A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 302,582
Currently Running With Scissors:
582 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crocheted seed bead bracelets NOW with Low-Tech Tutorial  (Read 3625 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

moefen
« on: April 23, 2005 10:02:46 PM »

Just finished these two today:

Apologies for the crappy photos, there isn't enough light in our apartment, and with the flash is WAY TOO BRIGHT.

Pretty simple, and mindless once you get going.  Incidently, its also my first crochet project ever.

The beads are a matte Dark green mix (but it has lots of olive and purple in it as well), size 6.  I think each one used about 30 g of beads.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2005 03:55:19 PM by moefen » THIS ROCKS   Logged
stripyk

thats me in that photo. my name is actually Chloe

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2005 04:35:38 AM »

wow. that loks really effective. i've always wanted to try crochet but after looking at my knitting attempts i dont think i should bother.
well done
 Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hello
RaeAmazon

The Amazon Woman of North America

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2005 05:14:01 AM »

Those are beautiful!   Great bead choice, and they look perfect!  I am so curious about how one might do this!
I crochet and I am a bead addict, so this seems like a nice combination of the two.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am a writer but I still believe this:

Never settle with words what you can accomplish with a flamethrower.
706Designs
"To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong" -Joseph Chilton Pearce

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2005 07:18:23 AM »

Nice job!  I love beads and tried this a couple of months ago....and, er, I only got about 1/4 inch.  It drove me bonkers!  Tongue  Keep up the great work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
moefen
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2005 03:53:52 PM »

Thanks for the nice comments, yeah, i also love the matte seed bead mixes.  They make me think of beach glass.

I gotta say, it was pretty easy, once you get it.  Just whips along mindlessly.  But the first couple of rows are more difficult, and the first piece I made (about 3 inches long) took me nearly 4 hours - probably cause I had never crocheted anything and didn't know how to hold the yarn.

Based on an article from Bead and Button Aug 2003 (the author was making a necklace crocheted around a wire core to hold its shape)

I used size 6 seed beads (a helpful hint for the first attempt is to use two colours and alternate them, it makes stripes and much easier to see where you  are going)

Thread or yarn small enough to fit beads, but not let them slide a lot. Also reasonably strong.   If it is tight to pull two strands of the yarn through the bead, then thats a good match.  I used black crochet cotton in some unknown size.

Also unknown size of crochet hook.  Its small and shiny steel.  Says "3" but that could be an English or American number.  Gauge really doesn't matter here, cause the beads force the gauge anyway.

Basic idea: the crochet stitches are on the inside of the tube, the beads sit outside of the stitches.  Crochet needle goes from inside to out.  Every bead needs to be locked down, so thread must pass over the lower row to hold them in place.  Thread is pulled through loops, but beads stay on outside.
Beads lying sideways are the ONLY ones to be worked.  Beads sitting vertically are finished.

String lots of beads onto the thread.  Don't cut it off the ball.  Alternate two colours of beads in stringing one of each to make life easier learning.

Crochet 6 stitches, join end with slip stitch.

First row:  Put hook under two loops of first stitch, from inside circle to out.  Push bead down thread to hook, catch thread with hook ABOVE bead, pull thread through stitch, then through slip stich on needle.  Will now have one loop on needle. 6 beads on circle, all lying sideway.

Next row (and ever after) : Hook under first bead lying sideways, push bead over the right side of hook, lift thread over bead now sitting to the right of the hook (this is what locks the bead down), slide a new bead down thread, hook thread above new bead, pull through stitch, then pull through slip stitch.  Repeat forever.

Using alternating colours will mean that the new bead you work will be the same colour as the one to hook into.  Here's a pic of the learner piece, the stripes look quite cute:

The only things to remember are thread over old bead, and hook above new bead!

To finish, crochet one round with no beads.  Trim ends.  Use buttonhole thread to weave two ends together.

Next ones I make, I would like to throw in random, jagged chips for more texture.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tinkertoy
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2006 09:36:46 PM »

Wow. Those are super.  Have you done any bead-weaving? Is this any faster?  I make bead woven bracelets and want to sell them, but it is just so time consuming for me it seems not profitable at all.  This looks like a great way  to get a similar effect- I'm going to have to pick up a crochet hook and give this a try.  Thanks for the tutorial!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Peppermint Twist Baby Hat Part 8/15
How to Crochet a Peppermint Twist Baby Hat Part 7/15
How to Crochet a Peppermint Twist Baby Hat Part 6/15
How to Crochet a Peppermint Twist Baby Hat Part 5/15
How to Crochet a Peppermint Twist Baby Hat Part 13/15
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...