon or glitter.

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009 08:05:53 AM »

Very cool. I love the mystery that surrounds Book Safes, I can picture them sitting on a dusty old bookshelf with a secret room hidden behind it. (I think I may have seen too many movies! lol)

Really though, I think it's a great pressie idea, I am sure they will love them and they can use them to hide whatever they want later on. I personally would be very happy to receive such a gift from my in-laws and homemade gifts are always a big hit.

Have a great Christmas.  Cheesy

Thanks!  They have lots of books around their house, as the sister is a voracious reader (as much as one can be with 2 little kids and a business to run these days) so these should sneak right into their library.

Great idea, and it will be a good present for anyone.

I've made several of these, and I always line mine with black felt.  It dresses up the inside and hides the ragged edges where I cut out the pages.

Nice job.

Thank you!  I, too, had planned on lining them with some kind of fabric, but in the depth there is not any space to spare!  Once I glued the top paper down (done after everything else) I liked them better and kind of ended up liking seeing the layers of excavated paper - it feels archeological to me.

oh how cute to have a place to hide chocolate!! 

The fact that you made something so personal makes this an extra special gift!

and, also something that probably is easy to give to the person who "has everything"!

Thanks!  I think they'll like and appreciate them.  They seem to appreciate handmade things.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mrsflibble

will work for yarn

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009 08:20:38 AM »

oh how I wish you'd done this in october so I could have nicked the idea for my sister in law's xma pressie lol!!

as it is she's getting a handbag made from ties, but still.....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheMistressT

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2009 08:23:35 AM »

oh how I wish you'd done this in october so I could have nicked the idea for my sister in law's xma pressie lol!!

as it is she's getting a handbag made from ties, but still.....

A handbag made from ties sounds pretty awesome to me!  There's always next year and her birthday, though, right?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jennythereader
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2009 01:00:43 PM »

I have to ask:  What did they end up thinking of these?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheMistressT

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2009 05:12:27 PM »

I have to ask:  What did they end up thinking of these?

They seemed to really like them!  And then especially liked them when they realized that I made them.  YEY!  Thanks for checking in, jennythereader!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

habitat-lady
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2009 04:48:32 PM »

You never cease to amaze me, you are so clever!  Those are fabulous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I'll fix dinner right after I _______ this!  You fill in the blank: sew, hammer, glue, tack, press, cut, etch, tie, paint, draw, color, iron, solder, grout, saw, cross stitch, bend, stain, wire, build, weave.

http://www.wists.com/habitat-lady
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Get Summer Music Festival Makeup
Veronique Branquinho Fall 2014 Paris Fashion Week Interviews & Runway
5 Swimsuits Perfect for Any Body Type
The No-Fail Guide to Pool Party Style This Summer
Wedding Guest Style Tips
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...