A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 296,698
Currently Running With Scissors:
560 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Making Homemade Crochet Hooks from Chopsticks  (Read 58667 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , crochet_hook  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sedrasmom
« on: April 24, 2005 12:19:07 AM »

I loved the one wooden crochet hook I had, but I misplaced it somehow. When I couldn't find it, I decided to try making one for myself. Turns out it's super easy! I made the rough cuts using a scroll saw (you could just use a knife or hacksaw for this if you don't have a scroll saw) then I did a lot of shaping using a large file, followed by coarse then fine sandpaper. To help the yarn glide, I waxed the hooks by rubbing them against a candle. I have no idea exactly what size any of these are, but I don't use patterns, so for me, gauge is unimportant. I made the biggest hook in this picture from a wider scrap of dowel because my daughter asked me to make one for her. She fancied it up with markers, and did the candle rubbing by herself, then we glued a big bead onto the end of it. I think it only took me about 10-15 minutes to make one, except the first one which took longer because I had to think more. I tried them out and they work fine, so I'm thrilled with how these turned out. And, besides, I had way too many chopsticks. Cheesy

Edited to insert tutorial:
I drew a rough sketch of the cuts to make, but the instructions came out too small to read when I saved it small enough for uploading to craftster's picture hosting.

This is what I'm getting at - from left to right -

1 - Cut the stick to desired length
2 - Cut a little off the full length of the handle and cut the neck swoop. Extend the neck swoop cut a little past where you want the point of the hook to be. (Actually you could probably get by without trimming the whole handle if you wanted. It wouldn't make that much difference.)
3 - Cut an upward notch - forming the hook part - to meet the cut you made in step 2 for the neck swoop.
4 - cut a little off the top to make it pointy. optionally, trim a handle swoop for a comfy grip area.
5 - (This is supposed to represent the front view....) Trim the other corners of the top to make them pointy, like in the last step. Trim a little off the sides by the neck so that part is skinnier than the handle.

After that, file all the points down to shape it the way you want, then sand it down smooth. Follow with the waxing method of your choice.

Happy hooking!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009 11:22:27 AM by sweets4ever » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If you never did, you should. These things are fun and fun is good!" - Dr. Seuss
starpiste
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2005 12:55:59 AM »

That's such a good idea and totally impressive way of reusing chopsticks!

A very cute picture too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

girlypirate
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

my arms are too short to box with God.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2005 06:27:24 AM »

very cool. i moved and stickied this topic so no one misses it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
crochet hooker12
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2005 12:02:16 PM »

Very nice. I was very envious of knitters who could make their own needles. When you say you
waxed the hooks by rubbing them against a candle
did you litterally rub them on the side of an unlit candle?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Mowing your lawn is against nature!" Rufus' response to Rev. Sheldon's comment about homosexuality being against nature
sedrasmom
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2005 01:10:50 AM »

Thanks for the compliments! As for the waxing, yes, I took a little stub of an unlit candle out of the holder and rubbed it all over the whole crochet hook to give it a light coating of wax. You could also use wax paper, furniture wax, or various finishing oils, but I didn't have any so I just used a candle. I still can't for the life of me figure out why I don't have any wax paper. I don't remember running out. I probably used it for some other project and left it on a high shelf somewhere. Oh well. The candle worked just fine.

Monica
« Last Edit: April 25, 2005 05:12:35 PM by sedrasmom » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If you never did, you should. These things are fun and fun is good!" - Dr. Seuss
liliesinmycereal
lilies in my cereal

i design with every breath

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2005 08:22:10 AM »

this is amazing.. I want to try this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

littleone1098

Let them eat cake she said

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2005 08:27:52 AM »

Wow. Knitting needles...duh, easy to make, but crochet hooks never even crossed my mind, you're awesome.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Every morning when I wake up I experince an exquisite joythe joy of being Salvador Daland I ask myself in rapture, What wonderful things this Salvador Dal is going to accomplish today?" -The one and only
sedrasmom
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2005 05:15:57 PM »

After making all these hooks, my store-bought wooden crochet hook that I was looking all over for turned up today. I kinda figured if I replaced it, then it would decide to come out of hiding. Smiley

Monica
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Keridiana
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2005 08:39:54 PM »

My grandma used to do this coz she was po'.  Except she used rice to wax the hooks.  That takes FOREVER.  Candle is a good idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sedrasmom
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2005 08:47:46 PM »

Rice has wax???
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Sharon Draper: What Are You Reading?
Pulitzer Prize Winner Doris Kearns Goodwin on Christmas Memories
Jessica Lamb-Shapiro: What Are You Reading?
New Harry Potter Story: JK Rowling Working On Upcoming Play
Produce Buying Tips
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...