A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 296,586
Currently Running With Scissors:
533 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Extreme Room Makeover: Spooky Pooky Goth/Whimsy Edition! EXTREMELY PIC HEAVY!!!  (Read 20365 times)
Tags for this thread: bedroom , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

SpookyPooky
~Where monsters and Wonderland come to life~

I myself am, strange and unusual.

View Profile WWW
« on: December 06, 2009 04:34:35 PM »

Teaser Photo!

So, even though my bedroom is not complete, I am too impatient and want to post it already! It is complete for the most part anyway, just a few minor details are needed.

Back when I was a junior in high school, we re-did my room with a safari/old world theme and it was awesome. But the plan was for me to move out by the time I got tired of it and it would be turned into a guest room. That plan did not include me moving back in 6 years later after finishing school. By the time I moved in all my new stuff from college and all my precious collectibles (crap as my brother calls it) and my awesome presents from swaps, not only was my room PACKED, there was no theme left and it just didn't fit me.

Since my parents are amazingly awesome, they gave me the go-ahead to re-decorate my room however I wanted. I wish I would have taken progress pictures in between the before and after because stripping that wall paper was a hellish ordeal and took an entire day. Anyways, these are the before pictures:

(Like I said, when it was first done, it was really cute, but my new stuff took over when I moved back in.)

As you can see...it is just one big cluttered mess!

So now for the fun part! I wanted a room that represented me and everything I love. My main focus was too tidy up the clutter and put all my stuff in one big display and I also wanted something that I could keep adding stuff too (seeing as how I am addicted to swapping and shopping at strange boutiques!) And of course, it needed to represent my quirky personality. So I chose black and white since any colors can be added to that, and it fits my candy goth style. So here you have it! Mancy new digs:

The new door, where it all begins:

I found the bed-set at K-mart for 25 bucks! It is perfect for my room! The actual bed is part of an antique set, and the nightstand is also part of my childhood set so I cannot paint them. But I do plan on replacing the nightstand with a black one when I can find a cheap thrifted one to paint.  Grin

This part took awhile to figure out. It is made of 4 panels of material I got on sale at Joann's for a total of 40 dollars. It was the most expensive part of the room.

First we tried using spray glue to glue the material on the wall, but it created dark spots where some of the glue bled through. Then we tried nailing the panels to the top in loose billows but it wasn't laying right at the bottom. Finally, my mom sewed two small seams at the top and bottom of each panel, and we took two wires and ran them through the top of the seams. Then we took wires and nailed them into all four corners of the top and bottom part where the panels laid and ran them like curtains. I LOVE the end result! It reminds me of Lemony Snickets or Sweeney Todd.

My clutter solution was pretty simple. I found the black shelves at Walmart for 20 bucks and though they are cheap, they still look nice. And then I already had the corner shelves that I spray painted black. I made a Tim Burton themed shelf and a Coraline shelf and I put all my skelanimals in a Walmart Halloween bin I got on clearance. I also bought some smaller bowls and baskets as catch-alls for my books, purse, keys and other stuff. I love that all my stuff is now on display and kind of themed out.

This is by far my favorite part of the room! I free-handed this with black latex paint and small brushes. It was inspired by  stumbling upon this accidentally one day: http://www.gearfuse.com/bring-tim-burton-fx-to-your-living-room/

The little bench is temporary. I want to find a small table to put there, but until I find one, the bench is sufficing fine enough. I also have a really cool twisted branch I found that I am going to put in the giant vase, but I am going to paint it black first. It's just too cold to go outside to spray paint right now!

This is my Burton/Selick display. I have my Coraline poster and my Tim Burton movie pictures up there, along with the fabulous Edward doll craftewoman made for me. The shelf has all the Burton Tragic Toys lined up on it. I also painted that little curion cabinet black and silver to match, since the previous green and oak clashed horribly. I have some crocheted Edward Scissorhands and Beetlejuice dolls coming from shelina in a personal swap soon that I will have to make room for! Grin

I also painted the cabinet black since it was just another cheap Walmart cabinet I bought years ago. It really made a huge difference to the room!

This just makes me laugh:

So there you go! Hope I didn't exhaust you. Wink I plan on making a valance for my window with the bedskirt that I didn't use and finding a cool rug to match the room, but for the most part, I am pretty content with the space. Thanks for looking! Grin

« Last Edit: December 06, 2009 05:10:52 PM by SpookyPooky » THIS ROCKS   Logged

porcelain.legend.jewelry

Porcelain.legend.jewelry

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2009 04:51:34 PM »

Unique Style~~ impressive   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Porcelain Legend---The Best Artisan & Brand of Antique Broken China Jewelry
Ebay.COM ID: porcelain.legend.je welry
http://members.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewUserPage&userid=porcelain.legend.jewelry

http://www.etsy.com/shop/porcelainlegend
aisy
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2009 04:59:11 PM »

i love your room-and collectibles Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Summerland1975

Ickle Me Pickle Me Tickle Me Too

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2009 05:03:08 PM »

Well Done!  Your uniqueness shines through your design style!  Only a true artist could have a room so eclectically put together. My favorite spot is the "ink-blot" painted corner.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"...sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast." -Alice
SpookyPooky

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2009 05:18:20 PM »

Aww, thanks you guys! I really appreciate it! I wish I had better photos to give a better representation, but such is life. Thanks for your kind words!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MacesMeMe

My Bully the DoofyDoo

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2009 05:22:35 PM »

My daughter just turned 5 this week and she would have a field day in your room! Its great, I can not show her this or she will want it, lol.
Where did you find the bone dogs under your bed? She wants one and I have no idea where to get her one, or what they are called.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my kids reupholstered recliner
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=314248.0
SpookyPooky

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2009 05:27:01 PM »

lol, that is awesome that your 5 year old likes that kind of stuff! The animals are called "Skelanimals." You can get them at stores like Hot Topic or places like that. Target featured them for Halloween this year, and some stores may still have them. But if all else fails, you can get them on Amazon or Ebay, too. Just search "skelanimals" and you will find tons of different types of animals and sizes! Hope that helps! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

twonderland
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2009 05:51:49 PM »

So lovely! where did you get your coraline dolls if you dont mind me asking..:]
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LittleGirl
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2009 06:24:07 PM »

LOVE IT! I feel like we are kindred souls. It looks exactly like my house.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SpookyPooky

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2009 06:32:25 PM »

So lovely! where did you get your coraline dolls if you dont mind me asking..:]

Thank you! Well, the Coraline Replica doll and little chibi Coraline were made by craftster's very own sushiluvzombie and the little Coraline action figure dolls were bought off of Ebay. The one still in the box is a special edition comic-con one which I think is still available on sites like Ebay and Amazon. Smiley

LOVE IT! I feel like we are kindred souls. It looks exactly like my house.  Smiley

Thank you! I would love to see your house, in that case! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Popcorn Lovers Day Party Snack Ideas
Smoked Foods Take Over American Menus
Patriotic Picnic Basket Ideas for the 4th of July
Zingy Lemon Cake Recipe
How to Make a Hot Turkey Sandwich with Teriyaki Mushrooms
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Art Dolls
Meatless Monday: Texas Pecan Pesto
@Home This Weekend: Celebrate Your State

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...