A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 301,520
Currently Running With Scissors:
573 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Christmas Gift Bags  (Read 1235 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

BlueCherryFaerie
« on: December 07, 2009 09:46:59 AM »

Every year I try to make some reusable cloth gift bags for Christmas.  These are the ones I've made recently. 

This first one was made from a pattern/directions found a book called "Omiyage" by Kumiko Sudo.  The pattern is called candy twist.  These 2 bags were made from 3 different fabrics.  I tweaked the pattern just a little after making the first one just to suit my tastes.

Closed - when these are drawn up, they look like Christmas Tree ornaments. 

Open

Close up

My pattern, using 3 different fabrics

Open

Closed/Drawn up and tied

This one is also one of my patterns.  Its made from 3 different fabrics and has jingle bells on each of the points.

Open

Closed

The last 2 are smaller bags made from 2 different fabrics each.  The one on the left was made from scrap pieces with on pattern.  The one on the right was made from the book I mentioned above.  The pattern is called Chrysanthemum.  It makes a very small bag, only fit for jewelry. 

I have more information and pictures of some of these on my blog, but this is pretty much it.  I think they all turned out great.  I'm thinking of increasing the size of the candy twist bags, to make bigger gift bags.  But we will see.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dr_marti
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009 09:56:40 AM »

So cute and festive!  I especially like the "candy twist" bags.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
notanotherxerox
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009 05:32:58 PM »

They are so cute! I'm really big on recycling and reusing and make gift bags for all the presents I give out, but these are so much nicer. I'm going to have to pick up that book. I'm really glad you shared these with us:)

-Tabitha
THIS ROCKS   Logged

One of a kind upcycled greeting cards
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ReCardCreations
Send someone a smile, help the Earth
xperimentl
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009 06:56:33 PM »

Who needs a gift when you get such a cool bag?  The candy twists look really impressive and time consuming.  I like your patterns, too.  Beautiful job.  Thanks for sharing the book and blog info, too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You can't use up creativity.  The more you use, the more you have."  Maya Angelou

My Flickr
My Pinterest
pinokeeo

You cannot master what you will not try

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009 07:41:17 PM »

I agree, the bag should be the gift.  These are amazing and very festive.  Nice job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 projects-shooting for 100--- 60 done
BlueCherryFaerie
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2009 08:01:12 AM »

Thanks everyone.  Yes the candy twist pattern was VERY time intensive, but worth the results I think.  As for the book, its got some other really neat bags in it.  The full title of the book is "Omiyage:  Handmade Gifts from Fabric in the Japanese Tradition" so the bags could easily be used for gifts.  None of the patterns make bags that would hold much more than jewelry or small toys, but I think they could be adapted easily. There are over 35 patterns in the book and a majority are different kinds of bags/boxes/containers of some kind.  If you don't want to buy it, atleast check it out from your local library, its worth a good look.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Apply Blur Cream
Holiday Beauty: Glam Up and Glow
Spa Treatment That Slims You Down Instantly
How to Contour the Pounds Away
Smoky Eye and Bold Lip Makeup Tutorial
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decorative Bulletin Board
Rain, rain, you don't have to go away...
Tute Tuesday: Latch Hooked Rag Rug

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...