A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,127
Currently Running With Scissors:
587 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Attaching polymer clay components  (Read 1781 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Bionic Dingo
Cunning Artificer

View Profile
« on: December 07, 2009 10:26:31 PM »

I'm wondering if anybody would mind sharing the technique for attaching polymer clay or plastic components (ie; hand sculpted claws or horns) to a stuffed toy. I had a poke around both the boards and google but I'm drawing a blank. Is anyone able to enlighten me?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<< I'm on Etsy!  www.magpiehouse.etsy.com >>
aisy
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010 12:52:30 PM »

doubt this is the best method but i always use hot glue-ive also heard of people poking holes in the items before baking and then sewing them to the doll.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Duenda
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010 02:48:50 PM »

I usually atach a metal ring to the polymer clay piece and then sew the piece to the doll. If needed I aply glue, but I prefer sewing, it is cleaner and I think it is more resistent than glued pieces.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

uropygid
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010 12:06:31 PM »

If I'm using small parts, like teeth or narrow/small claws, I prefer to use elasticlay. It's really difficult to sculpt with, but when baked/cured it stays pretty flexible... I don't even need to poke holes in it, it's still soft enough after curing that you can just stab the needle through it.

Otherwise I just poke a bunch of holes in the polymer clay parts before curing, to make sure the holes stay I like to use pins and leave them in the parts while they bake. (Be sure to use pins that don't have plastic heads, of course!)

I sew them in with strong thread through the holes, even with claws I try to get at least two holes per claw. Then I put a little dab of tacky or super glue around the stitches and press the fabric to it for extra hold  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Max

live in the MN metro? I'm always up for craft meets!
Wolfina2
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2010 08:49:16 PM »

I've done this a couple times

I usually make the pieces a lot like the plastic eyes you get for teddy bears and stuff animals the part then a piece of wire in the back with polymer clay around it sticking out in the back, then i grab a washer. Make a small hole in the fabric
stick it through, put the washer on the opposite side, the use a little hot glue under the washer for added strength!

Good luck with your project :3
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cayora
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010 10:10:38 PM »

Another method that might work for horns, or even for larger bits like sculpted faces, is to sculpt it with a wider ring around the bottom, then create a hole in the cloth part smaller than that ring.  Then, you can just push it through and it'll stay in place well when it is stuffed.  This method also works well with amigurumi.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

And the city was her grave and the city was her coffin and her epitaph.
----
The Other City Dolls
Blog
Art Doll Store
Gossamer Girl Store
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet Sugar Cookie Candle Wreaths
How to Crochet Remembrance Poppies
Simple Ways to Decorate Pumpkins
Pumpkin Picking Tips
Different Types of Pumpkins
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...